Koko Crater Trail

Koko Crater Trail is a 2.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

2.9 km
302 m

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

22 minutes ago

great workout and awesome view at the top

awsome!very challenging for first timers but worth the climp

super steep and a lot of traffic, but worth the view!

Very challenging but so worth it! Wear good shoes and bring lots of water, sunscreen, and bug spray!

Highly recommended.The view at the top is bad a$$

Amazing views at the top!!! Make sure you take lots of water, sunscreen and good shoes with traction!! One step at a time and don’t forget to look up. Slow and steady because it’s easy to over exert yourself. Recommend doing it first thing in the morning and not in the middle of the day when the sun is beating hot! Aloha and enjoy

Amazing hiking! I saw a women with a young child on her back do it, very inspiring! Take your time to do it don’t rush things. The stairs can get very steep at times. Hard but the view from the top is amazing!

Beautiful views like most places in Hawaii. Some parts of the trails/track made me nervous, but doable for the most part.

Outstanding hike with a lot of fellowship. Everyone was very encouraging going up and coming down. It was very slippery since there was a bit of rain this morning. I was wearing LaSportiva GTX’s which had incredible grip but I did see Hikers wearing running shoes which did not bode well on the wet railroad ties. The views were well worth the walk up! Thanks for reading and I’ll see you on the trails!

Not for the faint of heart! We lucked out and had an overcast morning which helped a ton. It started raining on the descent making for slippery footing. Would I do it again? Heck ya! The views are amazing and the fellow trail blazers encouraging!

Koko-insane! This is a stair master, not a trail. Too many people and too dangerous. If you think ascending is hard, wait for the descent!

This is not a hiking trail but rather a hazardous unmaintained decrepit old railroad track that goes straight up Koko Crater. Multiple hazards await you.

Awesome workout with a nice view.

Kokonut challenge

My third time up and we were blessed with a cloudy hike on the ascent. Amazing views at the top, be sure to explore a little to see the south and east

Great workout and view from the top with a nice breeze. Be careful on the steps at they are uneven and washed out.

Wonderful hike, and excellent workout, great views from the top

You should have reasonable conditions on the ascent. Great view on the crater. At peak times a lot of people. Generally highly recommended but definitely with hiking good sneakers and water to take.

1000 tracks was tough but we did and had a great time, view was amazing

Wow!!! This trail definitely makes you work for the view. It is a lot of long and high steps, a lot of uneven ground and it gets crowded. Make sure to wear sunblock and maybe even a hat as there is no shade. It took me about 38 minutes to get to the top from the parking lot. Take water, in a backpack will be better as you will use both hand at times. The view is incredible and with a lot of different points for good pictures. Your Instagram will blow up.

holy freakin difficult! granted... I'm out of shape as it is, but this hike PROVED it! glad I made it to the top though. beautiful 360 view! I recommend hiking boots. my tennis shoes offered no grip on the heavily slippery gravel. the incline is INTENSE! while I was doing the hike... I told myself I wouldnt do it again even if someone paid me. but now that I've done it, and the soreness in my legs and back had worn off... I would do it again! but maybe take a picnic up with me and relax before going back down.

This hike was amazing!!! Loved that it was very hard but you can get to the top quickly if you are relatively fit. I did it in about 23 min, not sure about the way down but I would say in even less time. I would highly recommend.

Loved this trail. Wife did it with a broken foot.

Great hike! Well worth the view. Stair master on steroids. Walking up is a cardio challenge. Walking down is tough on the knees. Absolutely will do it again!

This hike make you work for view at the top! I actually thought coming down was more painful than going up because it’s pretty slippery! I’m hoping to do this one at least once more!!!

So worth it for the view

Amazing view Worth it