Honopu Ridge

Honopu Ridge is a 7.1 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wainiha, Kauai, Hawaii that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.1 km Elevation Gain: 487 m Route Type: Out & Back

This trail has not been mantained for years, but volunteers have helped clear the trail. Wear long pants, ensure that you're well protected. There were pig hunters on the trail as well. It's well worth the hike.

The trail conditions were the hardest part of this trek. It had been dry and not as slick as people have said below, but the overgrown brambles and ferns made it tough going. The view at the end is incredible. We got lucky wit a clear day. If it was better maintained it would be 5 stars.

Light traffic. I do rate this trail as hard, not for the length and elevation, but for the trail condition. Recommend pants, leggings, gators or similar. Gorgeous views of the Nepali coast and towards the end along the ridge.

We named this hike Beauty and the Beast! The views are stunning but the hike is beastly. I’m not going to repeat what everyone else has stated in their reviews about the vegetation and terrain (please read up on this trail and learn from other’s experiences). We were blessed with great weather...overcast and dry. The clouds opened up for us at just the right times. I cannot imagine completing this hike within one or two days after a rain or in the rain. Don’t chance it with the weather. Most of the pain and suffering comes on the hike back but the views were worth it. Take more water than you think you’ll need. I would NOT recommend taking children younger than 16 yrs old on this hike. There are many narrow, exposed 3,000 ft. high ledges that will not tolerate any missteps. Enjoy this rare experience!

The worst problem I ran into was on my way back. No more than a half mile from the trail head, I think I was just on autopilot, wasn’t paying attention, and got lost. I started following these blue flags on trees, mixed in with orange and purple flags too, but then realized they must have been marks on trees for a study or something, because suddenly they were just everywhere and not marking any trail. I tried to go back to where I must have veered off but couldn’t even figure that out.... luckily I had this app and the gps on my phone still worked so I was able to find my way back okay but for a second I was pretty scared! (I don’t blame the trail for this, was probably my own fault, just posting as a heads up.) I didn’t think this trail was hard, at least for physical challenge. I also wore shorts and a tank top and, got scratched by the ferns a bit but was fine. Maybe a bit hazardous at the end because of the cliffs and crumbly rock - be careful! Past the end of the trail marked on this app you can go further but I didn’t go too much further when it got too sketchy and turned around. Wouldn’t recommend going farther, views are good enough where the trail ends on this app.

Difficult as rated. Not clear path to follow at the beginning. Not well maintained, but doable. VERY IMPORTANT, wear long sleeves and pants. You will regret if you don't. But the vista at the end of the trail, STUNNING.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE KIDS ON THIS TRAIL. Watch the weather! if rain is in the forecast, this trail will be very dangerous! the ferns you hike through are about 5 feet tall and are not cut back so they do scratch. I wore shorts and my legs look like I have cat scratches all over them and even my shoulders and arms. I am 5'11 and some hit my face. The last half of the hike is on the ridges with maybe a foot wide footing and very loose dirt. we slid multiple times in the dry weather. we made it to the end which is all dirt and loose gravel(we got bored and made a stacked rock formation lol)...unfortunately the cloud cover was so thick we couldnt see no more than 20 feet in front of us(picture of me at the end sadly pouting and dissappointed). Very disappointed to Go that far and see nothing but white lol although about half way through we caught a break in the clouds and was able to see a little ways down the ridge and the coastline. the hike back out was brutal and straight up. I literally crawled at some points lol this trail by far is the hardest we have been on and we are TN mtn hikers. I wouldnt recommend this trail for the unfit, children or for people with knee issues as it is rough on the knees. Side note...beware of bees. we had a swarm come at us and had to run up the ridge. Def wasn't prepared for that! overall, we would hike this trail again but go earlier in the day and wear hiking boots and pants lol the trail is challenging and exhilarating with amazing views! Everything a true hikers heart desires!

My husband and I started this trail at 6 am so it was a little drizzly and dark. would not reccomend beginners to do this. The beginning of the trail can be confusing especially in the dark, just make sure to follow the GPS and map. we wore caprees and shorts and the did not manage to save our legs from the gnarly ferns so wear pants. If the trail is not 100% dry it will be very slick. But overall the rewards were breathe taking!! Would love to do this hike again someday and watch the sunset.

Make sure you take the left turn up the hill about 200m in. Trail is a bit slippery, so a good trail runner or boot is recommended. Get started early if you want the views; the clouds rolled in at around 930 and covered the last half mile of the ridge.

