Aiea Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Aiea, Oahu, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,230 feet Route Type: Loop

A short drive from Honolulu, this 4.8 mile loop is great for the whole family. The trail offers incredible views of Halawa Valley and the southern coastline of Oahu. The hike takes up to 3 hours depending on your fitness level. Upon arriving to the trailhead, you'll find a parking area, picnicking area, and restrooms. This loop can be done in either direction. Visitors interested in military history may find the B-24J Crash Site interesting.

Started at 3pm and got caught in the rain so was a bit slippery but no issue with just sneakers/trainers. Nice trail, good view of H3 and very pleasant hike. More of a walk with only a couple of steep bits. Tons of parking, if you park at the trailhead you have to end by walking up the road, which is a steep way of ending the hike!!!

Great for trail running. Trail is very well maintained

Hands down one of the easiest hikes on island. Just follow the trail, it’s impossible to get lost. Easy cleared out path.

Great trail.

Easy hike with a killer view of H3.

Great trail! Went with a couple that had three kids (6, 3 and 9 months old) and they did a great job navigating the roots, rocks and uneven pathway that we occasionally came across. There is plenty shade and maybe 3 or 4 little rest areas that have a small bench although you can plop down on a rock or stump off to the side and you’ll be out of the way of other hikers. The path can be pretty narrow at times but if you and your kid are sure-footed, everyone will be alright and have a blast.

pretty easy with nice views of H3.

Very chill loop trail. Met a few runners and a couple other groups, but it wasn’t bad. We got there about 9:30 on a Thursday so I can see it being crowded like they say at other times. Did this with my mom for her 70th birthday! Beautiful views :)

Trail is great! So many other trails to explore, a must go to spot!

Really nice trail. Would be great for trail running or if you just want to walk for exercise. The trail is covered so you don't have to worry about the sun beating down on you. I went on a day where the majority of the trail was dry. There was one small section towards the end that was very muddy and slippery. This would be a nightmare if it rained recently.

Nice hike. Little muddy but doable. Baby carried with 1 year old and two 6 year olds. Can see plane crash but experienced only to go down to touch it.

5/24/2020-Started hiking around 0730 and encountered 53 people along with a handful of pet dogs. Seems like there are more people hiking this trail and earlier than 0930-1000 like we’d usually see pre-COVID. Ground was a little slippery and had a handful of trail runners that we had to let through. Otherwise the weather was nice aside from a brief shower when we first started and the view was awesome like usual.

Pretty cool trail. The path is clean and well kept but make sure you wear shoes with good grip because it does get pretty muddy in some spots. A handful of great lookout points, including some prime photo ops looking out over the H3. Only downer - parking. There are parking lots but not many. They fill up fast and if you park anywhere that’s not a clearly marked parking stall you will get a $35 ticket. So there’s that.

2 words- LOOOONG & MUDDY!!! We started this trail at 7:15a and finished at 10:15a!! It started to drizzle when we got there and I guess that area rained the night before so the entire trail was MUDDY!! So muddy we were sliding all over and almost fell multiple times!! It also rained and drizzled throughout our entire walk! DO NOT recommend going if it rained the night before!! My 4 daughters, (ages 12, 13, 15 & 16) my husband and I did this hike/trail. They thought it was too long and the youngest and second oldest kept complaining most of the time lol. It really was looong and definitely not safe with the mud! If you love nature and long long long walks with incline in some areas & mud than this is the trail for you!! I personally thought it was a beautiful trail however it was too long & too muddy lol. But while on this trail I saw God’s beauty!

Really muddy and slippery. Other than that, pretty easy. Would be way more enjoyable if not so muddy. Bring towels.

one of my favorites. we wore our infant and had plenty of opportunities to take a break in the shade

Very beautiful hike! Mostly shaded with several look out points. I took my 7 & 10 yo kids and they did great! The bugs weren’t bad at all surprisingly. It was muddy, but not too bad. It was a sunny day.

