Kealia Trail is a 12.2 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Waialua, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.2 km Elevation Gain: 767 m Route Type: Out & Back

Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well. The trail head is across from the parking lot and proceeds inland on a wide paved road. Go around the chain and go left at the fork (keep concrete hanger on your right). At the base of the ridge follow the trail as it switchbacks up the face. At the top there is a covered picnic bench. Continue inland and ascend fire road. When you reach a junction near an old fence line go right. You will pass a rusted water tank on the right. Enter the Kuaokala public hunting area. At the next junction turn left. Turn left when you reach the T junction. Pass a small water catchment and tank on the right. At the junction with the Kuaokala Trail bear right and slightly up to ridge rim. You will be overlooking the Makua Valley Military Training Area.

Don’t go to the end... it’s not worth anything at all. All that work for nothing

If you complete the entire hike, it’s definitely on the hard side. The 1st 1.5 miles is straight up incline on switchbacks with hardly any shade and just the hot sun. A lot of people turn around once they hit the picnic bench at the end of the switchbacks but to complete this trail, you have to go on a dirt road. This is a slow incline of the rest the mountain. It’s actually much easier than the switchbacks. The views are stunning and at the end you can see the other side of the island and valleys. It’s more shaded on the rest of the trail. We clocked 8.4 and 8.9 miles on this app and another taking about 4.25 hours to complete.

The trail is straight forward and does not require any technical climbing, one can go as fast or leisurely as they want. It can be done in 3 hours round trip

I did this one in April of last year and wanted to add my two cents! I really want to caution people that it is a more difficult trail than advertised, in my opinion. I’m short and not in shape, though I can hold my own most of the time, but this one was difficult for me. I was carrying my 10 month old on my back and my friend was doing the same. My 60 year old mom joined us and it took us FOREVER to reach even the area with the picnic table. There are some points which were slippery and I had to climb over rocks (I’m 5’1). Bring adequate water and snacks because you will be thirsty and there’s not much that’s close to the trailhead! I’m not sure if it was just my friend and my mom and I, but we agreed that this one was for some reason nearly as difficult as Koko Head. Dampening our enthusiasm even more, a group of soldiers RAN up passed us as we were coming down, then ran back down and beat us to the bottom. So maybe it was just us lol. The views are incredible! Just please be cautious and fully research trails before going on them.

Switchbacks and some steep incline but overall an easy hike. It'll be a challenge if you're hiking it after a rainfall due to the inclines...if you keep on going to Kuaokala trail, you'll end up to a ridge overlooking the ocean and the Makua Valley. Stunning views!

Rocky switchbacks, mostly unshaded, for 1.5 miles up to the picnic table. Go early as it’s hot and not breezy. Gorgeous views make it worth it though.

Just beautiful, but super long and not recommended to go up for mountain biking. Had to carry our bikes mostly for the first hour of switchbacks (not really rideable going down), and then when you head into the straight path it’s super long of just incline up and down. Had to push our bikes for most of this. 7.6 miles and it’s super long. When we got to the end we headed down the other side which still had ups and downs for awhile until we got to peacock campground.

Freaking awesome. We tested our limits. Park in the Unicom parking lot, there are clean bathrooms there. Hit the trail start indicators, Go up the switch backs, once you get to the shack at the top which is what people consider the "summit", you'll notice the off road trails which is where the hike continues. Just keep staying to the right at every fork. This part of the trail has some long steady uphill stretches. Eventually it ends at this cross road that has signs pointing to other trails like Kuaokala trail. You're technically done, however we decided to push ourselves and jumped on the Kuaokala trail. Follow the signs, Enter the gate, stay right and close to the fence the whole way. Awesome views of the valley and west side near Makua - it was freaking epic. Total trip was 10miles round-trip. Bring plenty of water, recommend a hat, hydrate the night before, bring some bars to be safe. Cheers

I loved this trail. Tons of switchbacks but if you take your time they aren’t as bad. Love that the agriculture changes, first you walk through forest with lots of big rocks to sit on and take breaks if needed. Then you come to more rocky terrain, similar to puu o Hulu. You’re soon greeted with beautiful ocean views. Went up to the bench, the views were actually better before reaching the bench. Tried to reach the summit today but didn’t make it. After the bench is nothing but steep hills and they are a booty burner! Came across mongoose and peacocks. Lots of pine needle trees and fallen branches past the bench. Did this hike alone and felt very safe as the trail is easy to follow and plenty of spots to move over if you’re trying to social distance.

Great work out, plenty of shade, rocky, last mile or so slippery. Nice views first third of a trail, overgrown in the end.

7 mile round trip up to summit and back down so beautiful!!!

Such a beautiful hike! Great breeze, some reAlly wonderful pine trees and great views on the ocean.

Good moderate physical effort hike with incredible views. Extensive use of switch backs which is a good thing. Some blow down and overgrown areas but still relatively easy to get around/thru. All in all an enjoyable hike.

Great work out! Once you have a view of the west side (just beyond the gate) no need to go further, view doesn’t get much better than that IMO.