Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead

Lahaina Pali Trail from the Ukumehame (West) Trailhead is a 6.9 kilometer out and back trail located near Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.9 km
480 m

Great workout, just need to start early in the morning (try to start by 8) due to the potential for extreme heat. No shade and extremely rocky. Spectacular views.

great hike. great for building legs with all rocks

The trail is rocky with no shade. The trail is lava but solid. I would recommend starting early in the morning. 90 by 11. It was very windy at times, more than 20 mph. Great views.

8am in April with a lot of wind it was dry but not too hot. Easily would be very hot in any other conditions, drank 30 oz of water just to myself. Great views, would be curious to try the whole trail some time.

Started from the West side early April afternoon. Very rocky, very hot and almost no shade. But the views are magnificent!

Good trail, easy to follow. Might as well do hike from one side to other. Fun.

I really like this trail because it's challenging and has lots of vast ocean views (plus the wind turbines at the top). Take your trekking poles if you've got them (it's very uneven and rocky), sun screen and a visor (there is no protection from the sun). Definitely no flip flops. I've seen people quit before reaching the top (about 2 miles) but you can see the turbines at about 1.5 miles, so don't stop short!

great hike, we saw lots of whales. bring sunscreen as there is very little shade.

I would recommend this Trail Awesome views and a great workout Saw whales and dolphins Will do again

I did the whole trail from east to west (and back). The west part (this one) is the nicest - probably not worth doing much more than this. The trail is easy to follow, mostly mild incline. Also, not hard, more like moderate!

Great trail it’s well marked, very rocky. Excellent views up and down the coast even good whale watching

The gorge was gorgeous! And the windmills as well. For the not so good part: I would never take kids to this route. It was rough, mostly hard and rocky (not recommended to folks with knee issues) and not very well marked. At one point we got to a fork which had on one side a pile of small rocks (I guess to block it?), but no sign. When we tried to cross it, we saw that the path was getting very narrow and figured it’s probably not the right way. The signs at the end were worn and one could barely read anything. There’s no shade, so don’t forget the sunscreen and make sure to do it early in the day. It took hubby and I 3h to do the back and forth and we’re both in good shape.

Nice hike. Quickly get up high enough for a clear view of the ocean. Simple scenery but very mystical. I’d definitely recommend more than sneakers. It was raining lightly on and off and portions of the trail were quick slippery and muddy. Didn’t quite get to the windmills because the weather got a little nastier around the last ridge and we decided to turn back. Also, as far as difficulty would rate moderate versus hard. Would recommend.

Bring water, sunscreen and be somewhat in shape to complete this one

Really nice views and good workout, would definitely not recommend doing it on a rainy day.

Bring water and wear sun screen!

Love this trail..... panoramic ocean views for most of it.... Great rocky climb.... 1500 ft elevation gain in a mere 2.35 miles.... I do it in trail runners no prob.... you may wanna utilize a more substantial boot however

Hard core bouldering. Did okay with my heavy treaded vibram five’s. started about 7:30am which gave the ascent some good shade. glad i did, the decent back to the car was hot as sh!t. Enjoying a cider from maui brewing after. Amazing hike.

Great hike...bring water

Hard hike, lots of rock climbing and no shade. Nice view of water but no big view when you get to top. Bring lots of water!!! We ran out

Almost made it all the way. It was a great hike. Definitely needs to be done in the early morning. Loved seeing the windmills so close. If we was here longer I’d do it again and make it all the way

Great Hike with views the entire way. A comfortable 3 hours. Recommend starting in the early morning hours to beat the sun. You are exposed the entire time. We took 2 16oz water bottles and was plenty for us.

Views are ok, being up next to the windmills was unique. The hike is very exposed, no shade. If a hot day take a lot of water, and start early. The hard rating is because it gains 1,500 in two miles, and the heat/exposure. Glad I did it, but no real reason to do it again in the future.

You can’t get better views

I loved this trail. I had assumed it was runnable but it was mainly my chunky rocks with a few runnable sections. I did see a guy running it though. I still loved the experience. Bring more water than you think you will need and start early. There is zero shade. It took me two hours and I hike all the time.

Well used, easy to follow. Very nice view of the ocean. Not hard, moderate with good shoes and good shape.

What a great way to start a day! Hitting the trail by 8 am, we were just a few that morning on this spectacular hike that has a lot of points of view to offer. The hard rating is genuine as there are many sections covered with rolling rocks and sometimes very steep as well. It was hot in the first half so the high winds at the top sections were more than welcome. If rather difficult to run climbing, the descent is just lots of fun (just watch your steps) - it took us less than 2 hours with many stops (Oh and by the way, we met severals police force officers armed and K9 squad looking for thieves hiding in the trail - they just burned out a stolen car in the trail parking lot. Better lock and not let anything valuable)