Waiakoa Loop Trail

Waiakoa Loop Trail is a 5.6 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kula, Maui, Hawaii that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 km Elevation Gain: 370 m Route Type: Loop

Pig Trail

If you don't have a 4x4 to get all the way to Poli Poli state park this trail may be something to check out. Nice hike especially if you want to see some Hawaiian forest birds like the red Apapane. For views of central Maui you could walk up the Upper Waiakoa trail which connects with the loop trail and is marked with a sign. It is moderately steep and goes up past the trees into more open terrain.

Awesome hike. Nobody on trail. Lots of elevation change. Hope you’re in shape.

Fantastic hike! Felt like a fairytale. beautiful trail!

Alone in The forest! Cool!

Amazing!! Saw zero people on the trail- so peaceful

My family really enjoyed this hike. We didn't see another person the entire time. Basically this is a serene hike through the woods. No views due to the clouds but it didn't matter. Lots of shade as well. I guess I would do this loop clock-wise so it doesn't end with a climb but it probably doesn't matter. Nice to get away from it all!

This is an absolutely beautiful hike. I arrived at about 1 pm with my two dogs. At an elevation of about 6400 ft above sea level, the temperature was very comfortable. I definitely would rate this a moderate hike, the incline and decline of the trail gave me and my dogs a good workout. I read one feedback as ‘no view’. The Kula National forest is your view, there is no panoramic ocean view in the midst of trees lol. The air floods the scent of eucalyptus trees and the sound of calling birds. A very zen place to hike. This trail allows leashed dogs. I did pass by a couple of doggie poops, for those who bring your dogs, please clean up after them so we can continue to enjoy the privilege of bringing our dogs to enjoy the outdoors.

The first thing I noticed was how heavenly it smelled. Very nice hike in shade. I didn't see any wild pigs but there is plenty of evidence that they are there. Go early to beat the fog and rain. The only people I saw were a work crew.

recorded Waiakoa Loop Trail

Loved it.

Quite easy hike. Smells like in a wood medicine cabinet. Beautiful trees.

Beautiful hike in the forest

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Decent hike, some mud, but not too many scenic views, and the hike is very Pacific Northwesty...trails, grass, good cover, ok all around.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

This was a great trail but we had lots of fresh trees down across the trail which made it a touch difficult in spots. Quite foggy in spots but beautiful. I was very short and running shoes and had no problem at all other than with the downed trees. With the up and down it gives you a bit of a workout at time. Highly recommend.

Friday, August 17, 2018

beautiful run down the switch back trail. goats at the bottom. we went clockwise. recommend it.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Fog limited the visibility, but overall was a great and beautiful hike.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

My family did this hike today. The 4x4 road is no joke, so park at the hunting check in station. it was beautiful in the trees with the mist. We set off around 0900 and were very comfortable. We saw 4 other people throughout the hike. A solid moderate hike with some elevation changes and slippery loose lava and leaves. The trail is maintaned very well. My kids are 8 & 4 and completed the hike with only minor complaints from younger one. We stopped at the Kula farmers market on the way back for some treats. A good break from the beach.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Beautiful area, and not overly difficult. We saw no other people or wild pigs on the trail. I would recommend bug spray and at least one trekking pole as there were loose rocks and a few slippery areas. Park at the hunting shack and walk in .7 to trailhead. Good for families.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

This was a great trail! Shade, cool, ups and downs, loop, no wind. Loved it. Recommend going clockwise. Agree with others in parking by the 4WD sign - walk 0.7 miles till the start of the loop. I used my apple watch to gps the hike and it gave me 4.4 miles from that 4WD sign round trip, not 3.5. The loop itself is about 3.0 miles.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Had an awesome time. Hike itself was not bad at all. Scenery is very beautiful. It was relatively rainy today and added to feel almost like hiking through a rainforest of some sort. Ran into one group, otherwise it was just my family and I. It was at times pretty muddy, definitely bring some good shoes or hiking boots. I definitely wouldn't recommend trying to drive through the 4wd only section. We thankfully decided against it and hiked through. Absolutely no way anything except a lifted heavy duty off roading vehicle is getting through that. I would recommend the hike to anyone. My mom doesn't hike much at all and was able to make it through just fine.