I would recommend this trail to anyone who is up for a challenge. The hike itself is nothing spectacular until you get to the ridge and you can see the Nepali Coast line. Some of the most beautiful views at the end! depending on what path you end up taking some of the trail is not well groomed. through the woods there a lot of trees to climb over and under. Definitely worth the hike!

Amazing!!! Not hard to follow, like some folks wrote, when in doubt go left. Be careful many spots are clay mud and sliding is for real. Bring plenty of water and snacks it’s a tough climb back out. Be safe and enjoy

A great hike, mixed terrain but mainly forest and then open shrub followed by ridge. I did this one day after it rained, and so quite muddy. Managed to lose the trail quite early on, the waymarker ribbons do seem to disappear after a while. Once out of the forest it’s an easy trail to follow. End of the trail views were amazing. Read lots of comments about scratches on legs - I wore shorts and T-shirt and was fine. Enjoy!

Epic hike with gorgeous views of the Kalalau and Honapu valleys. At the very end your treated to views of Honapu beach and the Na Pali coast 4000 feet down. Worth it for sure. That said, I would definitely rate this trail as difficult due to the nearly 1700 foot climb on the way back, much of which is along the exposed ridge in the sun. I underestimated that portion of the hike and struggled a bit on the way out, needing more breaks than usual, although I have admittedly fallen a little out of shape and haven’t hiked since last fall. Normally I would probably rate it on the moderate side of difficult. My 14-year-old had no problems at all but he is tough as nails and has a motor that doesn’t quit. Consider the difficulty if you want to bring children. Bring a bottle or two of water more than you think you need, especially on a hot sunny day. A protein snack to eat at the end of the trail while enjoying the view before starting your climb out is a good idea. Know your limitations. If climbing nearly 1700 feet in the sun after already putting in almost 4 and a half miles sounds like something you may struggle with, give yourself more time and plan accordingly. You’re not going to hike this in three hours or less if you are not an experienced hiker and in pretty good shape. For some it may take 4 to 5 hours so be aware of when it gets dark and start early enough. The trail is fairly easy to follow, not as difficult as I read. That said, I found the directions in the Kaua’i revealed app to be helpful in finding the trail head and staying on the path in the first couple miles where there are ways to get off the path. I highly recommend the app (or book) to anyone visiting Kaua’i for the first or second time. When coming to a split in the trail, take the most worn path and look for sticks and logs placed by prior hikers blocking the wrong way. My last bit of advice is to wear pants. The half dead and dried out Hawaiian ferns that line a large portion of the middle part of the trail WILL DEFINITELY scratch your legs some and possibly upper limbs if you’re a shorter person, though I wore short sleeves and came out ok. I’m taller and just put my arms up when walking through those parts. If you have pants that zip off into shorts, those would be ideal. That’s what I wore and I was glad I did. Enjoy the hike and views in the most beautiful part of most beautiful place in the United States. Aloha!

Nice trail with stunning views. Follow the red markers, not the blue ones and use the app to check for the correct route.

All uphill on the way back.

Way cool hike. You're in the jungle most of the way, but the view at the end is amazing. Not too difficult except for a few steep parts and some high ridges. Consider wearing long pants and maybe a long sleeve shirt, because you hike through quite a bit of narrow foliage with dry, scratchy branches. Not intolerable, but definitely a little unpleasant.

This one is good if you want to avoid the crowds of other trails such as Awa’awapuhi. Pretty good view but the hike is a bit annoying with all the overgrown vegetation :)

The start of this trail is a little confusing as there are several. The way back is easier thanks to the road/cars. It goes some way in the forest, with slick wet muddy slopes. A lot of bushes too, so it can be smart to have long sleeves. Then the view comes, probably 1.5 miles in. As all other ridges around, it's gorgeous! you can see down the napali coast, which you usually cant on other ridge. because of all the slopes, it took me about 2.5 hrs

Started this hike at around 9:15 this morning and it pretty much rained the entire way to the end. It was foggy and there were no views until we got to the end and the sun broke through. The views were spectacular and the Napali coast never gets old. The only reason this trail doesn’t get 5 stars is that it’s extremely overgrown and very difficult to follow. There are many trails leading off of the main trail and the one we originally followed (blue tape) led to nowhere so we just had to bushwhack our way back to the trial. I recommend downloading the map off AllTrails and referencing it frequently to not get lost like we did.

Wow ! Stunning views at the end. Well worth the mud and the slips and slides. If you’re not into getting muddy don’t do it. But if you love adventure this is perfect. I would say difficult rating is well justified due to the muddy nature of the trail and the drastic inclines and declines. Be sure to wear light long pants or you will get scratched by overgrown plants.