Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Waipio Valley Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Waipio Valley Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 6.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Honokaa, Hawaii, Hawaii that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

6.1 km
311 m

beach

partially paved

private property

Wow. Definitely worth the hike. I wish the 4WD vehicles weren’t allowed so that we could avoid the crowds. Can’t beat the views tho...we pet a wild horse!

this app sucks

Amazing views, very steep hike down to an incredible beach!!! The hike up is pretty intense, but worth it!

Hike was intense coming back up but a good hike. Hiking to the waterfall was the better part. However I will complain that people drive their vehicles down there so u constantly have to move off to the side. U get down after a constant downhill which isn’t easy on the knees. Hoping to enjoy a quiet beach with other hikers. Only to find tourist in buses and others who have drove down there to tan and let their barking dogs play fetch. Kinda took away from the peacefulness and accomplishment when it looks like a Jeep dealership down there. Not sure I’d go back. 5 stars for beauty.. 2 stars for environment

Steep very steep. Hike up isn’t to bad especially compared to ( captain cook ) but if your not in very good shape you could try to hitch a ride back up from a local. Valley views are pretty cool but not necessarily my favorite place we visited on the island.

Wear a swimsuit and shoes that you don't mind getting muddy. We took the road to the left of the steep to view the falls. Then walked until we could go no further without trespassing. It was fun to explore, plus we saw a lot of horses in the road. But nothing else to see beyond the clear view of the falls. Going back towards the road to the black sand beach was very muddy. The black and beach is gorgeous and the sand is so soft. if you like to walk barefoot in the sand I suggest bringing a small towel to clean your feet before you put your sneakers back on to hike back up. The steep road down is about 1 mile , but feels like 2 miles going back up. With the humidity and getting waist deep wet to cross to the other side of the black sand beach; I was sweaty once we returned to the Waipio Lookout. I was so glad I had packed a dry pair of clothes to change into in the car. Overall we spent about 3.5 hours hiking and enjoying nature there. So beautiful!

Tips: take lots of water (I drank 6 liters); start early in the morning (I started at 8:45); go West to reach the farthest west of the valley and cross at the sandbar where it is only thigh deep; go east to see Kuluahine Falls—hug the coastline until you reach it (it will go out of view before you get there); take your time going back up to take in the fauna and views and if you’re lucky (like I was) you’ll see wild horses

This place is everything you picture Hawaii to look, smell, and feel like! I’m in shape and a regular hiker, but that hill was very challenging up and down; however, it’s very beautiful and absolutely worth it. Down in the valley is peaceful and gorgeous. Go left at the bottom of the hill for great views of Hi’ilawe Falls at the back of the valley. Do not trespass on anyone’s property, especially the trail that leads to the falls. Come back and take the other fork to the black sand beach. Road down and beach are accessible by foot and 4WD ONLY, but if you want to go down to the far end of the beach, come at low tide so you can cross the freshwater stream by foot. No cars are allowed to ford the stream. Look for 2 waterfalls pouring into the sea, within view of the beach, one on either side. PRO TIP: get there early as day use parking is limited, have suitable footwear, and be prepared for spontaneous downpours!

Great experience- the trail is more of a road, but we hiked down- out to as close to the falls as we could and then back to the beach- over all wonderful- great views and people- would do it again!!

This is the second time I’ve done this hike. It’s very steep going down from the lookout and a lung buster going back up, but it’s a great workout! The valley floor is beautiful territory for exploring with lush tropical forest, a river that meets the sea, and black sand beach. Some drive jeeps down, which is a good way to go if you want more time and energy on the coast.
We hiked Pololu Valley that morning and drove over to do Waipi’o in the late afternoon. Then hit Waimea for dinner!

I had a blast hiking this trail! The hike back up the steep incline was definitely the hardest part. This trail does not allow you to get close to the waterfalls. Myself and some of the other hikers I spoke to were unsure of how close the trail could actually get to the falls. Still beautiful views tho! Much of Waipio Valley is private property, with gates and No Trespassing signs blocking off much of the valley. If you follow the much longer trail into Waimanu Valley (which I did not do this time around) you can explore the whole valley and get right up next to the falls.

I walked about a mile of the trail from Waipio to Waimanu and turned around as it was getting late and I did not have a camping permit. This consisted of about a quarter mile up very steep narrow staircase, some amazing views from the other side of Waipio Valley, a beautiful walk through the woods, and three small waterfalls. From the little that I experienced I definitely want to go back and do the whole trek to Waimanu!

One thing to note is if you do want to hike to Waimanu or to the other side of the Waipio Valley, you have to cross a river, maybe 10 feet across? On the way there, the water level of the river was at my hip level and a couple hours later in the evening the water level was up to my chest. So be prepared... You will get wet! :P Well worth it tho!

