Wailuku Heights Cross is a 2.4 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and bird watching.

Distance: 2.4 km Elevation Gain: 279 m Route Type: Out & Back

Bring good hiking shoes, and bottle water. Need to be hydrated.

Trail is hard to find from the road, but it’s just right of the telephone pole (see uploaded picture). The directions from AllTrails is right, you just have to trust it. Seems like there’s some disagreement on whether the trail is moderate or difficult. While it’s not a long hike, it’s definitely steep. It’s harder than I expected for such a short distance. That being said, I’m glad we decided to take the time. Most of the hike doesn’t have a view, but once you get to the top you get a view of the ocean and it’s worth it. Be careful on your way down, it’s steep and slippery.

I hiked this trail today with my wife we started at 11:15 in the morning. The weather was humid and the temperature was 90 to 100° throughout the hike. The entry is located at the north end of the guard rail and it’s a little bit hard to find. As you enter the trail it is immediately steep. There are roots which you can use as steps but as you get into the trail you will start to hike on a thick carpet of Pineneedles which get pretty slippery especially coming down. The trail is vague at a couple points and we got off course once forcing us to backtrack a bit. Use your gps to stay on trail. We took numerous breaks on this hike due to the humidity sucking the fluids out of us. At the end of the hike our clothes were soaked. Take lots of water. At the cross the view is beautiful! Continue past the cross and hike to the fence. That view is spectacular too! On this hike as we got near the top there was a fruit growing wild which were dropping to the ground. They smelled sweet like a glass of port. Many of them were fermenting on the ground. The hike down was a bit treacherous even though we wore hiking boots. I swear the roots that helped me going up came alive and tried to trip me a couple times going down. If there is a hint of rain I would not do this hike. Trails lists this hike as 900’, but if you continue past the cross to the fence our gps showed a climb of 1150’. I would rate this hike a high moderate. We definitely got a great workout. Enjoy!

Great views at the end. Almost no views during. Very slippery and a stair climber!

Fun little hike...imagine 30 minutes straight on a slippery stair climber. Interesting vegetation and quality views at the top. It is quite slippery in some sections, even when dry, due to all the pine(?) needles blanketing the floor.

A little hard to follow at first with all the pine needles/leaves but otherwise solid, steep trail. Fun climb. Careful not to slip on the way down! Luckily haven’t gotten much rain lately so not muddy at all. Park in town about 10 min from trailhead and took me 1hr30 min from my car, up to the fence, and then back down again. Cross was bigger than I expected! Would recommend.

Great views on a mostly clear day! Great workout hike too. Go on a dry day

Tough trail with a very steep incline. It should be rated hard. Absolutely beautiful views at the top. Be careful if it has rained recently, I would stay away.

Great challenge for the occasional hiker! Went Day after big rain storm and it was a little slippery but nothing hiking shoes can’t handle. First 3/4 to the cross was consistently an aggressive incline. Last 1/4 to the cross flattened out and was able to run most of it. After the cross trail is very narrow and brush covered, mild incline able to move quickly through it. Definitely worth making it to the fence at the end of the trail. Only an additional few minutes to it. Incredible views, excellent spot to send a drone up if you bring one. On the way down I was able to run about 1/2 the total hike until it got a bit to slippery for a fast pace. This isn’t a very long hike but is absolutely worth doing. Started at 7:30a, spent 30+ mins at top flying the drone, at the bottom by 10:00a. Parking is not available directly at the trail start, I parked 3/4mi. Down the road at a church. This address will give you where to park: 2499-2287 Main St, Wailuku, HI 96793. Enjoy!

slippery and steep, but worth it. great views in beautiful nature setting.

Some reviewers here seem overly agitated about the difficulty of this hike. It’s pretty steep, but not 60 degrees (obviously). It can be muddy in the rain, so maybe don’t do it on a really wet day. Anyway - the hike is beautiful, somewhat challenging and has a great payoff. Keep going until you reach the fence. Don’t stop at the cross, don’t stop at where you see some thick brush, go all the way to the metal fence for maximum views - you didn’t do all this work for nothing. Cheers and enjoy :-)

Views are fantastic!! Go beyond white cross the the fence (yes, it’s there, keep going) you won’t regret it. The hike up is a killer (hubby and I are pretty good hikers...hubby called it “stair master 4,000”) and way down goes fast (though we had no rain to deal with or it would have been dangerously slippery). If you want a good workout, this does the trick for sure. We parked just past the almost hidden entrance, up on the grassy part of the right hand side of the road and had no issues.

Trail entrance is a bit overgrown but the rest of the trail is pretty easy to navigate. Where the road curves left (right after the road splits to alu rd), Look out for a small opening in the vegetation. It is pretty steep so you get a good workout on the way up and have to be careful on the way down. If you go a little past the cross, you’ll get a good view of the isthmus. Took us about 90 min to get to the cross and back going at a fairly leisurely pace.

The trail head is difficult to see. It's just off to the side of the road where it is marked on the map. Park either below near the construction site or park off the left hand side of the road just above the beginning of the trail. Trail leads to a white cross but don't stop there continue on to see a view of the coast and valley below. Trail ends at a chain link fence which prevents you from going into the west maui forest reserve. Trail is small and extremely slippery if wet. Can be steep as well. View points are awesome. Took us about 90 minutes with great conditions. Not advisable for people with bad knees, or have unsure footing seeing as the entire trail is going over roots uphill/downhill. Overall good hike to start early, as with any hike in Maui, good views past the cross.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Sept.21, 2018 Trail starts at the fork just look for brush entrance on the curve of the road. Park by metal building on side of the where construction going on. Hike took us almost an hour to go up, it’s very steep almost 60 degree incline and 80 degree on top parts. It’s difficult and not got small kids or dogs. We started hike at 9:50am came back to car at 11:50am. Views r amazing once you reach cross keep on going. B careful of sharp drop off on side of trail. Enjoy the view but don’t get lightheaded and fall - I doubt anyone can recover a body from that cliff. All in all very challenging hike, amazing nature. Lots of beautiful flowers and plants. Forest looks almost haunted. Climbing up is very hard but going down is much harder. Do not go there after 3pm. Iao Valley always rains after 3. This is very dangerous trail if it’s wet.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

I really enjoyed this hike. It’s straight uphill, but the scenery and plants are beautiful all the way up. Maybe I missed something, but it didn’t seem to be a loop, just up and back. I’ll do it all over again if I get a chance!

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Looking for a good workout with some beautiful views as a reward? This is your hike. Great cardio hike. I felt the hike up was safer, but much harder physically. The hike down was a bit dicey as there were many dead leaves and small sticks on the steep trail. You tended to slide as you descended. I wouldn’t hike this trail in the rain.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Great trail. The trailhead is right at the turn in the road and is not marked. Park before the turn uphill near the construction site. The first half of the trial is straight up hill. It is quite the workout but really shaded and the view is amazing when you get to the top. The trail ends at the Maui preserve and there is no entrance allowed as there is a fence protecting the park.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

It was refreshingly simple, yet extremely scenic!!! With stunning views of Lao Valley and Kahului Bay, I'll be sure to go frequently: at one point, you can even see the opposing bays of Kahului & Kihei. A must see

recorded Wailuku Heights Cross