Photos of Kalauao Falls Loop Trail

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,361 feet Route Type: Loop

Five stars! 4 for being an ass-kicker, and 1 because my friend Caleb got stung by a bee - and I didn't :) This is a tough trail that starts out easy (regardless if you go CW or CCW), but then gets much more challenging. We went CCW. I could see pros/cons to each direction. Budget yourself at least 5 hours so you can do it safely and enjoy the time in nature. Tips: 1) LIGHTWEIGHT LONG PANTS. Seriously. So glad I wore them (5.11 tacticals with cargo pockets). Maybe wear shorts under pants but please have the pants. If I go again am going to bring a long-sleeved shirt too. You want zippered or Velcro pockets to keep stuff from falling out. 2) Water and food. Slowly keep hydrated an munch on those snacks. I didn't, and I think that is what led to me getting really exhausted on the final climb out. 3) If it hasn't rained much, then the falls and the streambed are going to be dry and less interesting. Some of the paths were so dry that sliding was a problem. 4) Unless you are in good shape, don't go. If going up 10 flights of steps is a problem, then this hike is not for you. 5) The terrain has good risk for twisting an ankle. Walking across slippery rocks takes more effort and energy. Lots of places where the overgrowth is covering up tripping hazards. I would not go alone. You won't run into other people like on the Aiea Loop trail. Maybe bring an extra ACE bandage. You never know..... 6) Bring an extra battery pack. I had 40% left at end, but Caleb's iPhone was dead. Check your map often. I sometimes had low GPS, but never totally lost signal (Sprint) 7) If you bring too much water, you will regret humping it around.