Koko Crater Trail

Koko Crater Trail is a 2.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 302 m Route Type: Out & Back

This is a steep climb to the top of Koko Head Crater with spectacular panoramic views of the east Honolulu shoreline. The 1000 plus step-like walking track consists of abandoned railroad ties that run along the crater's west side to the top of Koko Crater. The military used them previously during World War II as part of an incline tram to transport supplies to a lookout post at the summit. A short drive from Diamond Head and Waikiki, this popular hiking trail can be accessed at Koko Head Park in Hawaii Kai. This is a great workout with a beautiful view at the summit - don't forget to bring water! Visitors might also be interested in the Koko Crater Botanical Garden at the top of the crater.

Super steep stair climber all the way up, but when you power through, the 360 degree views will be awesome!

Not for the faint of heart - if you’re not an avid hiker or in the greatest shape, this will kick your ass. Essentially this “hike” is just stairs made of an old railway. Some places are really uneven so you should be careful if you’re not super steady or confident on your feet. The views are definitely worth it & it was a nice spot to relax — but you have to work really hard for it.

Il ne s'agit pas d'une randonnée pédestre mais plutôt un entraînement avec une longue escaliers (chemin de fer) qui est dangereux par endroit. Nous avons vu quelqu'un tomber et déboulé plusieurs mètres lors de la descente... Soyez averti qu'il ne s'agit pas d'un hike en nature mais juste une montée en ligne droite avec une vue superbe une fois en haut.

Such a great “hike” more like super stair master! My husband and I made it to the top in 32min... it would have been better if I had shoes that had a little more traction the steps were a little slippery saw a guy doing it in Sandals and one with no shoes total savages! The view at the top is unreal and so amazing!

This was a challenge going up as I’m not great with heights but the view was so worth it. I had good hiking shoes and water/Gatorade with me so I felt good about that. Going up was much harder than coming down. Some people just fly up and down but I went at my pace for me. I don’t see how some wore flip flops and sandals but to each their own. Challenging but so rewarding at the top with amazing views!

I did this a couple days ago, it was veryyyy muddy which made it unnerving coming down. Treck carefully! Very rewarding being done though :)

Great workout but not much of a wilderness hike. Slippery on the way down. Shooting range right next to trail is very noisy.

Very slippery

love this hike so much. I have a adventure Photography comapany where I give guided hikes and take porfessinal grade photos. if any of yall are interested come check me out at @hike.oahu on Instagram :)

Challenging trail with great views at the top. A little bit crowded and washed out in areas, but worth the trek.

The view was great and really captivating however it’s not the most peaceful as right next there is a shooting range and you’ll most likely hear gunshots during the day however it’s not that distracting as the view on top is what makes it worth. It’s rated hard for a reason and it’s not for the faint of heart.

Must bring your hiking shoes and a backpack to hold your things including water! It’s a difficult hike because it is a steep incline up this mountain walking on old railroad tracks. Beautiful views at the very top. Totally worth it!

I loved the challenge of this hike! I definitely underestimated the difficulty of this hike and I hike a lot. Just the steepness and constant uphill steps is what tired me out. Nonetheless the views were worth it. Hiking shoes are a must.

will be doing a hike this weekend, let me know if you are interested in coming! my Instagram is @vasqu067

One of the most fun and challenging hikes by far as a first time in Oahu and definitely leg demanding. Did Diamond head hike but this made the first hike a warm up! At the end a beautiful scenery of the island and ocean a must to go do.

Can’t hike, bing lots of water

I’ve done this hike twice and I love it but let me tell you it kicks my butt haha and I’m in decent shape don’t rush ur self on it u will get tired I would not bring a dog and there is a point when ur almost of the rail road that’s like almost Straight up and it’s like climbing a ladder but the views are so cool one of my favorites I’ve done so far I heard it’s an illegal hike but I’ve never seen cops there and there’s like 50 people on it both times so I would not worry at all