Learn more

Na Pali Coast (Kalalau) Trail is a 22 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 22.0 mi Elevation gain 6,177 ft Route type Out & Back

Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Advance reservations are now required for all visitors (except state of Hawaiʻi residents). Limited overnight parking is available with a valid overnight camping permit; otherwise you must pre-book a shuttle or private pickup when camping overnight. Please see state park website for reservations and information https://www.gohaena.com/. The island of Kauai is called the Garden Isle for many reasons. Many of which will become apparent as you hike through the jungle on your way through the Na Pali coast. The hike begins at Ke'e beach, at the end of the road on Kauai's North shore. You immediately begin climbing up and old trail, build with paving stones, but somewhat slippery and crumbling. Long legs are a bonus here, as well as excellent grip on your hiking boots. The hike heads up and along the edge of the hills, very close to the ocean. There are great views of the Pacific here, as well as majestic jungle mountain views.

Squeeze in on the narrow roadway shoulders or on the many roadside pull overs, parks and overlooks.

Hawai'i Department of Land and Natural Resources: (808)587-0166

Use caution while hiking as the trail is dangerously steep and narrow. Hike with a buddy. Permit required to camp.

Drive to the end of the highway on Kauai's Northwest shore. You will find parking at Ke'e beach, and the trailhead is off of the parking lot, about 20 yards from the beach.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (648)
Photos (1972)
Recordings (335)
Completed (1406)
Shannon Bremner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBridge out

We’ve hiked this trail 3 times throughout the past 3 year and we LOVE it! We thought the new shuttle system was going to be a drag but it was actually really nice! When we went in December of 2019 we couldn’t make it past the river (2 miles in) but that’s okay because we think the best view is the Nepali Coast (1.5 miles in) The waterfall (4 miles in) is an amazing view but should not be attempted to people that are unfit.

Lauren Elford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Lauren's Recording
Amy Shelton Ritchey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020

Best. Hike. Ever.

Matthew Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

What an adventure! I was supposed to do this hike with a few buddies from the mainland, but COVID screwed that up. With me being on Oahu and since inter island travel opened up, I decided to do this solo. It was an amazing hike. The trail was great, offering a challenge as well as knock out views. The beach was breathtaking with the rugged cliffs and isolated stretch of sand. The sea cave was really neat and the valley with its agriculture terraces was really interesting. I saw goats every day, a monk seal, sea birds, some big sand crabs, and there was a ton of fruit in the valley. The weather was great. It rained the first couple days, but it’s Kauai, so it’s going to be wet at times. Day 1 flew in, a guy I found online picked me up from the airport and had fuel for my camp stove and water to get me started. (Didn’t really need the water because there are so many streak crossings just bring a filter). Got to the trailhead around 1200 and started hiking at 1230. Hiked to Hanakoa arriving after approximately 1630 camp for the night. 6 miles Day 2 Hiked to kalalau beach leaving at 8 and arriving about 1130 (5 miles). Set up camp and explored the beach and sea caves. Read until sunset. Day 3 Walked the beach again. Hiked the Kalalau Valley trail and explored the agriculture terraces from the ancient Hawaiians (4 miles). Walked the beach again and say a read until sunset. Day 4 Walked the beach again for the last time. Hiked from Kalalau back to Hanakoa. Camped for the night. Day 5 Hiked out and was picked up by the same gentlemen who took me to my hotel. Day 6 Tomorrow I fly back. It truly was an adventure and a once-in-a-lifetime trip. It has been on my bucket list for years and I’m happy to have had the experience to complete it.

Alex Wright
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Weather was perfect - didn't rain on us the whole trail in or out. All creek crossings were manageable. Plenty of camping available at the end. Parking at Haena SP was a pain - no parking permits were available for reservation, so we got a ride with North Shore Cab co (would definitely recommend if you don't have other options) to and from the trailhead, which ended up working out well. Filtered water at multiple streams along the hike to avoid carrying lots of water throughout the hike. Our permit was checked at the beginning and end of the hike by staff on-site at Haena SP.

Eric Howard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

Wonderful hike. A lot of washouts especially leading into crawlers ledge. Worth the effort in the end.

View Eric's Recording
Aleks Schillmoeller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

