Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,574 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

Absolutely beautiful trail. Challenging at times but worth the view. The beginning is steep and unshaded but then you head into gorgeous shaded Forrest, and eventually into a series of switchbacks up to the top. Hiking boots recommended, it can be muddy and slippery!

recorded Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Loved it!!!

Great trail with great views! Defiantly worth the view!

The best trail I have done so far! Amazing views and so breathtaking. I recommend getting there as early as possible - 7 or 8am at the latest or the humidity will be brutal! I can’t wait to go again

This trail is by far the hardest hike I have ever done! I loved it and completed this hike multiple times. When you reach the top 9/10 times someone is proposing. And it’s really sweet being a part of the magic of a proposal!! There’s a picnic table at the very top and it’s all above the clouds. It’s literally fun, challenging and you will witness the most beautiful scenery to ever hit your eyes! Enjoy!

Fat guy advice ~ go slow, but you can do it. I’m 6’1 300lbs with a nice round belly like a globe. Up and down with sight seeing in 1hr55min. Right away the concrete launch pad to start makes you rethink your life choices, but once you get past that the first mile is easy and in trees. The next mile is where you wished you had turned back, but don’t want to be a quitter so suck it up and keep going! I was breathing harder than a dehydrated dog, but stop for a sec to collect your breath and get your mouth wet. At this point I’ve been passed by the healthy people who make it look easy and you have nothing but good thoughts about them ;). The first hill has the best views of both valleys to the left and right, once at the top its more of the satisfaction of completing it with out having a heart attack than the actual view once up there. On the way down it is slippery and I’m not to proud to say I almost fell once like a graceful lion on roller blades, but saved it. Have fun, it’s worth the sweat. Speaking of sweat......

Depending on the time of year you go how much you will see. We were there March 2018, and we had a great hike, however, once through the lower forest level we ran into rain and zero visibility. Make sure you wear shoes that do well in mud, due to some areas being really slippery and other areas that have thick mud. We could hear waterfalls, but due to no visibility we didn't see any. It was a difficult hike, especially with the change in elevation and weather conditions. However, we are glad we did it but wish we had a day where it was clear to see more. There is a picnic table and viewing area on the top of the mountain that was a nice break, even though we were in the rain, before turning around and going back down.

Hike was not inaccessible yesterday, trail was open and many people were on it

It is not closed

Wear sunscreen! It’s such a beautiful hike. Can get muddy so wear good shoes. One of my favorite hikes

Hike inaccessible as roads closed except for local traffic

We had a blast on this hike even though it was raining and 0 visibility when we did it. Gets a bit chilly at the top so bring layers! Heavy rain makes it very muddy and therefor slippery. It is also quite steep in some parts so it can be pretty challenging in bad weather.

Fun hike today I would rate it as moderate but would be more difficult in rain or muddy conditions. Bring hiking sticks and water. Views are dependent on cloud cover but was beautiful today.

très jolie et plutot moderee que difficile. boue abondante rendant la descente périlleuse avec de nombreuses chutes chez des gens mal chaussés pour l'activité. apportez des bâtons et souhaitez que des nuages bas ne viennent encombrer vos points de vue

Pretty easy for a serious hiker. Views are condition dependent, with low clouds the view at the top is pretty remarkable. But still good views in bad conditions, just not the greatest. Mud can make this trail a bit annoying, but that's Hawaii hiking for you.

3rd time hiking this great trail. Best to do early in the morning as the sun can be very hot later in the day. Remember to bring a hat, water, and sun screen and trekking poles if you have them.

A must if you love hiking, views and gorgeous landscape. We originally planned to go to the Makamakaole Falls but someone’s car got broken into, windows smashed, so we went back to this trail. Go through the gate and up the hill and it is a very safe place to leave your car. We didn’t realize how long the hike was, so we didn’t even bring our water bottles with us. I am 59,my husband is 62. We did the whole thing is 2 hours. It was one of the highlights of our vacation!!!!!

Really beautiful views throughout this hike. It’s a tough hike, a few people turned back while we were on the trail (crossed our minds too...but mostly bc I’m out of shape). The air at the top is thin! There was a wind advisory when we hiked, which turned out to be nice to have the clouds and winds to cool us down from the difficult cardio. I would do it again

Incredible views. Could only make it up half way, slick and muddy due to rain. We would have needed hiking boots and sticks to make it up and back safely.

Great views from first lookout. We were in the clouds at the last lookout. Trail was muddy and a bit slick towards the top.

great views of multiple waterfalls, ocean and mountains. fairly steep so if you're not in shape, it will be difficult. moderate for those in shape. trail surface was mostly smooth with a few rocky spots. excellent hike, highly recommend.