Alei Pali is a 1.1 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waialua, Oahu, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.1 km Elevation Gain: 166 m Route Type: Out & Back

beach

This is a fantastic hike-if you can get past the first 100 feet. The entrance is a little challenging to find. And once you get to the rock bed stay towards the right side to re enter on the trail, but once you get past the long grass the views are incredible. Wear long pants so the bugs don’t eat up your legs and definitely wear closed shoes. Beware of some muddy spots but worth the hike up if you can push through the grass and find the path.

This trail is actually closer to Intermediate in terms of effort and risk. There are wonderful views spanning from Ka’ena to Mokulē’ia Beach at both lookout points. Take any of the path openings in the grass beyond the parking area; they all connect at the talus slope. Climb the boulders and follow the path(s) to the first lookout. There is a path to the back of this landing that leads to the second lookout. For extra credit, there are bouldering opportunities at the leaning slab and further east beyond the overhang. For those brave and skilled enough, the ropes lead to the top of the ridge.

Did this one last year. If you’re short like me, recommend going with a taller friend who can see over the brush. Great challenging hike well worth it for the views.

Did this on a whim shortly after rain, which I do not recommend. Look for the concrete poles in the brush on the upper parking lot and follow the marsh line up until you meet the rock bed. From there you ascend through tall grass, like others said you definitely want to wear pants. Came to the bottom of the Rocky outcropping with a small view and I feel like this is probably the end of the trail, but I somehow managed to navigate my way up the rest of the way until I was on the flat bluff up above. I do not recommend this at all unless you are a very experienced hiker/mountain climber, as some places were utterly life or death, especially with wet surfaces. But I'm curious if anyone else has done or attempted this? Let me know if so.

I started this trail but I didn't make it far past the bedrocks before I saw a couple huge spiders in the brush and noped it. I got past one but when I saw another large one, I decided to turn around and try a different trail. Everyone was right about the overgrowth. I went in the morning, so the dew left me pretty damp - maybe something to keep in mind.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Back again and Mother Nature is trying to reclaim this one. Agree the tall grass (especially at the start) is tough. Do it anyway. It’s worth it. If you can’t follow the exact trail just free style it. Follow the slope, you’re going up. Keep your eyes open and you’ll find the trail again. The plateaus are clear and give you a chance to reset and find your way. With the tall grass, up is way easier than down. Be careful with your footing.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Monday, February 12, 2018

Just guessed at initial entry but found the trail quickly enough from the corner of the parking lot. Gets tricky in spots to pick up the trail again after some boulder scrambles. At times I wasn’t sure if I was on the official trail or just a run off channel. Either way it worked out and was a blast. I did this in shorts with just minor scrapes. Good shoes or boots are key. You need traction.

Friday, October 20, 2017

Update: My original description (below) actually describes a different hike, about a 15 minute walk to the west. You can tell the entry point, just to the east of Manini Gulch, up a long, long rock slide that leads to a bowl-shaped area at the top. Only place like it on the Ka'ena coast. We did go back with poles and they were helpful in spots, but created new problems getting tangled up in the 6-foot-high grass. If there was a real trail here, this would not be too tough. Half the trail is climbing up a long row of boulders (apparently some sort of main-made feature. Would love to know the history here.) But fighting through the grass, small trees, kiawe, hidden rocks and holes -- it's slow going, probably an honest 3 hours to the top, almost as long back down. And you definitely do not want to get caught on the slope after dark. Every time we've done it, I honestly fear for my safety and we always find ourselves running late and watching the sun go down as we near the bottom. Still, if you're young and experienced, this is a one-of-a-kind hike that few people attempt. And so far, we've somehow gotten only minor bang-ups. If anybody does actually try this and does get to the top, I'd love to see some posted photos of the "mystery fields" on top of the plateau, just to the East -- apparently several acres of cultivated shrubs, etc., maintained part of the year by DLNR as habitat for game birds that the DLNR stocks the area (part of a forest reserve) with during hunting season. I think. Check them out on Google Maps -- crazy for something like that to be up in that isolated area. === Treacherous hike, mainly because of the thick grass, which hides numerous tripping hazards -- holes and large rocks. We each had several falls that could have resulted in serious injuries. That would be a problem on a pali where there is no cell reception. The top is beautiful, though, otherworldly, with incredible views. Worth the effort. Like everybody else, we saw no trail. We basically bushwhacked. Very steep in parts, but no scary knife-edge ridges. There were times, though, when I didn't know if we'd make it back without a fall. Recommendations: 1. If you want to bushwhack up to this magnificent plateau, try the westernmost part of the pali, just to the east of Manini Gulch. Similar hike, but it opens up halfway into a jaw-dropping bowl that is just mind-blowing. 2. Consider trekking poles, even if you've never used them before. We plan to go back up again with poles, which I think would really help when walking through the hidden tripping hazards. 3. Blazingly hot during mid-day with almost no shade. I overheated at one point and would have been in trouble if we didn't have cold water to pour on my head. You need a hat and start with frozen water. 4. Again, it's really worth it if you're physically up for the trek. This is different than hiking on a popular trail. You won't see signs of any other human life or meet other hikers. It's like exploring another world.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Good trail just wear long sleeves and joggers and maybe a sword to cut the grass out the way lol

Sunday, May 14, 2017

no clearly defined path at all, no way to enter or know where anyone may have treaded. 6-8 feet of grass.....more like shrubs and rocks. this isn't a hiking trail it's a jungle.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

no clear trail head, 6-8 feet of grass, wouldn't reccommend

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Park at the end of the Ka'ena Point road where the pavement for the Farrington Highway ends at the yellow gate. Looking towards the mountain, the trail is just barely visible going up the hill. There's no clearly defined path from the road. It's necessary to cross a couple hundred yards of flat terrain with grass that's 6-8 feet high. Be careful, there are some obstacles hidden in the high grass. Once the trail reaches the rock outcropping at ~400 ASL, it turns West. There are a couple nice outcroppings to set and watch the sunset. Then scramble back down before dark. Recommend taking a good headlamp and a spare light.

recorded Alei Pali