Manuka Nature Trail

moderate 26 reviews

Manuka Nature Trail is a 2.1 mile loop trail located near Captain Cook, Hawaii, Hawaii and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 426 feet Route Type: Loop

About 1/4 mile into the trail, I came across a wild boar. There were a lot of mosquitoes. This is not a strenuous trail but there is some uneven footing.

This trail goes through dense vegetation and you will encounter a lot of mosquitoes and slippery rocks to navigate on the way down. There is a super interesting tree at the trailhead that sports giant evergreen pom poms and has 6 foot tall "cat tails" growing up out of it! But the most interesting part of the hike was the loud rumbling I heard. Thought it was a plane, but then thought about how I was walking on the Southwest Rift zone and how the recent seismic activity on Mauna Loa is mimicking conditions prior to the 1975 and 1984 eruptions! Hmm...

We are novice hikers in our 60’s. Trail was challenging but no worse for wear. A little disappointed there were not more view points. We stopped at the botanical signage but at this time in January no flora in bloom. I did see the biggest butterfly I’ve ever seen. It was probably about 8” tip to tip.

Great trail. Lots of vegetation. Trees. Not very kid friendly. Rocky loose. Roots. Great trail. Ran thru in Sandals. Still out of breathe. Beautiful.

As a local I love this easy quick hike. There are a lot of mosquitos so bring some repellant if they are attracted to you. Lots of Ohia trees and a cool looking crater which is a little off trail. If you are visiting and are looking for views this is not the hike for you.

Good hike, however lots of mosquitos (had to rush thru it, they love my blood) make sure to have mosquito repellent. I forgot mine :(

A little hard to follow the trail in some places. But beautiful hike through at least two ecological zones in 2 miles. Took us 90 minutes and we are not super slow.

While this trail wasn't awful, it definitely doesn't showcase the best Hawaii has to offer. Recommend wearing sturdy/thick sole shoes, as it's rocky in parts. Took 2 of us about 45 minutes going a moderate pace.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Not the most exciting trail, but nice if you want to experience a nice semi local forest (this is a planted area after one of the lava streams went downhill).

Sun Jan 13 2019

Not much to see. You see a pit crater to your right (you’ll see a log on the ground and a warning sign behind the leaves, which we almost missed.) which is not much. Wear sturdy shoes though because my boyfriend wore sandals thinking it would be an easy hike (it was), but he accidentally slipped and cut his big toe. So be careful! Nice and green, but not much to see.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Agree with the other reviews, not a lot to really absorb. Trail is somewhat overgrown in areas and the bugs were out. The park and overlook before entering the trail is very nice.

Sat Nov 24 2018

Not great. I hate saying a trail is “bad”, but being thousands of miles from home with finite time to explore this island, I feel like this hike was a waste of time. No views, kind of overgrown in places, and just a few interesting flowers. Should have listened to previous reviews.

Thu Apr 27 2017

fairly easy trail did it in slippas. some chunky rocks, need to watch footing in some areas. about 90 min

Sat Mar 18 2017

The Good: Well maintained trail - gentle inclines with stairs in the steeper places; most fallen timber recently cut off the trail. Convenient - the trail head is less than 100 yards off highway 11 with ample free parking and restrooms. