Koko Crater Trail

Koko Crater Trail is a 2.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 302 m Route Type: Out & Back

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

Can get ridiculously difficult if you're not mentally prepared for the uneven steps and steep incline. Don't be afraid to take a breath along the way! Although the view itself at the top is incredible breathtaking.

Amazing trail great workout. I do however want to tell everyone bring lots of water and wear good shoes. Go early in the morning because it gets so hot and any shade goes away completely.

Wow....what an awesome experience. I’ve been wanting to do this hike for a while and finally got enough courage to do so. It’s actually NOT AS bad as I imagined as long as you paced yourself. I hiked it with one of my best friend and we decided to do 50 steps and rest :). My counting must be off cuz by the time we counted to 400, I saw a little mark on the rail stated 500!! The last 10-15% of the trail was so steep. With backpack on my back I had to lean forward and climbed up the trail using my 2 hands. Once you arrived on top, it was like you were in different world. Amazing view with self satisfaction. Quite scary on the way down though. Glad we started at 5 am and on weekday as the weather was pleasant and not too crowded.

Go early as it gets crowded and hot later in the day.

OMG wow !! Beautiful hike! I suggest you do it at sunset, I attach a photo it was SUBLIME! Hike moderate seen the mounted but it's good! It took us 40min to get to the top and 30 min down! :) Good Hike !!!

Unique and tough AF, loved everything about it. Feared for my life coming down, the space between each step can seem so large.

Great workout. Just over 1,000 steps to get to the top and then same to get back down. Pretty steep climb. We did it in the middle of the day which I do not recommend as there is little to no shade. Views are amazing! Take water and wear good shoes. I would not take small children on this hike. Took us about an hour and a half.

It is definitely a workout to do this trail! Although challenging, an average person with no health problem can do it if you pace yourself. Come prepare with good shoes, water (at least a liter because you will sweat sweat sweat), and go early to avoid the heat. I went at 6:30AM and it was perfect! The later in the day you go, the hotter it is and that will make this trail even harder to climb. It took me about 40 mins to go up and then 25 mins or so to go down. You do feel quite accomplished and so worth doing at least once! This is a popular trail so there will be some crowd. I saw a couple of kids on the trail but I would not bring kids here.

Ir was amazing, I’m new to hiking which made it extra difficult but completely doable!

It’s only hard because the steps were falling apart. Also, the full sun, no shade made it difficult. The view up top was spectacular and I would do this hike again but maybe go even further and hike the ridge.

Fantastic work out in the heat. Bring water. slower going down then up with the crowd.

The views are amazing up top, albeit there are a lot better views elsewhere. It can be heavily trafficked at times. I did Koko Head probably 10 times in the 3.5 years I lived on Oahu. I loved it, mainly because it is a killer cardio and leg work out. Those 1,000+ steps will get you!

This hike is a work out, but worth it to see the sunrise. We got to the trailhead at 5:00 am which gave us plenty of time to each the top before sunrise. Take water and get your zen on watching the glory of the sun rising from the sea.

I love this trail! It is all up hill but the view from the top is amazing and the sense of accomplishment is worth it. Sun block at the car and just take the essentials, for me that’s my camel pak (stay hydrated) and what ever can fit in it.

It's a real achievement and the reward at the top is the awesome sightlines and cooling breeze.

Honestly I hate stairs so much and the top is overgrown which sort of ruins the view so this hike was not worth it for me. I also did it when it was too late in the day and in sandals so it’s partly my fault. Diamond head gets you just as good of a view and won’t make you hate your life quite as much.

What a hike! Beautiful view

Short but very challenging hike. More a 'workout of the day' than a trail. But fun to do. And you get a really nice view as reward. Not your typical trail, but 4 stars for the combination of the challenge and the view.

I started this trail at 8:30 in the morning and was suprised by the amount of people already there. It's heavily trafficked, challenging on the way up, but easy on the way down. The way up took me about 30 min including breaks, and was very exhausting. The way down on the other hand, was very easy and took me less than 10 minutes. The views at the top are great, but challenging yourself to walk 1,048 steps up and 1,048 steps down is even more satisfactory.

Easy trail

What a thing to accomplish. Wow! Really amazing and fun.

Wonderful view!

Amazing sunrise views. It’s a tough hike, bring water.

great workout and awesome view at the top

Prepare to be exhausted. Take as many breaks as you can

crowded but worth doing.

3 stars for the relatively plain hike, but 5+ stars for the view! Definitely go early to avoid the heat. We hit it at 8:45 on a Sat and the sun was still at an angle to allow for shade on both our ascent and descent. It was fairly crowded. The portion that acts as a bridge is not anything to worry about. The railroad ties are closer together and it's only 100 ft or so long. Plus there's a way around (we didn't check it out). We made it up pretty quickly (25 min) but I would expect most peiple took just short of an hour. On top you have several structures you can climb atop to get a better view. The 2nd and 3rd provide the best views (just short of 360). We could barely make out Moloka'i, but on a super clear day you could probably see Maui too. You can venture out along the ridgeline as far as you like, but do so at your own risk (narrow footing and a steep drop on both sides; we didn't go because it was really windy). The journey down took 20 min for us (again we were some of the faster folks). We'll probably try the ridge trail next time for a bit longer and more challenging hike.