Kuliouou Ridge Trail

Kuliouou Ridge Trail is a 6.4 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

6.4 km
495 m

This trail that rises almost 1800 feet before peaking on the spine of the Ko`olau Ridge. It's a great hike and a tough run, for it is steep, but it is very run-able and offers a great reward in the form of spectacular views. The locals say that you're suppose to run to the top, come back down to the picnic table, and then run back to the top again.

Towards the bottom/mid section there were rocky parts. Getting closer to the top it was quite muddy in a few areas. recommendations/tips: -BRING WATER -According to my Google Fit app, it was definitely longer than 4 miles be ready. -Bring something to support your ankles(like well broken in boots). -There are steep inclines at certain points so make sure you don't mind that -Difficulty level 8/10 if you're not fit. if you're fit 6/10. -As rough as it is in some parts. I did see people bring their dogs. So it's dog friendly -Keep going when you get towards the top it's definitely worth it. -Bugs didn't bite much. -Trail is well taken care of. 10/10 would definitely hike again. -If you see the picnic tables you're halfway there

Not really an extreme hiking person but made it to the top! Definitely recommend wearing something that supports your ankles. Towards the top there is a section that is all roots with an incline. So beautiful looking out and seeing the view as you make your way to the top. After the roots section there are some steps that are little tiresome. I went after a rainy day and it was super muddy with an incline. Making it to the top and seeing that view is so amazing and worth it all!! If you are someone with bad ankles or knees I would recommend doing another trail because going back down was not the easiest with a bad knee. If you are like me and determined to accomplish this trail though, I would say to bring a pole to support yourself along with the way then.

Good hike up hill! Muddy at top! Cloudy both times I went! But stairs are great workout!

Great view, great work out.... Epic clear day

Don’t go when it’s super cloudy you won’t see a thing at the top!

It had just poured the day before, so I was worried about traction. But it was clear and sunny the next morning, and I got a 7 am start; so the conditions were great! The stairs at the top had puddles in them, but its a trail, so that's a part of the appeal. It's mostly runnable up and down, except for the aforementioned stairs. I enjoyed it a lot.

Nice view on the top, but it’s very very muddy and slippery....

Wet at the top! Try for a clear day to get an outstanding 270degree view!Stunning. Slippery and slick. You will get muddy and wet! The last part of the climb is mostly up stairs. I would not classify this a moderate trail

I would recommend starting at about 8:00am. The hike took about three and a half hours with a few water breaks and time to enjoy the view. I would say the trail is a little bit on the hard side and is especially challenging on a rainy day. Bring lots of water on hot days since the trail can get very humid. I also suggest bringing a change of clothes as the trail can be pretty muddy. The most challenging part was a steep set of stairs at the very end, but the view is worth it!

Nice trail with some decent elevation gain. Be warned though that if its rained recently you’re in for some fairly treacherous and mud slick conditions at the top. I was wearing trail running shoes and still found the mud and slippery tree roots a challenge. My wife who was wearing a pair of sneakers took a couple spills. Unfortunately it was foggy when we reached the top, but the sun broke through on our way down; views were fantastic. Would love to do this hike again in drier conditions.

Always a great hike! View makes it all worth it!

very beautiful! easy to follow trail through many different types of forest. glad for the shade after too much sun hiking previously...the stairs at top killer, but took ten at a time and made it to the top where gorgeous view and cool breeze awaited. so worth it!

Nothing too technical. Trail is well marked and cleared

Beautiful hike

recorded Kuliouou Ridge Trail

One way track to top. No views at all. Cloudy.

Very nice trail! Sadly, it was to foggy/cloudy to see anything at the top! But my wife and myself loved it. But, be warned...those stairs!

First of all the hike is 5 miles, not 4. According to my gps the elevation climb was about 1,750 ft. The hike is decently easy, but it was difficult for my mom who doesn’t have great balance. Lots of roots to climb over and up and big steps up and down on the stairs. Unfortunately it was cloudy so you couldn’t see much at the top, but it looked like it would have been amazing without clouds. Lots of variety in birds and trees, really pretty hike overall.

lots of switchbacks and mostly in the shade until the stairs. picnic area before the hard part begins. stairs were very steep over the last half mile. views at the top of diamond head, koko crater, and waimanolo. we started at 8am and had parking and time at the top by ourselves, but we passed a lot of people on our way down and parking was full down the street when we left.

Just finished this hike today. Pretty epic views. The trail was easy to distinguish. Those stairs at the end though... thought I’d never make it. Once at the top it was totally worth it. I’d wish I’d brought some snacks to enjoy at the top as you embrace the beautiful views. Take water!!!

Those stairs though

A beautiful trail with strikingly varying flora.

That was a great trail that haven’t gone for a long time. We will definitely come back again soon!

One if the BEST hikes I’ve ever done and I’ve hiked in places like Norway and Oregon. It offers stunning panoramic views of cascading emerald ridge lines and shimmering teal waters. I thought this hike would be “intense”, but there was a young couple carrying babies on their backs up this ridge! If they can do it, so can you. I would definitely repeat this hike multiple times!