Lulumahu Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1382)
Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve

Lulumahu Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,040 feet Route Type: Loop

private property

The beginning of this trail has been updated on 1/31/2019 including user feedback about the entrance. The fence mentioned in comments is marked by the first waypoint. NOTE: This trail is located on private government property owned by the Honolulu Board of Water Supply and considered trespassing if you do not have a permit. It is not maintained and there are no signs telling visitors where to go. Please be respectful of the trail and pick up all trash. Do not attempt this hike if it is raining as the stream can be very dangerous after and during heavy rainfall. One of Oahu's most popular unsanctioned hiking trails, Lulumahu Falls Trail traverses into a dense bamboo forest, along the Nu'uanu Reservoir and up to Lulumahu Falls, a 50 foot plus waterfall. This short hike includes beautiful views of Hawaii, stream crossings and muddy rock paths. Although a short drive from Honolulu's Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head this trail is off the beaten path and can be tricky to find. The trailhead can be accessed from the Pali Highway via Old Paki Road before the Pali Lookout. Nearby Oahu hikes include Manoa Falls, a 150 foot waterfall accessible via a maintained trail with restrooms, the famous Pali Lookout, the Kaniakapupu Ruins (summer palace of King Kamehameha III and Queen Kalama) and the Windward Coast featuring two of the most beautiful beaches on the Island of Oahu - Lanikai and Kailua Beaches. Visit the Hawaiian Islands Alltrails page for more waterfall hikes.

The trail isn’t clearly marked so we took a 30 minute detour on accident. Bring water and shoes you don’t mind getting muddy and wet.

Lulumahu Falls is a little less than 2 miles. You will have to pass through the stream a few times and climb over a few rocks, but all in all it’s a pretty easy hike. I did it a few years ago with my kids (5 & 12 at the time) and this time we had 3, 4 & 6 year olds with us. You’ll have to help them over the rocks and through the stream, but it’s a nice adventure for them. I would not call this “easy” or “medium” but it’s easier. The waterfall was awesome, but very cold. I would recommend going a little early because there were a lot of people hiking at 9:30/10:30. Last but not least, bring an extra pair of shoes for the car ride home because you will get wet. Happy hiking!

It was a great experience muddy in some sections but very worth it walking through stream a lot of overhead cover after past water shed. We highly recommend it. don't forget to get a permit and place in car windshield from DLNR website $2.50

Short hike. Took about 30 minutes each way. Trail is marked with blue & pink ribbons. If in doubt hike along stream. Trail is muddy. Encountered intermittent groups along path. Larger gathering of people at waterfall.

private property

Shhh--! One of the best hikes on Oahu! Continue straight past the cement block. Do not turn left into the mountain.

private property

Just follow the river! This hike is super confusing because you have to switch back over the river multiple times but as long as your following the river, you’ll get to the waterfall. It’s a fairly easy hike, I see people doing it with dogs and also children! And the waterfall is gorgeous no place to really swim though. It gets crowded super fast so good luck! If you have any questions feel free to DM me @thehikingPomeranian or check out my highlights I have pictures about this trail on there!

Really enjoyed this trail! Don’t know why it says no dogs. On the permit it says leashed animals and we saw plenty plus brought our own. A few times we were looking around for pink ribbons to see where to continue the trail then saw one across stream in an unnoticeable place. But as long as you’re keeping an eye out for pink (and blue) ribbons, you should be okay. Quite a few stream crossings thats weren’t too bad and a few rock scrambles but overall nothing too difficult (though we hike here a lot. A few teenage girls were complaining on the path). I suggest morning. We had the falls to ourselves for 5 min then about 8 other people came and our our way back we passed groupings of 10-15 people. You’re supposed to get a permit online. Lots of people don’t but if they happen to do checks and you don’t have one then you are trespassing so I think it’s worth the $2.50 processing fee. The waterfall though was breathtaking! One of my favorites I’ve seen on the island.

Has rained for a while so it wasn’t muddy. Great easy hike with a rewarding waterfall at the end!

Great family hike today (w/ 9, 6, 4y/o)! Lots of dogs in the trail too. We did print off the $2.50 permit just to be on the safe side.... The waterfall at the finish is totally worth it and just beautiful!

Super fun and not difficult hike. A few rock scrambles here and there but nothing too hard. Plenty of ribbons on the trail so it’s not as easy to get lost anymore. Kid friendly as well

This trail is one of my favorites, easy and with shade. Beautiful bamboo forest and the waterfall amazing.

Definitely got lost multiple times. Luckily there were other hikers and a really cool foggy that new the way lol water is beautiful and little kids can do it. It’s fairly easy in my opinion just the terrain and learning the trail is a bit much

It was fun for sure. Easy to get lost though.

Great hike. Trail marked well with pinkish ribbons. Beautiful waterfall and bamboo forest.

This hike was great! got lost at first but everything eventually leads to the falls. I think the alltrails map is now correct. Updated since the older comments saying it was wrong.

Highly recommended!! It’s great for kids with a lot of energy

One of my go to spots. Love this one for my dog because it’s fully shaded, easy stream crossings (there are quite a few) and obviously a constant source of water for her to drink so I don’t have to carry anything. I think this hike is super easy. Falls flow and pool below can vary a lot. Sometimes it’s ok for swimming, sometimes it’s barely a puddle. But the falls are beautiful. Great trail, just follow the stream and you’re good. IG: @pieandthesky

Beautiful hike! Go only with big dogs because it’s rocky! My kids 4&6 loved it You stay near the stream, follow pink/red ribbons, pass 6 times the stream and it’s worth it!

It was a fun journey through the woods. The waterfall was wonderful to take pictures and have naked women posing the best.