Learn more

Kalepa Ridge Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kekaha, Kauai, Hawaii that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Length 1.9 mi Elevation gain 610 ft Route type Out & Back

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Note: There is a $5 fee to park at the trailhead. This is an unauthorized trail. It is an access route for local hunters. Hike at your own risk. Difficult trail along Kalepa Ridge above the Kalalau Valley in Kokee St. This park features spectacular views.

Trail starts at the Kalalau Lookout in Kokee State Park on Kauai; from the left side of the viewing platform, go to the end of the chain link fence and walk along it to enter the trail in front of the platform. The trail starts here. Kalalau Lookout location: http://www.hawaii-guide.com/images/hso_gallery/kauai_photos/kauai_maps/kauai_Kokee_Trails.jpg Additional references: http://www.hawaii-guide.com/kauai/hiking_trails/kokee_and_waimea_state_park_hiking_trails

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (440)
Photos (339)
Recordings (234)
Completed (718)
Larissa Rossen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
Hiking

This was a spectacular hike. Definitely not “hard”. I had a Caesarean section 3 months ago and managed fine. I think what makes it hard is there are a few sections of the trail with exposed edges, so that made my skin crawl a little! We went down last night and the clouds cleared for the most spectacular views. When we got down the end the mist socked us in and made for a nice cool walk back. Definitely recommend. Took us 30 mins to walk back up.

Mike Cobb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
Hiking

Good hike, don’t be discouraged about clouds when you initially start, it’s Kauai, the clouds move so quick by the time we got to the end it was a gorgeous unobstructed view.

View Mike's Recording
Kyle Luken
Hiking

Absolutely amazing views. Started the trail at 9am and it was pretty socked in with clouds. Clouds started to break about a quarter of the way through and the views were perfect for the rest of the hike. Trail was dry, so it wasn’t bad at all (but I can see how it would be hard if it were muddy and slick). Had my 9 month old in an ergo baby on my chest; if you’re in decent shape it’s definitely doable and worth it!

View Kyle's Recording
Laura Ivanova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 06 2020
Hiking

AMAZING!! I love this trail! I don’t agree with the hard rating. On a dry day it’s very easy and barely any elevation gain. Views are spectacular! Well worth the drive to get out here. IG: @pieandthesky

biri biri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 23 2020
Hiking

Truly spectacular views, trail didn't feel unsafe in dry conditions as long as you're not too afraid of heights.

Jay Mendenhall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 15 2020
HikingMuddy

Agree with previous reviewers...if it’s muddy and/or raining the last part of the hike crossing the ridge can be iffy. It was muddy when we did it and made things interesting at parts. The view at the end was maybe the most beautiful I’ve seen. It was foggy going down but it cleared at end for a spectacular view. Not a long trail so if you want to see a ridge and not spend a half day doing it, I highly recommend.

Morgan Sarkisian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 06 2020
HikingClosedMuddyOver grown
View Morgan's Recording
Daniel Sampson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 05 2020
HikingClosedMuddy

Awesome trail. Long drive to get to it, but the view was well worth it. Not too difficult, not to long. Great for if you want don’t want a hike to eat up the whole day. Wouldn’t recommend if it’s raining as there are steep parts along the cliff that would be dangerous in bad weather.

Raphael Buyo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Feb 24 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

***THE VIEW AT THE END WAS THE MOST AMAZING HIKING PAYOUT I’VE EVER EARNED*** $5 parking fee at the trailhead (Kalalau Lookout), credit card only!! We tried to pay with cash, but there was no one there stationed to monitor entrance payment. Not sure if you’d get a ticket for not having a parking receipt on your dashboard. The trail itself starts to the left of the lookout behind the fence that says “TRAIL CLOSED.” There’s an opening to the left that you could squeeze through. I was initially apprehensive, worried that Hawaiian police were going to jump from the bushes and write me a ticket. I felt more at ease when I saw groups of hikers along the trail headed back from the hike. The trail itself can seem rather precarious as it does take you feet away from the edge of cliffs... good way to get over your fear of heights! Just hope you get the chance to hike this after days of sun and warmth so the trail isn’t super muddy. It would behoove any hiker on Kauai to have proper hiking shoes/clothing that one wouldn’t mind getting dirty and wet with mud. Wouldn’t attempt this myself if it were raining heavily with strong winds.

Melissa Kabacinski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Feb 06 2020
HikingMuddyOff trail

Great trail. If you are adventurous and adrenaline junkies like us then you’ll love it. Let’s just say it was challenging but not impossible. We are two heavy set ladies who did it, and you can too! I’d wear light pants if your skin is sensitive because there are thorny bushes in some areas. Other than that, it was awesome.

Dave Kirslis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 02 2020
Hiking

Please wear hiking boots for this trail. It is short but difficult and if you slip or the wind blows you over the trail that hugs this decaying cliff edge it could easily be fatal. I did the entire napali coast trail the 2 previous days to the day I hike this trail. You can see a good chunk of the end of what I was seeing at the end of the napali trail without having to do the 11 mile trek in.

Nikhil Shukla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jan 29 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailOver grownScramble

Probably the most breathtaking view of the Napali coast outside of taking a heli tour. Don’t attempt in rainy or windy conditions. Some very exposed areas. We finished the round trip in an hour with some picture breaks.

Brady Plett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 28 2020
HikingMuddy

This hike is amazing! The views:effort ratio is one of the best I have ever experienced. My entire family did this hike, including my 50 year old mom and 6 month pregnant sister. It was much harder going down at the start than coming up. There are a few spots with minor exposure, but never on both sides at once. Long pants might be nice some of the brush, it was pretty rough. The view at the end is awesome, but honestly it’s really great all along. If it has rained recently and it’s slippery there are lots of parts that could feel extra sketchy. Good shoes and celebration beers are must haves.

View Brady's Recording
Miki Mir
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jan 27 2020
BugsClosedMuddy

This is the most insane hike I've been on, and also the most dangerous. In terms of terrain, the first 1/4 mile is the hardest because of how steep it is and its a lot of rock and mud. But, it mostly levels out, though there a few more steep areas. There are about 4-5ish very narrow spots on the path, with a couple of them being less than a foot from the edge of the cliff (maybe there used to be more of a buffer, but it's eroding). On these parts, you could easily die if you fell. But it is very do-able. My partner and I took our sweet time on our way down and it took 1.5 hours, and less than an hour on the way back. The views the entire time are breathtaking. I've honestly never seen something so beautiful yet intense. If it's cloudy, some of the views might be covered up, but regardless you should be able to see the Napali coast at the end. I would not attempt if you have any fear of heights. I also would not attempt if it had rained recently because the narrow paths could get even sketchier. Pants are a good idea since there are some very brambley/scratchy parts. It can be dangerous, but be smart about it and take your time if you need to. If you don't feel up to the path, the lookout is worth driving for.

K M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 14 2020
HikingClosedMuddyScramble

Technically trail is closed but easy to go around the fence. There are some sketchy spots for sure and drops off that will kill you if you fall. If you make it all the way down you can see Kalalua beach. So many waterfalls in the distance, views were spectacular, best I have seen on this island. The trail is well maintained.

View K's Recording
Brennah MacNeill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jan 09 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownScramble