Learn more

Kuliouou Valley Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 511 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cool trail! Shaded most of the way. Incline all the way up to the top. Last bit has steep stairs but no scrambling really and no ropes. Moderate and a great workout! Watch the signs carefully. I was trail running and took the valley trail. Then i got to the end and had to go back to the very beginning to catch the ridge trail. 2X trails in 1 day, very solid workout. Valley trail is easy and a great trail run!

Had a blast hiking with my family. Baby carried and 3 yr old hiked whole trail. We even brought the dog. Needed water for dog and should have worn bug spray. Gets a little muddy towards end of trail.

Most of the trees mentioned in previous posts have been cleared recently. Nice and easy hike.

Kuliouou Valley trail is about a 1.5 miles. Very easy hike, dog and kid friendly. The trail is easy to follow but definitely bring bug spray. If you’re a new hiker/non hiker and want to experience nature, kuliouou valley is the one for you. Once you start on the path it’ll split with clear markets, valley on the left and ridge on the right. The Vally is easy and the ridge is medium. The trail follows the valley down and there’s a sign that marks the end.

Simple nature walk! No views but a relaxing stroll through the woods. There were a handful of fallen trees on the trail but they added to the fun. May be difficult for the elderly to crawl under or over them though. The trail randomly ends with a random “Trail Ends” sign, but looks like you could go further. Limited street parking at the trail head so I had to park a few blocks away. Wear bug spray since you’re in the woods.

With 2 kids 2 and 3 year old was ok. Not super easy. A lot of bugs.

Lovely trail - no “views” but a lovely walk through the forest on a relatively flat trail. However, lots of vines/trees down over the path so be prepared to scramble and crawl at parks over trunks or little plant tunnels. Enjoyable for a short stroll.

Been a while since I did this hike, remember it being nice but not standing out too much. Brought the dog and had a good time.

I did this trail this past week and my 2 yr old walked most of the way. Good trail for dogs and kids. Lots of bugs, so bring your spray!

It was an easy trail but there were a lot of trees down over the trail. Not any good views at the end like other trails I’ve done. I plan on doing the ridge trail that goes off this one next time, I hear it’s got better views.

We only did the trail. Nothing to see that. We had done the ridge before and that was a great experience

Lotta luaʻe

This trail splits into 2 (Valley and Ridge) I’m not sure about calling the valley trail easy. It’s a short distance but I Just tried it this morning and there were a few fallen trees I had to crawl through. I was baby wearing so that was not ideal. I actually stopped about half way and tried half of the other trail. Both trails are very shaded with a few views of the valley and ocean. Lots of tree branches and rocks to climb. I’ll update my review once I complete the trail.

Easy hike, nice scenery. Perfect for people with small children or dogs who can’t make the ridge hike. We did this one before the ridge hike (by accident - went the wrong way! Haha)

Sat Jun 29 2019

This was a fun little hike. Muddy and slippery rocks and tree branches, but very manageable. Fallen trees over the trail in a few spots you had to climb over or under. A few spots you had to squat down and dunk under. A bit challenging for me as I can’t squat very low due to a knee injury, but I made it! Pretty little waterfall and moss-covered rocks, but definitely not the most beautiful of hikes. Humid even early in the morning. It was an enjoyable jaunt to get the blood flowing though and we enjoyed it. Parking is on a residential street so get there early as the street fills fast with hikers wanting to hike the ridge trail.

Sat May 04 2019

Nice and quick out and back trail but not a ton to see. The ridge trail is much more worth it but this was good if you want to get in something short.

Fri Apr 05 2019

Great hike. Pretty tough in spots amazing views though. Totally worth the sore calves I had the following day.