My boyfriend and I did the entire trail in one-day the last weekend of June. I DO NOT recommend doing it this way but we were limited on our gear and time on Kauai. We did the 11 miles out in 5 hours, spent 45 minutes in Kalalau, and back out in 5 hours. We power walked the first 4 miles in, and ran mile 17 and 18 on the way out. We parked at Haena Beach Park and walked the extra mile in for free parking! Due to a last minute hike, we risked it without a permit. We were lucky and no one checked but I think this may have been because of Covid. We arrived at the trailhead at 7:30am. Unfortunately we got delayed for 2 hours because a 40-yr old man died on the trail on Mile 1 at that time and medics showed up. I think it is still unknown his cause of death but I heard it might have been a pre-existing heart condition. Nonetheless this trail requires physical strength. We didn’t end up on the trail until 9:30qm. We zoomed through the first 4 miles and then started to get tired. Got to the beach at 2:15pm and hung out for 45 minutes. We refilled our water at the stream in the valley. Locals told us we could refill without any iodine or filtration and we did! No issues/no one got sick. We each drank 3L of water on the way in and way out. Miles 11-17 were okay on the way back but then our legs and feet started to feel it. Just intense fatigue and pain! Due to our 2 hour delay at the beginning, we were worried about making the mile 20 stream crossing before sunset and trail ran miles 17 and 18. We made it over the last stream crossing in time. We hit last light on mile 21 and had to use our cell phone flash lights on the last mile down. We hit the trail head at 8pm. Rinsed off at the showers and walked the 1 mile back to Haena beach park, this time on the road. My feet were blisters galore! If you plan to do the hike in one day, I recommend bringing extra sweat wicking socks. Sunscreen is a must. Water! But know you can refill at the end or bring your own iodine, etc. We don’t like using poles and usually just scramble with our hands but everyone else loves them. Also should mention that I’m a professional dancer and yoga + pilates instructor. My boyfriend is a former long distance runner. We are definitely advanced hikers. However we did not feel that this hike was as advanced as many of the ridge hikes we frequently take on Oahu where we live. That being said, it’s not for the faint of heart. Aloha!

Ashley Croughan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 6, 2020

Hiked this in the pouring rain, it was an amazing experience!! Wear shoes with good traction!

Jenny Bello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 5, 2020
HikingOff trail

I went with a local on an off trail hike and the views are pretty freakin epic. It’s sooooo steep though. One wrong move and you’re done, so if you’ve got not fear find yourself a local who knows the land. My guy was 75 at the time and did the hike barefoot. The OG of the island

redge fuentes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 28, 2020
Hiking

Incredible experience and breathtaking views left and right throughout the whole journey! What a memorable experience hiking kalalau trail. Would definitely keep coming back. So much worth the long journey.

chadd W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2020
Hiking

One of my favorite Kauai trails. Killer hike with great elevation gains, incredible views and the “pot of gold at the end of the rainbow,” Kalalau beach. No cell phone service, no vehicle access...a real experience.

kent eudy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 15, 2020
Hiking

Fantastic views from the trail. Very muddy in spots, but not as bad as the Waimea Canyon hikes (especially Nu’alolo). We did this hike 5 years ago and the parking and loitering around Ke’e beach was a disaster. The new process of requiring hiking and parking permits has really cleaned things up. The new parking lot and shuttle service was a great idea! The overall experience is now excellent!

Jeff N.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 5, 2020
HikingMuddyScramble

Super muddy throughout most of it and stream crossings are high but doable. You’ll be muddy and wet the whole time, but will also have a big grin and amazing views most of the way. Crawlers ledge and a couple other small spots seem like class 3-4 scrambles and are not for the faint of heart. Sturdy trekking poles recommended as well.

View Jeff's Recording
Damiem Chamness
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 28, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Damiem's Recording
Jared Grant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 25, 2020
BackpackingMuddy

completed the trail on Feb 19-20. absolutely amazing views and trail the whole way. we hiked the full 11 miles in one day with overnight packs and it took us 8 hours. I would definitely recommend getting and overnight parking permit and starting early. parts of the trail were very muddy, but very doable. crawlers ledge was not nearly as bad as we'd thought. Good grip the whole way as long as you have a head for exposure.

Katie Becker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 23, 2020
HikingBugsFloodedMuddyScramble

The trail is absolutely worth the trek. We lucked out with weather and it was worth getting up at first light and hitting each step of the way. After the first two miles it gets tighter and more dangerous (especially if you’ve had rain). Bring extra hydration supplements for your water. We went all the way in the first day, stayed two nights at the end. Came back half way and camped at the other designated camp spot by the waterfall before finishing the last 6 miles the last day. Take your time to enjoy the sites... it’s so stunning.

Douglas Sears
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 19, 2020
Hiking

Rank this trail VERY high on my list of favorites. If time and authorities allowed, we coulda spent all in this beautiful place

Elisabeth Schutza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 18, 2020
HikingMuddy

Gorgeous! I can’t emphasize enough how muddy this trail was at this time of year. 100% use poles. You will get muddy, no avoiding it, but there’s lots of streams to rinse off in. I would recommend 3-4 days. While 11miles doesn’t sound like much, this trail took a lot longer than expected. We camped at mile six the first night and then went to the beach at mile 11 and back to mile six day two, then hiked our day three. Lots of brush along the way that might irritate your legs, and there were bugs , but definitely worth it. A permit is required, and they did check. Beautiful hike.

Lyndsey Riess
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 16, 2020

I hit both waterfalls and hiked this trail in one day, and I'd HIGHLY suggest no one ever do the same! the extra 5+ miles and incline were definitely felt towards the end of the hike. I easily did close to 30 miles that day. My friend ended up getting separated from me (on purpose) and she ended up having to spend the night at mile 2.25 mark since it was raining and the stream was too strong to cross, so I'd recommend checking the weather and if it is due to rain at any point of your trip, then I'd recommend not spending the night because there is a high possibility of you also getting stuck. The hike is beautiful and definitely one for the books!

Steve Reeve
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 8, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown