Okolehao Trail to Hihimanu Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length5.5 miElevation gain2,398 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsForestViewswild-flowersWildlifeMuddyRockyScramble
Description

Photos (488)
Recordings (81)
Completed (166)
Jordan Rohrlich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 21, 2021
Hiking

SO WET. Beautiful views though, and requires a sense of adventure

View Jordan's Recording
isaac pyzik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 12, 2021
Hiking

Brutal. Was dry enough to do up/down barefoot. Definitely wouldn't ever attempt trail after any kind of rain, even with shoes. At certain points literally scaling mud/rockwalls.

View isaac's Recording
Daniel Skoldberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 3, 2021
HikingMuddy

Best strawberry guavas I ever tasted. Hike was f$@kin gnarrrly. I went after a week of little to no rain so the mud wasn’t horrrible. The only time I feared for my life was this 85 degree rope climb with at LEAST a 30 ft drop. The rope was suuuper slick and I almost freaked out, so, I think bringing gloves would’ve helped during that section. Going down was even gnarlier, I pretty much slid on my ass and wrapped the rope around my forearm, inching down and re-wrapping again and again. There was a moment climbing up where I thought to myself “this is the best day of my life”. So, yah, I’d say it was worth it.

Samuel Alfiler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 1, 2021
HikingBugsGreat!Muddy

This hike is no joke. It’s the hardest hike I’ve ever done, by far. Took us 6+ hours and we were going as fast as we could. Pushed me past my physical limits

View Samuel's Recording
jimmy dean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 30, 2020
Hiking

Most technical hike I've ever done. Don't even try This hike if you have stability issues, are afraid of heights, aren't in pretty decent shape, or have low upper body strength as you won't make it. This was about a 6 1/2 hr hike for me, maybe more. Total time from the lot and back was 7hr 45 min for a couple small breaks, photos, and some time at the top. First time I've ever used a walking stick and it was much needed. Spiders weave up this oath every night, the bushes are brutal, and the mud is slippery clay. It works well for all these things. Wish I grabbed gloves and wore pants as others had suggested. When the trail narrows for the 2nd and more technical part, the trail is crossed crossed with ferns that have thorns on them and shred your legs. I lost count around 27 ropes, but there were over 30. The view is astounding from the top and so glad I pulled it off, but I don't know that I'll ever do it again, and only know of a few guys I would even consider taking. If you get caught in rain on the back section, I would think It would be an absolutely harrowing effort. I'd be scared honestly. 2 large water bottles did it for me, but was just enough. Likely 64oz was what I carried, and I swear my rear off and I'm not a sweaty guy. This, was an adventure, not a hike. Glad I made it home to my wife and kids

View jimmy's Recording
Peter Munch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 9, 2020

Hard trail for sure. Very muddy and very slippery. I made it 95% up and heavy rain set in. Brutal descend. Dangerous even with excellent trail shoes. Bring: gloves (for holding on to plants for support), rain garb, poles, long pants, gaitors to keep rain out of shoes, sun hat, plenty of water 2-3 liters, extra socks headlamp, extra batteries and extra shirt. My view wasn’t the best from top since a cloud hung over the peak all day. I checked 2 different weather reports and nothing caught the heavy rain that started when I was close to summit. Beware - be prepared for a difficult hike.

Tobey Mandel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 6, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRockyScramble

Do able but need an adventurous spirit. I personally found it scary and challenging, but others on the hike loved it. Definitely steep and slippery and you need good balance and ideally gloves and long pants. Try to go when it’s dry, and start early as it took us 7 hours total. Good luck!

Marc Esser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 30, 2020
Hiking

Incredibly difficult and dangerous even for experienced, fit hikers. Slippery, muddy, steep. Bring gloves. Recommend poles. Don't be surprised if you find yourself doing some of the ascends on all fours esp if you're a bit afraid of heights or have mediocre balance. Bring way more water than you think you'll need. Beat done with a buddy. Apparently people die on this trail and I am not surprised.

View Marc's Recording
Joy Cho
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 23, 2020
Hiking

Did this hike with a few friends a month ago, oct 30. Super steep, slick and muddy in spots, lots of prickly bush near the top, and insane 360 views. Snacked on strawberry guava growing on the trail the whole way up. Took us 6 hrs return. One of the most technical hikes I’ve done. Amazing hike!!

Eric Schroeder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike. Rained most of the way which made for a wet trail. Proper shoes makes it a lot easier. Prepare to get soaked on rainy days

View Eric's Recording
Clifton David
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2020
Hiking

The last 20% of it was definitely really intense and some of the ropes slick from rain etc but the view at the top was worth it! In terms of it being maintained and things like that basically nothing which keeps it good! If it’s too accesible anyone could do it. I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the ropes (11/15/20). Trill everything !!

Kyle Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 17, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Lots of negative reviews complaining about the mud, overgrowth, ropes, etc. All of these things are commonplace on some of the best hikes Hawaii has to offer. The view at the final peak is a gorgeous 360 degree view. If you stop at Puuki you will be disappointed with the view and miss the most epic part of the hike. -Bring gloves to help you grip the ropes and avoid rope burn. -I'd leave the trekking poles at home - there's too many rope climbs and overgrown areas -Coming down the final section will take longer than going up. Expect this hike to take all day. You need to make it back to the easy section (before the lookout) by sunset. Approach this hike with an adventurous attitude and you'll love it. This is a top 5 hike on this island.

Alexandra Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 8, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

BARELY A TRAIL! I will start by saying the beginning of this hike is really pretty abs has some nice viewpoints of the bay. Going forward after mile two - their really is no trail. The bushes are overgrown and prickly, and most of the way up requires ropes that as usually wet and muddy from the rain. There are also locations that are extremely narrow on both sides. I am a very active person and experienced hiker and this hike took my boyfriend and I (who is also very experienced) 6.5 hours. I fell a few times as well where I couldn’t see my footing and almost fell off the side of the ridge. I am not one to be negative, but I didn’t think the view was worth the struggle - it was just as nice down at the viewpoints on the bottom.

Melody Chantel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020

INTENSE AF! 8 hours!

View Melody's Recording
Nathan Schaefer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

One word for this hike: SKETCHY. This trail is absolutely crazy! I did it solo in Oct. 2019. I was only planning on going to the first bench (which was super easy to what was to come) but I remembered reading one of the reviews that another trail began from there so I just kept on hiking. I would consider myself very agile and athletic with high stamina. I wouldn't say I was ever hanging on for dear life physically but the mental aspect of being up there alone 20 rope-climbs in, with 20 to go and then all the way back, raining, and no one around is terrifying. I brought 4 16oz water bottles and easily could have drank 3x that. I was rationing water the whole way up and left one for the way down. The whole time up, I kept thinking to myself "I can't think of a single friend I would feel comfortable doing this hike with. They would all think its crazy" That being said, I would only do it again with someone else that I really believed in. Basically a really long and fun obstacle course of crawling over and under boulders and logs on a ridge with drop offs and a ton of rope climbs.

Andrea C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
View Andrea's Recording