Pipiwai Trail and Waimoku Falls

Pipiwai Trail and Waimoku Falls is a 5.5 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hana, Maui, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.5 km Elevation Gain: 250 m Route Type: Out & Back

A unique and very special waterfall hike where your adventures begin even before you reach the trailhead. A favorite Maui hike, yet for some people the drive to the trailhead alone is excitement enough. The Hana Highway is sixty miles of scenic but curvy coastal road, reportedly featuring 620 curves and 59 bridges, most of which are single-lane bridges. If you relish your driving experiences then the Hana Highway alone is a "must-do". The round trip to the falls and back takes in several great waterfalls before reaching the spectacular Waimoku Falls, and a boardwalk journey through dense, dark bamboo forest that you're unlikely to forget.

This really is a hike. Its not a stroll. It’s amazing and beautiful! I’m middle-aged, over weight, and out of shape. I love this kind of adventure, though. Sore knees and ankles, and it is still worth it! It was absolutely a “moderate” trail for my husband and I. Our young adult children thought it ranged from easy to moderate. It costs $25 per car to enter the park. The trail is well marked. The gnats came out after the afternoon Hawaiian rain shower. All four of us wore water socks or tennis shoes. We highly recommend something more than flip flops! We all wore our swim suits to get in any water we came across. It was a good plan since it rained on the way to the waterfall. And it poured rain when we did the additional half mile loop at the bottom. The thing that surprised us most... it took 4 hours (no stopping for pics or anything else) to get from Lahaina to the parking lot! We left at 8:30 on a Tuesday - wasn’t even the weekend. The hike up the trail took us two hours - that included lots of stops for pics. The hike down, the half mile loop, and swimming in the “pools”, took another two hours. In summary: pack plenty of food and drinks, and plan for it to take all day. It’s absolutely amazing and worth it!

The bamboo forest was amazing and the waterfall at the end also. Be careful, there are rocks falling from high up around the waterfall every so often and can seriously hurt you! Two pieces of rock fell when we were there - luckily nobody got hurt! Generally the trail is super busy and touristy. We started at 9 am and there was already “rush hour”. Currently the smell of rotting fruit (mangoes) on the trail is quite overpowering at times.

my favorite hike in Maui. If you are going to make one stop for a hike on the Road to Hana make this the one.

I signed up for this app just so i can leave a review of this magical hike. This is probably my favorite hike I have ever done. It is absolutely breathtaking. There are so many beautiful and exciting parts to this hike: bridges, boardwalks, waterfalls, bamboo forests, banyan trees, overgrown lush jungle feels, streams, mongooses, wildlife, the list goes on and on. I didn’t want to do this hike. It was first thing in the morning after camping, i was tired, hadn’t had anything to eat or drink, but my boyfriend insisted. I’m so so glad we went, because it seriously is my favorite hikes so far, and second favorite waterfall I’ve ever seen (first was a frozen waterfall and you just can’t beat that haha). The only thing I didn’t like about the hike was the first portion of it. There are mango trees all over which in theory is cool, but there are rotten mangoes allllll over and they smell AWFUL (to me) and there are so many bugs all over them. In summary, the beginning of the hike smells disgusting and there are millions of little bugs, but after that it’s absolutely amazing. Feels like you’re in Japan or something. There is some mud but like duh, you’re hiking to and past waterfalls.

Constant uphill hike to waimoku falls. You pass a lot of rotten guava on the way. Lots of bugs, I got bit 9x by mosquitoes.. then you pass through a bamboo forest, and finally the finale, pretty epic waterfall. Best to wear water shoes if you want to get close to the fall. Hike back down took an hour.

Spent couple hours in this gem. The trail was muddy due to rain but manageable. Such a beautiful trail with “stair flights” like steps. You cross the bamboo Forrest that will blow you away with its beauty! You end the trail with a big waterfall! Best part is you actually end at the bottom of the fall itself and can get in the water/ under waterfall. My favorite fall on the Road to Hana.

Not to be missed!One can go right underneath the falls - and it's not far from where the trail ends on alltrails. It's safe and I highly recommend it!

fun splash in the water at the falls. mangoes along the way

This is a great hike that is well maintained at a National Park. A couple bridges and great picture opportunities. Not hard at all. Towards the end there is a 40 foot waterfall that u can get under and cool off. Bring water shoes as the rocks can hurt your feet and become very slippery.

So crowded with tourists that are inconsiderate. Highly unimpressed with the little trickle of water. Couldn’t pay me to do it again.

Amazing! Totally worth the short hike in to the falls. Not to be missed!

Beautiful trail! Bamboo forests, waterfalls, gorgeous views. Everything you could ever want to see

To get to this hike is a hike in it’s self. The Hana hwy. great trail that is well marked with up dated “boardwalk “ over much of the bamboo forest area. The trail is moderately steep. It was very humid but not overwhelming hot. Took three hours to do this but sat at the falls for about 45 minutes. Great place for coffee and a sandwich. Love love love the bamboo portion.

Trail complement superb! Easy difficulty moderate! View to cut the breath at the end !!!

A decent hike that changes from deciduous first to bamboo forest. Plenty of shade and crosses a few waterfalls along the way. Family friendly hike.

Got there around 930 and it wasn’t crowded at all. We were alone most of the hike. Maybe 6 other people were at the water fall when I got there. By the time we got back people were arriving. There are some areas where you have to cross rocks which were slippery/ in a stream but otherwise pretty easy.

Was one of my favorite waterfall hikes of all time. It was fairly easy and the views leading to the falls were just as amazing. Loved the bamboo forest. A lot of the hike was on a raised platform that was slick. Other than that, it was perfect.

Great trail through a forest with bamboo! Some parts of the track are super built with bars. The final with the impressive waterfall is perfect. Can I recommend to anyone!

This trail was on my bucket list and it did not disappoint! Beautiful shaded hike, bamboo forest with wooden plank paths to walk on which add to the beauty of the mixed terrain. There’s a pretty big banyan tree to rest at, plenty of scenic overlooks to admire the streams and views. And then the giant waterfall at the end, which you have to go past signs that state don’t go further, if u want t get closer. You do have be extremely careful as you will need to cross streams to get there. Definitely was humid, so take water. Also take an energy snack depending on your pace. The description states 4 miles, but we tracked 5.8. I’m sure some of that was the walk from the parking lot and also the extra walk to get closer to the waterfall. Definitely recommend the hike, was absolutely beautiful!

Great trail run after a long car ride. Tough dodging the day hikers in places, but most were very courteous.