Strongly recommend driving down to the beach if you have a 4 wheel drive. The 2 miles to get down are on a paved road and not as scenic as you can get once you start the hike from the beach.
Great views saw 3 waterfalls!!! Also go early because as the tide goes up it gets its harder to cross over the water that goes into the valley to start the hike.

steep hike down into the valley but totally worth it. we kept going on the trail through the flooded roads and ended up at the horse stables. the beaches are beautiful and i imagine would be a great place for surfing. be careful and watch out for passing trucks and locals speeding by. bring plenty of water

Good hiking once you get down the steep grade paved road. If we would go again, definitely drive our Jeep down the road to the beach and begin the hiking adventure from there.

You will remember this hike for days - as in the aches and pains in your legs! It was beautiful though. We arrived as the tide was rising so we chose not to navigate the large rocks on the beach. It's definitely a fascinating experience.

It’s a gorgeous and sacred place! The steep road isn’t that hard if you’re in ok shape. Please pack out what you pack in, that includes fruit peels and anything that wasn’t there before you got there. It’s infuriating as a visitor to see trash. Not to mention how the locals feel about it! Respect the locals and private land. Do not trespass to get a better Instagram picture! Respect nature and it’s forces. If the river is too high and fast, don’t try to cross it.
We counted 7 waterfalls in the valley! I’m talking massive waterfalls!

The trail is indeed steep, but it is also shaded by the lush landscape. We did not cross the stream, but the beach and viewing the double waterfalls was amazing. I would rate this as moderate plus-I sure don't think it is as hard a Koko Crater on Oahu! We lucked out and had a partly cloudy day, which helped. Big Island Brewhaus has Happy Hour from 3-6 and we made it. They have an amazing menu with many vegan and vegetarian options.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Enjoyable and picturesque trail to hike. Took us about 2.5 hours to complete, and the final trek up the steep grade took about 30 minutes. The stream outlet was in the center of the beach and water was flowing fast at least one foot deep and about 20 feet across as it was a rainy day, so be careful if you decide to ford it. We recovered afterwards at Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea and enjoyed an award-winning local brew with homestyle pub meal.

Saturday, March 17, 2018

As the locals say “1 mile down-10 miles up”! Worth the leg burn down. Beach and waterfall views are awesome. Think Stairmaster going up! Pack water, snacks and wear good shoes. Go earn that beer! Recommend the nachos at Big Island Brewing in Waimea for post-climb refuel.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Amaizing hike

Sunday, February 04, 2018

The trail has great views of the bay. It is strenuous on the way back. Tallest waterfalls in Big island is visible on the hike when you follow hike along the back waters. Black sand beach is very nice too. Should visit in the morning hours as later than noon gets very hot in the valley.

Saturday, February 03, 2018

Beautiful beach! We hiked in the morning (10:30am-12pm or so) and were happily in the shade throughout. The sun was starting to appear over the road as we were reaching the end of our return trip out of the valley. The steep ascent would have been much more strenuous in full sun so recommend visiting in the morning.

Thursday, February 01, 2018

no more than a moderate hike to follow the very steep county road to the valley, then to follow along the valley floor to see magical vistas of a waterfall, wild horses, and walk along the amazing beach. we checked with the warden - so long as you are on the county road and beach you are not on private property. got busy by the time we were coming up the road - be careful for cars and stupid (not local) drivers who don't know what they are doing. we hiked the length of the beach and far enough up the (otherwise overnight) trail on the far side of the valley to look back from another angle - highly recommended. please respect the private property of others who live here so that the well behaved public can continue to enjoy this sacred valley.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Killer

Friday, December 29, 2017

Information on this trail is misleading. It is a 6 mile round trip. The first mile or less is down an extremely steep road used by vehicles too. Once you are down you take the road to your immediate right to the beach. If you go straight you see the waterfalls from the road but can’t take the path to get closer. The signs are clearly marked trail closed. No trespassing. If you continue on the road you can cross two streams to a dead end. The views are spectacular. The road back up is a killer but you don’t need to be an experienced hiker just be in reasonable shape. It’s really really steep!

Saturday, December 02, 2017

Steep hike down and up. Up was rough. Saw wild horses at the bottom and the black sand beach was amazing. Worth the walk back up.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Favorite hike on the big island. Make sure to spend some time on the beach and walk to the switchbacks on the other side.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Into and out of the valley is steep paved road. Walking trails and black sand beach are beautiful. If you are lucky you will see wild horses. Well worth the steep hike out. Bring water.

Monday, November 13, 2017

The road itself is short, but very steep (20-25% gradient). Views are very beautiful. Bring water. There are port-a-potties at the floor of the valley near the beach. Worth seeing the valley from the bottom.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017