Tuesday, May 01, 2018

We parked at the top prior to the 4wd sign. Good thing, that road wouldn’t have been passable without a lifted 4wd vehicle. It was completely rutted out in places and would have been a struggle in a basic 4wd vehicle. The hike was great but we mistakenly did it counter clockwise and I swear it felt like the whole thing was uphill. We had the whole trail to ourselves, didn’t run into a single soul. No rain and a perfect cool day with light jackets. We saw goats and piglets which were adorable but we didn’t want to run into mama hog (or mistakenly separate her from her piglets) so we barked like dogs to scare them all off. The trees were stunning, birds were chirping, and the trail was in good shape which other than the uphill factor, didn’t require too much effort to traverse. We did not locate the “cave” which was on the map/sign at the trailhead.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Took us slightly more than 2 hours, with a 9 year old kid, the road to go there is a bit edgy, but ok, we did the loop counter clock wise, actually coming back by car the view is very nice. Pedestrian traffic was minimum when we did it.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Short and sweet but there lawless to some nice longer trails around here

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Great trail. The 1km walk in on the 4w only road was no big deal at all. We did the loop counter clockwise to make the the traverse of the mountainside at the far end of the loop a downhill hike. There's 1 sitting bench along the trail, just before making the downhill trek. Wonderful towering eucalyptus trees & majestic old growth pine trees. The songbirds in the trees made a great chorus as we walked along. Saw some ferrule goats but no wild pigs. We'd watched the Kula weather forecast and began hike about 10am. It was cool but quite pleasant with a long sleeved shirt. The clouds started forming later in the morning. Made the loop in 2+hrs with a stop for lunch along the way. Will definitely come back and do this hike again

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

I did this today and it was a beautiful day. The forest is beautiful and the hiking is easily done. The four wheel drive is necessary to get down to the start. Overall a good hike today.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Great hike. We had to walk to the trail itself as you need a 4x4 to drive to it. It took us 2 hours for a round trip. You can go for a much longer hike from the same direction, you'll see a map before starting the trail. We did just a loop and it was nice. No real breathtaking views (hence 3 stars), but the forest itself is beautiful. Loved the smell of eucalyptus and wild lilikoi. Google directions took us to the wrong place, you need to stop once you see a hunters hut on the left side of the road and there will be a gate toward the hike, you can drive through the gate if you have 4x4.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Nice overall hike. We drove up to the hunting hut checkin point. You can park directly below the hut off the road. You need to walk in 0.8 miles along the dirt road before you reach the actual trail head. If you have 4 wheel drive, you can drive to trail head. It's a loop trail so read the sign/map to ensure you know where you're heading. Take a picture of the map at the trailhead to ensure you know which trail to take. The north fork splits after a short distance in, but it's not clearly marked. This is where the map helped. The trail is in kula which is higher in elevation. Give yourself time to walk slower, bring water, and an extra shirt or layer in case it gets cold. The hike is mostly under a canopy. The overall trail is easy to moderate. There is some elevation gain and loss, but not strenuous. The Trail relatively well maintained. We went during pig hunting season. It unnerved me a bit to know there might be hunters in the area. But stay on the trail and you should be fine.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Overall, good moderate hike. This is actually a 2.8 mile loop. Not 6 miles like the description says. The trails aren't marked well as you get deeper in, so you need to pay attention. We almost went off the trail at two spots on the North end where the trail starts to descend. You'll also need to be prepared to go around/over downed trees.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We started this three mike loop at the hunter sign in station, well marked and other than the one pig and one cow we had the trail o ourselves.