Waihe'e Ridge Trail

Waihe'e Ridge Trail is a 6.4 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.4 km
489 m

partially paved

Hiking the Waihee ridgeline up in the Maui mountains is dramatic and always scenic. This hike in West Maui Forest Reserve promises lush scenery, great valley views and some dramatic ridge-line hiking. A well groomed ridge trail suitable for trail runners and hikers of all skill levels. Elevation gains by clean switch-backs and stairs spaced apart by spots of flat terrain. Good views available if hiking on a clear day but expect moderate sun exposure. As on the windward side of all Hawaiian islands, you're more likely to be in for wet weather and muddy conditions. But it's not all that bad, since this means waterfalls are plentiful, the vegetation is greener and the cooler conditions make for a nice comfortable hike.

Stunning views when the clouds are away and the sun is out. Unfortunately the top was covered in clouds and there wasn’t much of a view, but overall it was a great day hike.

Gotta get there before the clouds! Luckily for us we managed to scramble this hike easily on such a hot clear day! The island has its own weather system so don’t expect it to be sunny in every spot. it was a beautiful view.

cloudy at the top, no views.

My husband and I hiked this trail last week and really enjoyed it. I consider myself to be in decent physical shape (jog 1-2 miles a few times per week) and did find the initial 2 mile uphill climb challenging. I was definitely huffing and puffing all the way up because it’s non stop uphill. However, there lots of pretty spots to pause and take a break. Also since it’s all downhill on the way back, it makes for an easy second half. I’d definitely recommend doing this in the morning to avoid the sun (no shade). Also, when we left around 11 am, parking was very crowded and the overflow parking was a ways away from the start of the trail.

A little muddy, but manageable. It was a clear day with amazing views. Took a little over an hour going up and a little less going down. Get there early to get a sparking spot at the trailhead or be prepared for an even longer hike from the overflow lot.

I’d also recommend using the bathroom before you get there. There are outhouses there, but I doubt they’ve been emptied in the last month. They were overflowing with fun stuff.

Great Hike. Horrible Bathrooms.

A little bit dirty and slippery, but worth it... breathtaking views.

Decent hike and wonderful scenic views. The hike is challenging for the first mile or so. It's straight up a hill. I wouldn't do this trail again. There are many easier trails in Maui with much more reward.

Super muddy but doable with proper footwear. We were wearing our running shoes and it didn’t take long for mud to cake into the bottoms and cause us to slide around. No real visibility near the top on this day. It started to rain halfway up and then it was just foggy. I would do this trail on a very clear day with hiking shoes/boots.

Easy to find trail head. Very straight forward hike up a ridge line. About 2-2.5 hours for the round trip. We had rain and the trail was quite slippery coming down, but was quite manageable over all.

Nice trail, easy walk that many can do. Views are good on a clear day.

The trail was horribly muddy, to the point where we likely wouldn't have been able to do it, or would have been dangerous without hiking boots and a trekking pole/hiking stick. We saw some people entering in flip flops when we left which made me nervous. Dress appropriately for mud and steep climbs!

That being said, the trail itself was a good trail and very doable for kids if dressed appropriately. The views we did see when the rain/clouds cleared a bit on the way down were great.

We got there around 7am in hopes of clear skies, but weren't so lucky. I'd shoot for a clear day to make this worth it.
However, it was still nice that we were one of the first in the lot, and the lot was full by the time we were finished around 9am. Would recommend getting there early.

Great trail and easy to follow. We went on dry day so trail was fine. If it’s raining it would definitely be much more difficult. First 5 minutes of the trail is steep but paved then a more gradual incline . It does get steeper as you approach the top. The views are amazing and worth the hike to the top. Parts of the trail are in the shade but as you get closer to the top you are more exposed to the sun. It does get cloudy however if it’s a clear day it would definitely be hot in the open areas . Take plenty of water. It took us 1 hour to reach the top and about 45 minutes to come down .

This trail was SO BEAUTIFUL! I highly recommend it for something doable for a wide variety of skill levels, fairly decent trip time (doesn’t take a whole day) and incredible views. The trail is a very steady incline on the trip in, so just be aware of that. The waterfall mentioned is NOT something you hike to, nor get to really see up close or anything. I was somewhat misled by that for some reason. But nonetheless, it did not disappoint.

Really enjoyed the views from this trail! Just beautiful. It is an out and back and the first half is all UP, which was hard work for us prairie people! Took us about 1h20 up and only 45min to come back down. Only moderate whining from the teenagers ;)

Majestic views on the ridge. Foggy at 8am. Wind picks up and clears up the clouds on the way down. Took us 55min to make it to the top. 2 hours in total.

Breathtaking!

This was great trail! Just the right amount of challenge. Absolutely stunning views. Definitely recommend going bright and early before it gets too hot as most of the trail is not shaded. We got lucky and it was very sunny. Would definitely be a slick trail after or during rain!

amazing views! it was a little muddy as other reviewers have mentioned but nothing sneakers can't handle.

Heavily traveled, beautiful hike with good elevation gain. I went at 1:30 pm and there were two open spots at the upper parking lot. The lower parking lot was still pretty full. I would not want to park at the lower lot and walk up. Either hitch hike or wait until after lunch to start so that parking is available.

The amazing views made the trip up well worth it. Kids went up faster than we did, almost running at times. Great sense of accomplishment when you make it up.

Such a worthwhile hike! We have two kids, boy who is 7years old and daughter who is 10years and they managed the hike no problem. We arrived after the morning rush was leaving, around 1100am and found a spot in the lot closest to the trail entrance. It was a little slick with mud, but a walking stick helped greatly. You can grab a stick left behind by other hikers too. Views are outstanding. Bring water, and food for the top - kids were hungry after hiking all the way up.

Beautiful trail and a great way to start the day. We were on the trail by 8 and it was perfect. It gets muddy as you move up. Recommend finding a walking stick early. Worth the effort!

This is a great trail with fabulous views.. I would not try this when it has rained. You may want to grab a walking stick there are several at the entry to the trails ... you will be glad you did. Also be aware that there are 2 lots so try the upper lot first because the overflow lot is almost a mile away in steep grades .

We loved the hike

Glorious views! I loved the different plant life at different elevations. I started at around 9 am and wish I had better applied sunscreen as this hike is pretty exposed. I saw several people doing it with no water and in converse sneakers or slippers which had me a bit worried for them. Come prepared and respect the āina!

Hiked this trail today. Great conditions and spectacular views. There were some muddy spots, but mostly dry. I’m not a seasoned hiker, so for me it was a little challenging.

Definitely a must do! Great conditions! Views are amazing!

wonderful hike, first 100 yards are the worst part. The views along the whole way were spectacular! Clouds rolled in and then out after about 10 minutes so we still had amazing use all the way through.

Good hike. Easy to follow trail. Terrain is easy especially if it’s not raining; I can see it getting muddy otherwise. The constant uphill is a little challenging especially if it’s sunny. The view is nice along the hike.

beautiful view . uphill well define trail .