Kaiwa Ridge (Lanikai Pillbox) Trail

Kaiwa Ridge (Lanikai Pillbox) Trail is a 2.9 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 km Elevation Gain: 198 m Route Type: Out & Back

Great short rocky steep hike along the Ka'iwa Ridge offers great views of Lanikai and Kailua. Near Waimanalo Beach - wonderful white sand and calm water, Lanikai and Kailua Beaches The Kaiwa Ridge Hike is great to go either sunrise or late afternoon short 0.6 mile each way but gains 500 ft so is steep in places with great views along the way - It takes about 30 minutes or less to hike from the trailhead to the top (second) pillbox (elev. 565-ft). Its another 10 minutes to reach the ridge's highest point (elev. 603-ft) marked by a geodetic marker (the small concrete platform with broken surveyor's pole). The "official" trailhead, unmarked, is about 40 feet uphill on a paved, private driveway along Kaelepulu Drive. The driveway is opposite of the Mid Pacific Country Club & Golf Course just before you reach an exclusive, gated community. The first part of the trail is very steep, slippery, and can be confusing. This trail is undeveloped. The trail is rocky, windy and rewards you with a great view on top of the pillboxes. No guardrails so can be dangerous for young children. Also the trail is very poplular and can be crowded.

1 minute ago

Great hike with beautiful views of mountains and ocean! Not to hard, just the right morning workout. Lots of kids and dogs doing the hike, but it dose get slippery especially on the way down so keep that in mind. Parking can be a bit hard since it’s all street parking, try and get there early.

awesome sunrise

Great hike up,but tricky at points. Sunny,hat and sunscreen a must.

This hike is under rated. A great challenge at the start. Continues to look very steep but it’s pretty easy after the first part part (don’t be daunted). Views are incredible.

Easy trail with awesome views ! Easier with shoes with some traction.

awesome view

Really beautiful. We had an incredibly hard time getting up there with our baby and 1 yr old attached to us.

I wouldn’t say that this trail is hard. I hiked this trail to the 2nd Box with my 2 non-hiker friends and we all agreed that It’s a moderate-easy trail. Beautiful views of Kailua and Lanikai!

beautiful view!! Very slippery when the trail is dry. Also well feasible with fear of heights. (Run to the second box and back again.)

Amazing hike with spectacular views!! This had some of the most breathtaking views I saw while on my week long trip to Hawaii. I wouldn't consider this a very difficult trail but some of the others I was with would disagree. You are definitely climbing up and it can get a bit slippery on the rocks on the way down. One girl I was with had on horrible sneakers she slipped so many times and finally gave up on certain areas and slid down on her butt. I had on hiking boots and had no problems. Its mostly a dirt trail but there are a few times you'll have to scramble over rocks. I didn't realize that you can keep going into another trail when your at the top (think this is called extended pill box trail) I would have loved to continue but we turned around due to the one girl constantly slipping. It was pretty hot when we went which was later in the afternoon. It was also very crowded. We parked a few streets over but it did take us about 20 minutes to find a spot as this is a beach area and it was crazy crowded. I would definitely recommend doing this hike much earlier. I gave it 4 stars only because of the crowds and hard parking but well worth it!

Only made it to the second pill box then turned around. Need to bring more water next time!! Coming back for more next time!

Fun trail, no difficult. Rocky in parts and inexpensive hikers may need to use hands and slide down. Great views!

Husband and I loved this hike at sunrise!

was good fun,...not hard at all. awsome view!!!

Gorgeous views, lots of trekking uphill, jagged rocky areas. Great view of Bellows!

Love this hike for sunrise! It’s steep and you need a headlamp if going at sunrise because it’s dark! And you need both hands to get you up and over the inclines. Heading down isn’t too bad but it can get slippery if wet or dry!

Went up with the entire family yesterday and it was a beautiful hike. The beginning is a little steep and slippery for the kiddos but who cares, they love to get muddy! Get up early, do the hike, come back down and go to the beach...great day!

Beautiful views at the top! No shade and not much of a breeze until you’re almost at the top. Go early morning and you’ll be fine. Took my two young kids and they fared fine.