Learn more

Kulana'ahane to H-3 Summit Saddle

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(99)
Honolulu Watershed Forest Reserve

Kulana'ahane to H-3 Summit Saddle is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Aiea, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,001 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking is at the Moanalua Valley Park (open from 7am - 7pm) at the end of Ala Aolani Street. Follow the Kamananui Valley Trail for approximately 2.5 miles. Turn left at the Kulana'ahane Trail Head sign and cross a stream bed. Keep going straight; if you make a right turn after crossing the stream, you will end up on the Moanalua Middle (Keana'akamano) Ridge Trail. You will make approximately 23 stream crossings. You will then come to an "End of Maintained Trail" sign. Go past the sign and make you way up the ridge to the saddle summit. As you climb will be able to see the waterfall to the right of the radar dish at the top of the Stairway to Heaven.

Really awesome conditions. Most of the streams are dry right now. Some mud on the ridge, but it was actively raining, so When you get to the end of the maintained trail, if you continue straight instead of going up the ridge, you come to the engine block from a WWII plane that crashed there. Crampons are a MUST for this hike. We clocked it at about 11 miles round trip, in about 7 hours. You really can’t beat the view. Toats worth it.

Really great trail. The first 2 1/2 miles are very easy. Once the trail splits and heads towards the H3 overlook it becomes overgrown, but the trail is well marked with pink and orange marking tape. Highly recommend gloves for final slope up to overview.

What a hike! Nearly 11 miles to the summit and back down! Was a long flat mostly covered trail but fun! Honestly not much of an incline until the last 3/4 mile.... then it’s a bit sketchier. Was raining and super muddy when we did it, but manageable if you take your time. Great view at the top and as you start the last incline! Beautiful waterfall too! And literally were the only ones on the top! Breath taking! A bit tricky going down as it was slick, but we managed with dirty bums! Lots of brush down, ducking, climbing over, tons of stream crossings, honestly probably like 20 lol but is actually a good trail for trail running even without doing the whole thing or the first few miles would be fine for even young children bc it’s flat with no cliffs

Was not too crowded when we went; had a nice little picnic at the top with an amazing view of Windward side. The trail is very manageable for the most part - the only tough part is the last bit that inclines very rapidly and steeply to get to the summit that overlooks the H-3 and you can see the Radar Tower from Haiku Stairs (make sure you bring crampons and gloves; we would have definitely turned back if we didn't have these.) Bring water and food!

Did this trail by mistake while initially trying to go to Haiku stairs. First few miles after the end of the Moanalua Valley Trail Split weren't too challenging, mostly just ducking under low hanging branches and climbing over some small boulders. Once we got the the end of the "maintained trail" things changed real fast, real quick. About 1-2 miles after, we lost the trail markers; they appeared to just suddenly end after a crashed plane propellor appeared near the (dried up) waterfall. Perhaps some better studying of the map would have been fruitful. Overall, walked about 6 miles total before doubling back. We went out on a really dry day and all the streams were dry. It wasn't too bad except for the last scramble up the steep incline. Would like to come back some day!

We did this trail by mistake, but we really enjoyed it. Initially, we wanted to go to the Haiku stairs but se missed the path and ended up doing this one. The view Is great, the trail is amazing, just a bit hard to follow. The beginning Is the same but there's a point where you can go to Triple ridge or Haiku stairs, just be careful. Just don't leave your car in the parking Lot, we got a $30 ticket.

Quick 6 mile trail run. I will always come back here. Beautiful scenery, very well taken care of trail.

Got lost down a hunting trail so didn't finish. The trail is very easy to lose sometimes. will try again soon.

good trail.. it's "closed" but you can still get through. several people on the trail

I’ve walked the first portion of this trail with my young children many times. Today I wanted to push farther. Most of the trail follows a dirt road and is easy to walk, with the exception of a few extremely muddy patches. Immediately after the trail forks (~2 mi.), the climb became steep, muddy, and slippery. I stopped at a beautiful perch with views of the whole valley, before starting to record the path and make my way home. All told, I spent about 2 1/2 hrs. on the trail. Traffic really picked up (large groups) around 9am.

Very nice trail, but hard to follow once you get towards the end. Once you get to the sign that announces the end of the improved trail, stay to the left. If you get to large rocks leading the waterfall, turn back and try to get back on trail (all trail app is pretty accurate). The last part of the scramble was pretty sketch going down by myself, but it wasnt too bad. I would consider this hike difficult / hard, as this was more physically exhausting and daunting (at the end) than others I have done that are rated as hard.

Overall peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable hike. Muddy in many areas but streams abound as well so prepare to get your feet wet!! My map was saying I was off course when I started to hit some narrow and moderately challenging paths so I turned back and went on the trail with ribbons but only made it 5.5 miles in coz duty calls so not sure if I was on the right trail. Intend to complete this hike one day soon! Recommend hiking boots and maybe a walking stick which is abundant! Love it!

So much fun! We kept going to the ridge over H3. Definitely worth it!

wind, rain causing very slippery mud and being solo pushed me back about 3.5 miles in. don't turn right until after crossing water where the trail splits. the base map for all trails is off but the recordings seem to be a bit too after you pass the split. cost me about an hour and some bamboo slaps and scrapes. I imagine the view is unreal as it was increasingly improving throughout the walk in.