For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Honolua Bay Access Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and surfing and is accessible year-round.

Length 0.6 mi Elevation gain 75 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (46)
Recordings (47)
Completed (238)
Taylor Hippler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

Short walk to the beach through a rainforest with some really cool greenery and wild chickens. The beach is rocky, no sand, but we went there for snorkeling which was really cool. We saw a few sea turtles there and some vibrant colored fish. A few people further out said they saw a dolphin.

Kelsey Manglallan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

Beautiful greenery

Rowena Pegg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Nice relaxing short trail and a cove to relax in

View Rowena's Recording
guy deslauriers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 11, 2020

très courte traversée dune jolie forêt en direction de la plage

Mark Conners
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 10, 2020
Hiking

Cool short jungle walk to the bay. Nice rocky beach great for snorkelling and watching surfers.

Samuel Jensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 25, 2020
Hiking

Short walk to beach and bay. Nothing special

Scott Van Dyke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 6, 2020
Hiking

Short walk through gorgeous trees. Rocky bay, good snorkeling. Limited parking.

View Scott's Recording
mario blackwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2019
Hiking

Basically a walk in the park. Wheel chair accessible on buffed out trail. Beach is lame and full of rocks. There is no sand period. Suppose to be a good snorkeling spot but it was blown out the day we were there. It’s something to checkout if your in the area.

Cody Seymour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 1, 2019
Hiking

Not so much a trail as a nice, short walk to Honolua Bay. Find a good spot off the side of the road, trek through the gorgeous forest and fight the chickens (and crowds) to enjoy some pretty solid snorkeling in the bay.

Tammi K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 27, 2019
Hiking

Easy trail. Beautiful short walk. No elevation. Opens to a beautiful bay. We went back and got our snorkel gear!

View Tammi's Recording
Jon Chastek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 18, 2019
Hiking

Short hike, but beautiful and surreal.

Mike Everson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2019
Hiking

Easy pretty level small bike. Beach is rocky (so bring some good shoes to find a place to settle if going to snorkel). Great place to snorkel and see some amazing, colorful fish. Hear you can see turtles but didn’t see any this time but did see a ruddy orange eel. Nice place!

Ian Rogers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2019
Hiking

Short but beautiful walk to the bay. We'll be bringing the snorkel gear next time.

Kyle Windsor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2019
Hiking

Great short hike to the water. One of the best places to go snorkeling.

View Kyle's Recording
Cheryl Wilkes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2019
Hiking

The trail was lush with exotic trees. at the end you can cool off at the coast and snorkel.

N G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2019
Hiking

best snorkeling in all of maui especially to see turtles!!

Kathryn Lindsay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trees almost like the movie Avatar! Easy hike in to the beach! Worth it for a quickie photo op!

View Kathryn's Recording
Kelly Lira
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2019
Hiking

This area is so beautiful! The foliage is amazing! It is a very short hike, only wish it was longer! A must see!

Marc Dagher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 3, 2019
Hiking

Nothing exciting about the trail itself but leads to Honolua Bay for great snorkeling.

View Marc's Recording
Dale M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2018
Walking

Yesterday the beach was effectively closed for all activities except for surfing. Local park person stated the sharks come into the bay whenever it is brown due to rain runoff. And it sure was brown in the whole bay. I don't think you would have seen your hands on front of your face. There were a lot of papayas on the trees heading to the beach. Just need to learn how to climb those trees!

Melissa W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 10, 2018

This is a nature walk through a tropical area. There are many vines, beautiful trees, and tons of chickens! I enjoyed the walk very much.

Madisyn Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2018

Today something happened that left me completely speechless, devastated, and in tears. I could not believe it today when I was taking my friends, who are in town, to see the Honolua Bay jungle to find that it was destroyed. There was nothing left but the piercing skeleton of what it once was; of what I once loved. As I walked in the usual opening I began to comment and notice that the foliage was greatly cut apart and the trees were cleared back and the sunshine was beaming in like never before. I could not grasp what was happening until I was able to see through, the former dense and abundant forest, straight to the other side. I then found myself in a graveyard of chopped apart trees thrown about to create a shoddy path to the bay. I have spent countless hours in this forest climbing and hammocking in its ancient trees, swinging from vines while reenacting Tarzan, snorkeling in the beautiful bay, and wandering around like a lost boy in Neverland. The magic was gone, the green glow through the jungle’s once dense leaves was faded, and my hope was lost. That jungle brought me so much happiness, joy, and peace. I consider this a death and have been mourning the loss all day. I could not bare to take a picture nor even spend much time in there today because I was so deeply hurt. It is ridiculous to see, first hand, what we are doing to nature. Whether we realize it or not we are all taking part in destroying the earth. We buy plastic, drive cars, kill animals, use paper and furniture without putting much thought into the origin or the result of its being... but those are just a few broad examples. I will never forget this jungle, I have never cried because a tree got cut down, but this is seriously so so wrong. I loved that place. This is the first place I explored when I visited Maui in 2016, this is the first place I came back to when I moved here in 2017, this is the first place I bring anyone who is visiting, this place is my go-to and so very special to me and now it’s nearly gone. I absolutely cannot believe or fathom why or how this could have possibly happened but I am so disappointed and heartbroken.

Jennifer Hernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2018

Super easy walk. Not much of a hike. But kids any age could easily do this. Ends at the beach. Guess lots of people scuba dive there but no one could enter water today as sharks were swimming nearby. Amazing to see sharks. Kids loved all the chickens and baby chicks along the walk.

Jennifer Oakley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2018
Walking

Very easy walk to the bay. Kid friendly. Beautiful views.

Kim Davidge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2018

Not a hike but a beautiful walk to the bay. Absolutely gorgeous and a must see.

kelly baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2018
Hiking

This is the most magical trail! I loved every, beautiful step of it! Just stunning!

Torsten M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 7, 2018

Beautiful trees down here.

Yann Le Bihan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 23, 2018

Beautiful trees!