Hanakapi'ai Falls Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Length8.2 miElevation gain1,919 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingBeachForestRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeMuddyOver grownRockyNo dogs
Description
Waypoints (4)
Contact
Tips

Advance reservations are now required for all visitors (except state of Hawaiʻi residents). Please see state park website for reservations and information https://www.gohaena.com/ The first 2 miles is a moderate hike to Hanakapiai Beach. From there it is another 2 strenuous miles to the falls. The trail is very muddy and slippery during the first mile. Hollywood is a big fan of this Hawaiian island's spectacular landscape, which is why it's a popular filming location for movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park. Like most trails on Kauai, the route up to the falls is quite rugged and usually quite slippery. This route should not be attempted during or immediately after a heavy rainfall.

• Arrive early at the trailhead to guarantee a parking spot. • Permits are no longer required to hike this trail, contrary to what you may read in older guidebooks. • Permits are only required to hike the Kalalau Trail beyond the Hanakapi'ai valley which is not part of our hike. • The hike route is prone to flash flooding, so be aware of the weather forecast and do not attempt the hike under threat of rain. • As with all Hawaii hikes we recommend footwear with good grip, since the terrain can get muddy and slippery.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1,095)
Photos (1,947)
Activities (797)
Completed (2,389)
Samyukta Sethuraman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 5, 2021

Looking for permits for 2 people, 1 car between 5/31 and 6/4. My husband and I want to do this hike before we have kids and this might be our last chance. Please email me at samyuktasethuraman[at]gmail.com if you have permits available. Thanks!

Kamie Prestwich
Hiking

Hey everyone! I'm looking for a 1 day parking & entry permit for 2 people any day 6/7/21 - 6/10/21. Please contact me at 801-372-4218 or kamielprestwich@gmail.com if you have one available!

Sandra Munoz
Hiking

2+ permits needed for any day between June 13th-18th. Please email sanj.munozz@gmail.com if you’re looking to sell. First time going to Hawaii and would love to experience this!

Neha Reddy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 4, 2021
Hiking

Hi everyone! Also looking for a single day permit anytime between May 9th-12th. I know it's last minute but it would be much appreciated. Coming from Oregon for the first time. Please email me at nehared13@gmail.com. Thank you!

Sophie Lamb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2021
Hiking

Trail to the waterfall is not marked at all so got lost 6 times. Waterfall was beautiful but we see ones like this all the time in oregon. Probably shoulda sold our passes honestly

Daniel Riley
Hiking

Looking for a single day permit (not overnight) for may 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 please text or call 781 367 1048 or 802 522 2521 if you’re no longer in need of yours. Would LOVE to do this trail since it was closed the last time we were here in 2019. Thank you!

Rheanna Nelson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2021
Hiking

Hi everyone!! I am looking to hike this trail on Sunday, 5/16/21 (or anytime during May 16th-19th) - if anyone would be willing to share their permit just to get into the park please contact me at (818) 450-6068. Your kindness is appreciated and your next round of drinks will be on me! Happy hiking! :)

Jigar Shah
HikingGreat!

Hi all! Im looking to day hike this if anyone has a permit they aren’t using or wouldn’t mind allowing my friend and I tagging along with your permit (just to get in) we’re flexible from 5/2 - 5/7! Number is 4698357711.

Lindsay Lewicki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2021
Hiking

Looking for 2 day passes for Tuesday May 11. Text 307-690-8875 if you are unable to use your passes. Thank you!

Jonathan Blanchard
Hiking

If anyone has a spare day use permit for the week of May 2nd-6th please let me know at Jonathan.c.blanchard504@gmail.com. Thanks

Nicole Rasquinha

Looking to buy parking and/or entry permits for May 3, 5 or 6! Please text me at 858-863-3223 if you are selling!!

Ivan Truong
HikingFee

If anyone has a 1 day parking & entry permit for 2 people you're not using, my wife and I are hoping to hike this on our honeymoon on 5/26/2021 or 5/27/2021. Please contact me at princessivansd@gmail.com. Thanks!

Lisa Powell-Niimi
HikingGreat!

Ok - when people keep telling you “keep going, it is only 15 more minutes to the falls.....”. Beautiful hike, slippery, muddy, wet, rocks, etc. I lost my ray-ban sunglasses, if you find them hit me up :) Lisa 480-213-9036

Ben Pflum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 1, 2021

Looking for day passes on either May 8th or 9th for two people. Please reach out if you’re not using your park pass! 954-303-7472

Tyler States
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 1, 2021
HikingMuddy

Beautiful waterfalls - We hiked it on 4/28, I would give it a 5/5 on a clear day, but we got rained on for the majority of the hike which made the trail quite slippery. Also I lost my Maui Jim sunglasses on the trail, so if any1 finds them, please hit me up and I’ll buy you a round of drinks! 916-835-8999

Jackie Pederson

Amazing!

View Jackie's activity
Sonu Ratra

Anyone have a permit for Saturday May 2nd, please text at 4085824950

Kelli Brissette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 30, 2021
Hiking

Looking for 2 day permits anytime between 5/6-5/10 thank you!!! 989-891-7441 kelliannroderick@gmail.com

Richard Tuffs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2021
Hiking

Looking for 4 day permits 5/15 5035750122 thank you!!

Michael Foti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2021
Hiking

Looking for 2 day permits for 5/5. Please text 8144498995. Mahalo!

Eric Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2021
Hiking

Make no mistake .. this hike is super challenging and the last half mile is a bit dangerous if one is not careful .. good hiking shoes are mandatory .. bring ONE hiking pole as well as water shoes for the MULTIPLE stream crossings.. lots of water .. at least two liters.. and you will be rewarded by a 300 foot waterfall and wonderful swimming .. as well as a backdrop of paradise .. an epic adventure not to be missed if you are an avid hiker

Aaron Slodowitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 26, 2021
Hiking

Seeking 2 permits to day hike before May 2nd! 201-575-6939 thanks!!

Madison Brnovich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 24, 2021
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyRocky

This hike was definitely more challenging than expected. The first few miles were easy and full of amazing scenery. It became more difficult after the 2 mile marker. We clocked it at about 9 miles total. You have to cross several streams and do a lot of climbing (on slippery surfaces). Wear shoes with good grip. & make sure to bring a map with you because it can get a little confusing which path to follow and where to cross the streams. The epic views and waterfall made all the work worth it though! It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

Stephanie Seymore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 22, 2021
HikingGreat!MuddyRockyScramble

This was awesome, fun and challenging all together. The trail to the beach is easily followed and the first mile to the waterfall is pretty easy to follow. It gets much tougher the second mile. Look for pink ribbons and stay near the stream. You have 3 major crossings and several smaller ones. We took our boots off and waded through one because the water was high enough that we didn’t want to try jumping. Our way up was reasonably dry but it rained when we were at the falls and for a while on the way down so it was much wetter and muddier on the way down. It took us 1 hour to beach, almost 2 to the waterfalls, 1 hour down and 1+ back (tired) Such a great trail. FYI my gps said it was about 9 miles and even the signs tell you 8 so I’m not sure why this lists it as 7.