Hauula Loop Trail

Hauula Loop Trail is a 4.0 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hauula, Oahu, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.0 km Elevation Gain: 249 m Route Type: Loop

beach

Hau`ula Loop Trail is located near Hau'ula, Hawaii. The trail is great for hiking or trail running and normally takes around an hour. This trail is probably the lesser used Na Ala Hele trails, and with lots of shade, it's a good one to do any time, any season.

6/23/2019-Got a later start at 0800 after parking at Hauula Beach Park (most of the street parking available along the road to the trail head is either blocked off illegally with cones or has a sign that says not to park there so no point in looking unless you’ve got a friend so you can park in front of their house). The walk from Hauula Beach Park to the trail head is only about 0.2 miles anyway so not a big deal. The trail initially started off pretty humid with very little to no wind if you take the left fork and there’s only one large clearing where you can see up and down the valley but otherwise it’s just a nice, green trek in the forest. Seems like there are a few stream crossings with enough rain but that wasn’t the case today. Trail seems to be not as popular as of yet because we only came across 9 people (1 soloist, 2 groups of 4) but it’s nice getting a trail to yourself.

I prefer Aiea Loop over this trail. Shady & short. Not too scenic.

Hike is shaded and lightly trafficked. There are slight inclines but nothing too steep on the switchbacks. Nice views of the valley at the top of the loop.

I love this trail. We have gone twice now and never saw any other hikers. It’s the perfect length, not too difficult, but still a great workout for an hour or 2. It looks like a lot of the east side hikes are pretty difficult, so it’s nice that this one is here! Awesome for families, dogs, or a group. More mud after a lot of rain, but you get to see more water in the little stream that you cross about 3 times. Easy to cross either way, though. It was pretty dry the second time we went so it was easy to fly through. A few loose, dry leaves but I never slipped. Some nice mountain, valley, ocean and coastline views while you go. Lots of switchbacks and slight inclines and declines throughout. Like a fun rollercoaster. :) Probably great for trail runners. I recommend parking at the beach across the street. You can try in the neighborhood, but it’s hard to find a good spot. There is a 7-Eleven at the main road, which is awesome for water and snacks.

Nice hike, couple small muddy spots, 2 good clearings on the back half of the trail (if you start off to the left after reaching the loop). Parked down at the beach as others had mentioned, no problems. Yeah, this trail is pretty straight forward, we liked it. Get away from the busy hikes on the east side (especially on the weekends) and enjoy your quiet time. We saw 1 group of 3 during the hike. Really nice for a Sat. afternoon.

Hiked this trail last week. Perfect quick, Hawaii hike. Parked at the beach and had no issues. 1.5-2 hours overall with great variety of jungle environments. Make sure to check out the secondary trails at the top for the best views. A little muddy in one spot but not bad.

I picked this trail today because it looked pretty safe to do alone, and it was. This trail would be great for families as well as dogs. I parked at the beach as recommended, and agree that it was the best decision. You get to get out in nature, and get the blood pumping, but I never felt that it was intense. The trail was clearly marked as well. No chance of getting lost or turned around. A little muddy, but most trails here are. Don’t expect a waterfall. There are a couple of small creek areas, but the trees and foliage are the stars of this trail. I only saw one other small group too, so pretty peaceful. Very nice trail.

awesome trail

A pleasant hike, a bit of mud in a couple of places, no waterfall but we did see where the waterfall would be in the right conditions. Definitely park at the beach, it took us (with 3 fit, active teenagers) approximately 1.5 hours from the beach car park including a couple of stops. Didn’t see anyone else on the track, would recommend going early in the day.

I actually did this trail twice while staying down the street for holiday. I initially hiked it with the family to include two toddlers, two tweens and carrying out infant. Just thought this would be a simple little walk, but as soon as we got on the trail I knew this would make a great run. So the next morning that’s exactly what I did! What a joy! The rocks are pretty slick so be careful on them. The trails was only muddy in one section between the two “ridges”. At least when it hasn’t rained in the last day or so. The waterfall was basically all dried up and only a trickle. It’s almost completely shaded throughout the entire thing but there are spots where the sun pokes through. I never seem to have issues with mosquitoes so that was fine for me, but the family got eaten pretty good. All in all a fantastic spot and a great surprise of a trail.

Really fun easy trail

Nice trail showcasing many different species of flora at varying altitudes. Beautiful views at the top of mountain valleys and the beach. Waterfall was a muddy pool today, but I can imagine it being gorgeous after a good rain. Took my 10 year old kids and it was the perfect length and incline to keep their attention and whining at bay.

Beautiful, shady trail with a great view at the top.

Beautiful trail, well cared for. Probably pretty muddy when rain season is here, but today it was perfect.

Great trail with wonderful greenery and great views from small ridge line sections. It does include some low hanging growth to pass under and a few areas requiring careful stepping but overall very easy hike.

This is in the same area as the Maakua Ridge Trail. We did this one. Don’t know if we did the ridge but we did a loop. It was fun. My 4 year old grandson did great. It rained when we got to the top but the trail is pretty gradual so going down was not bad.

Loved this quick little shaded trail! Perfect for the dogs, just a little bit of mud. Really make sure you go clockwise to get the best view. Took us about 2 hours to complete. I'd also park at the beach and walk up. The parking isn't designated and you don't want to park in someone's yard or something on accident.

A nice, easy trail. I recommend bug spray.

Great hike! A little muddy in certain spots but good steady incline and loop.

We went on a Tuesday morning in December and only encountered two other groups right at the end of the hike. It has been pretty dry for the past week so there wasn’t really a waterfall but the nice part of that was that there were only a few muddy spots. The reason to go clockwise is that the best views will be in front of you.

A little muddy, but ok. Beautiful foliage and loved that we did not see another person the entire hike.

Humid and muddy, excellent views , we did see a waterfall. Took us approximately. 2 hours. I am currently out of shape and would rate it challenging for me. The experienced hiker of the group rates it as moderate due to the slippery mud factor after the recent rains. Very lightly trafficked. We went on a Sunday and saw only 2 other hikers. I agree with other posters, park at the beach down the street.

Overall a great trail. Two of us and our two dogs completed it. A couple of updates from some of the other comments. Definitely park at the beach park. No real room to park at the entrance without trashing someone’s lawn. Plus it gives you a place to rinse off afterwards. Definitely bring bug spray Definitely hike the loop in a clockwise manner There were no trees blocking the trail. It was muddy but we just had some pretty big rain storms the past week. Wear shoes with a good grip and you don’t mind getting dirty The “water fall” is only about 6-8 feet tall and you are actually higher than it as you walk by.

worth it

I did this with my husband and three year old. My son loved exploring the forest with all of the beautiful plants and animals. Being so young, he did get carried by the end of the hike, but before he ran out of steam, he was easily able to make the hike. It was difficult to find parking that did not impede on private property, but once we got on the trail it was worth the effort.