Hanauma Bay Ridge Trail

Hanauma Bay Ridge Trail is a 6.8 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.8 km Elevation Gain: 468 m Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

This site is open to the public although it is on privately owned land, therefore, please stay on the trail. This trail is also called the Hanauma Bay Rim Trail. This trail is located to the west of Hanauma Bay. Koko Head is often mistaken for Koko Crater. This one is on the makai (ocean) side of the state and national parks and is not the tuff cone with the railway line. This lesser known trail starts at the Hanauma Bay bus stop with a road that leads up the hill towards the ocean. Note that this is not a public area, so visit at your own risk. This trail has no cover so bring lots of sun screen. It is also normally very windy. The main attractions are the four leaf clover bloom in the spring and a sea cliff rock bridge that is located just past Pai'olu'olu Point.

35 minutes ago

I had an amazing time on this trail. I consider it to be easy overall. It's pretty much paved all the way so take your time and enjoy the views as you go. Also because it's paved you really won't have to fear getting your shoes muddy and stuff like that. I would suggest as others have, hike early and enjoy a bay swim after.

Definitely go in the morning and then cool off with some snorkelling in the bay. Bring lots of water and a camera. Absolutely amazing views of the bay, the ocean and the koko head crater mountain. The lava rock at the end is unreal

Best done in morning or evening to avoid the heat. Paved road isn't bad except for the inclines, but I'd recommend good shoes with traction if you go off the road. It can have loose gravel and steeper paths. Love this hike though and great views!

Moderately difficult trail. Would recommend to just about any hiker that isn’t afraid of a moderate incline.

Beautiful view...very Hot... slippery dirt if you don’t stay on solid rock took our kids ages 2,4,6,9 was a little difficult but they managed. Would definitely do it again!

Short and breezy hike with a great view of the heart in the Hanauma Bay water.

Beautiful views. HEAVILY trafficked. Steep inclines.

Amazing view Dog friendly I will not bring little kids No shade

private property

Much more challenging than I ever thought reading the description and reviews. Be careful in the rocky part. It’s challenging to find your way through and traverse.

Word to the wise, the name of this trail is not correct. It doesn't match with the actual loop that it follows. You may end up wanting to record the Koko (Head) Crater Ridge/Rim trail and then get this instead. Oops, lol. Hanauma Bay Ridge trail loop is a good hike. Deep inclines in areas, but there's also a concrete path too. People mountain bike and I've seen people bring their dogs too.

Spectacular walk above and around Hanauma Bay (talking about the Hanauma Bay Ridge Hike). It's totally paved along the ridge but if you want to take a detour off of the path and down to the cliffside, it can get interesting. For me it was like a walk in the park as I'm a fairly avid hiker. But brought my girlfriend and her 5 year old and certainly made it quite the experience. A good one but very strenuous as the little guy went on his first adventurous hike :) Bring plenty of snacks and water.

Great Hike! I went off trail a couple of times because it’s a little overgrown. But it was awesome!

private property

I started my walk at 730 am from Portlock Road up hill to the shortcut through a path that leads me to the paved road to cell towers. Youust find the entrance to get out to the top of Koko Head , you can see a path in the far. I was prepared , take my water, Apple, egg, crackers since I knew I would be out 4 hours. The actual hike is only 4.25 but I made my day into a 7.95 mile hiking every nook I could find. Sunshine and heat can tire you out so bring your hat and water and snacks. Descending downward to the edge of cliffs are somewhat challenging with the loose lava sand rocks and pebbles, so paying attention is a must if one doesn’t want to slide downhill fast! The views magnificent , the wild flowers amazing, no bugs to worry about, perhaps centipedes or scorpions , but none in my sight as I wandered everywhere. Climbing uphill in hot sun was the icing on the cake and making it back home with relief and mission accomplished. I recommend this to anyone in a group or just for a peaceful solitude. Go early to enjoy the serenity of this beautiful island.

Overall great hike and breathtaking views

Very nice hike relatively easy and not very crowded. Great views of Hanauma Bay and the coast. Pretty hot and arid ... do not forget to bring water!

super steep. gorgeous views. a lot of it is paved it seems. i went from 4p to 530pm and that was a good time, although still sunny and hot.