Ehukai Pillboxes is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 698 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Very family oriented, wide, easy, well graded trail. Only thing to watch out for are the junctions to the pillboxes and when it's raining, it can get slippery. Some rope sections which could come handy when muddy and slippery.

4 minutes ago

Fun hike for a family! We take my 4 year old and 9 year old and they are able to go up easily. I’m usually the one in back trying to catch my breath. Good beginning hike if you’re not in shape LOL. There is an incline but it’s pretty moderate. Nice view at the top but not as exciting compared to those hikes with waterfalls.

Great trail our 5 kids really enjoyed it ages 6m-10. kid friendly trail was dried up not so muddy I’d recommend going early in the morning for a cool morning breeze.

This trail is not very shady, so be sure to put sun screen on. I’d also recommend packing bug spray as it is heavily wooded. The trail was pretty dry today, and was easy to follow. There were a lot of small children out on this hike, so I would rate this one more on the easy-moderate. Cool pillbox and extra peace sign ledge for photo ops.

Did this the morning of May 24th. Very muddy going up, even muddier going down. I wouldn't take small children while its so muddy. Bring towels for after. There are showers across the street or the ocean of course

Very muddy and slippery borderline with dangerous. Couldn't go up but a quarter of the trail and decided to turn around due to have having a small kid with us. We just didn't feel comfortable doing it since we decided to do a Sunset Hike. Will definitely come back to it but not under the current soil conditions.

Very muddy and slippery. But view is great. Kinda off trail at some point and no sign to go to the second pillbox. We were trying to track human steps but got lost for a little.

Beautiful views at sunset! Well marked trail to get to the first pillbox, hike down the hill to get to the second box. Did this with a 7 month old in a carrier easily.

Went out this Saturday morning. I’ve been here many times, especially when watching the sunset or big surf. The challenge is going up. A lot of steep hills and stairs on along the trail. Be sure to bring enough water as you’ll need it when you make it past all those inclines going up. You’ll see a picnic table and then continue along until you reach the first bunker view. The second bunker is down the trail. If you’re new to this place, just follow the crowd since majority of them know where they’re going to or ask anyone about the trail. I actually did this hike and another trail hike in the area, in the same day.

We enjoyed this moderate hike. It has been a while since my wife has been out on a hike and this was a nice hike to get back into the swing of things. The first little bit is a little strenous but nothing impossible. It was dry to we did not have to contend with the wet mud. The views were great once we got up on top. You don't see how much beach there is from the road and the views from the pillbox and picknic table allow you to do that. Once you head away from the pillbox there are a lot of side trails and options for you to follow. It is a great hike and one we plan on bringing family to if this COVID 19 travel restrictions ever lift.

Pretty busy with people getting out, no marks, but lots of social distancing where possible. Luckily most sections are pretty wide! Beautiful views from picnic table and pillbox of surfers and breaks. Enjoyed the very quiet flat stretch after the first pillbox. Honestly didn't find a second, but enjoyed the many boulders and cairns. Will have to check out some of the other trails in Pupukea next time!

Quick and dirty, nice views at 2nd pillbox

This is one I do fairly regularly. Short but steep in parts, making for a great little workout. Can get really muddy so wear shoes with good traction and/or spikes. There are ropes in areas to help. Lovely views of the Pipeline.

Beautiful view from pillbox! Lots of trail options than what the loop shows for the trail. Heavy traffic but possible to social distance. Great for kids!

Great hike to work out those legs...trail starts off pretty flat & then boom straight up incline so be ready if your not in shape. The parking wasn’t bad just parked along side the main road.

Beautiful trail. The easiest one from the three pillboxes I think.

This hike is heavily trafficked so it’s great for solo hikers, kids and dogs. Awesome view of north shore.

I would rate this trail easy , well marked, with a pretty view of the sunset

Beautiful and serene. Did the second loop and went a bit off trail but there are a bunch of optional trails and markers to help you stay on course

Easy hike with the dog. Great ww2 history to these bunkers. Theres 2 up here that ive seen.

Nice, short hike, but muddy at the start. Great hike for the family.

Got lost after reaching the pillbox. There are a lot of small trails around the main loop and it is not clearly marked. We still enjoyed the sunset hike. On the way back down, we had to use out phone’s flashlights. If it wasn’t for this app we wouldn’t have made it out as fast as we did since it’s hard to navigate the trail in the dark. I also got bit by mosquitoes about 5 times(even with bug spray).

good short hike