Learn more

Hoopii Falls Trail is a 2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Kapaʻa, Kauai, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 200 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This site is open to the public although it is on privately owned land.

Another muddy hike in Kauai in search of a spectacular waterfall. We were slipping and sliding along the trail. Some hikers were bare footed, which I thought was a great idea, but could not muster up the courage to hike without shoes. The last part of the hike was an adventurous scramble down to Hoopii Falls. Bring bug spray and a positive attitude. Please be respectful of the residents in this area. Totally, recommend this hike.

I'm interested in doing this hike as well as haiku stairs. dbgoodfella on IG or bdan870 on snap if interested.

closed
private property

had signs up saying it was private property, no trespassing

private property

The reason the locals are so hostile is that disrespectful hikers have already caused us to lose access to several other nearby waterfalls and swimming holes. Don’t let that happen to Hoopii. If there’s more than 5 cars parked, go do another hike. Parking in someone’s yard, making a mud hole is rude! Wearing bug spray which is poisonous to aquatic life and then swimming is disrespectful to the river. There are so many great places on Kauai that are official trails with much nicer scenery. Remember, it’s not just you. It’s 1.2 million other people every year!!!

There is a sign saying it’s closed but it was put up by a local. Went this morning and saw many people hiking. Super muddy, you’ll need good shoes. There are two waterfalls keep going until you get to the second one!

private property

Hiked this trail March 22nd, 2020. A local yelled at us as we were going in, there were signs at the entrance to the trail saying No Trespassing that someone had put up (signs were not there only days prior). It is private property but had always been allowed for public use as long as visitors stayed on trails. That being said, we ended up going anyways as there were several people before us entering as well (locals and nonlocals alike). We loved it and would probably have to say that it was our most memorable hike by far in so many ways. Lots of bugs. Bring bug spray. MUDDY. You may slip. You may fall. You WILL get very dirty. But it added to the fun. The trail itself was easy except for the slippery spots and mud everywhere. Got to the top of the second falls and we had heard there was a way down to the rope swing at the bottom. If you backtrack a little bit, maybe like 75 yards and then turn onto a narrow trail on the side you will make your way around and then you have to climb down a steeper area that has lots of branches. Once you start climbing down keep to the left side until you make your way all the way to the bottom of the waterfall. It was fun to swim in the river there and my little brothers (age 7-14) swam in and even played with the rope swing. Beautiful photo op. Sad to say our experience was almost ruined because when we got back we spotted that someone had left bags of dog poop on the windshields of hikers cars. I don't know about being able to hike for the time being but I hope one day it'll be a welcoming place to visit again. Was still worth it.

There is a sign that says closed. A local said it was dangerous but I think people want visitors to leave so we didn’t actually go on the trail out of respect. Figured I’d give people a head’s up.

We hiked this trail March 5, 2020. Extremely muddy which lead to a slower walk. Stay close to the river rather than the upper trail to avoid mud. Hiking poles a must. Your shoes will be totally mud covered. Standing on top of the big falls (second falls) was awesome! Well worth it!

Fun little hike. Very muddy. We went bare foot because we didn’t want our shoes ruined. The second falls is definitely more scenic.

recorded Recording - Mar 22, 01:31 PM

private property

Mud, mud and more mud but totally worth it! I got covered in mud and slipped in a few times but I just laughed it off and enjoyed the adventure! Swimming in the falls at the end is totally worth it. The jungle type setting feels like you're in the middle of Jurassic Park and I had a blast! Just make sure you have good hiking shoes that you're not afraid to get super muddy and enjoy the adventure! My suunto clocked 2.54 miles to the falls and back.

The waterfall is great but not sure its worth going through the muddy condition. It’s muddy almost all the way there. We were hiking with my in laws and they are not having a good time... it was so slippery and they almost fell a few times.

Definitely would recommend! It’s a bit buggy and muddy but well worth it for the waterfall at the end! You can take the path by the riverside to avoid some mud and enjoy both falls! Would go again (with bug spray)