Great for trail running!!! Although, we did this on a day where it was raining here and there and it was extremely muddy but not too slippery. On a dry day, this would be a perfect trail for anyone to accomplish! If you don’t like hills, I suggest you park at the first lot and enter the trail near the picnic benches. Otherwise if you start at the top parking lot you end up having to walk up the road to your car at the end. This trail is completely shaded with beautiful views!!

Aiea Loop is checked off our list. Don’t know if we will feel the need to do it again. It was a pretty walk through the woods. Not a lot of great lookouts. I would say it’s moderate because of the distance not so much the difficulty of the trail. It was busy on a Saturday, narrow path made it hard to safely pass other parties (during the COVID pandemic) We enjoyed it but because of the distance it felt like we were just trucking along to get it done and not enjoying the hike. Pros: •Beautiful place to walk through the woods with the whole family. •Well marked / nice and cleared trail •Easy to find and easy parking •Not buggy! Cons: •Could get muddy if rained recently •Busy •Not completely shaded so some parts were very sunny and hot. Be sure to put in sunscreen

Less than impressed. I wouldn’t call it a hike but rather a walk in the woods with such a well groomed trail it could have been a sidewalk. The views are mediocre at best. I heard so many great things about the trail perhaps my expectations were the problem. I also have no idea why it’s rated as moderate, it’s definitely easy with the exception of the last .25 mile having an incline. Certainly a trail for someone looking for a leisure (long) walk in the woods.

Love this trail! Nice and easy, beautiful lookouts and great to talk and walk on. The path isn’t too narrow, and very easy to follow. I love the memorial to the plane that crashed as well.

Great hike, long and relatively easy. Try parking on the lower area by the picnic tables and go through backwards, that way after you’ve done the hike you don’t have to walk up the steep road to get to the car. Really nice views and the plane wreckage about 2/3 of the way in. Good for kids and dogs

Easy loop trail! There’s parking stalls all the way up to the trail head, which we didn’t realize, so we parked at the first set of restrooms and parking spots and added about a half mile to the distance but we didn’t mind. There’s very tame wild pigs + chickens at the park that are so cute and photogenic. Very dog + kid friendly trail. Mild incline throughout and a few smaller paths where you can only walk one person at a time, but over all it’s a very easy hike with shade for a majority of it. The park doesn’t technically open until 0700, but we were able to enter and park at 0645. It was dry and a little dusty in areas, so I think if it rained it would be a little muddy but today it was perfect! We did a total of 5.1 miles according to my Apple Watch with the extra distance from parking in the first lot

So I would say this is an easy hike. Wasn’t overwhelmed or impressed with the trail. If you want something that is just a walk in the woods this is it. I did sweat a little bit but wasn’t to tired from this. A few views to see but mostly it’s a walk in the woods.

I would recommend this trail to anyone. It’s a family friendly paved trail. I recommend going through trail at 7am. So when the gate opens, don’t park there... keep going up to the next set of parking lot (like a campsite). It’s best to park here because you’ll end the trail and walk downhill to your car. Park there then look to the right, you’ll see stairs going down by bathrooms. Go down and steer left, you’ll see a sign and a path follow it all the way. The trail will be a slight incline for about an hour (I’m slow but not that slow)... there are like 3 nice spots for scenery pictures that overlook H3. No high grass or too many bugs so you can wear shorts. When the trail ends you will end at the bathroom and parking lot at the top. All you do now is walk downhill to the next set of parking (which is the campsite).

the rain over the night made walking this trail today nice and cool, along with little to no people seen on the trail with the exception of an occasional trail runner. a little muddy in spots, but completely manageable. I had my 30 lb toddler on my back the whole time.

Perfectly well kept walking or running trail. Diverse foliage, mostly flat, slight ups and downs. No super scenic lookout or view point but the whole trail is charming.

I would rate this hike as easy not moderate. The trail is still open with covid19, although the park itself isn’t. I read recent reviews and made sure to park relatively far away (although residents still gave me strange looks). I didn’t get a parking ticket and I didn’t see any tickets on other cars.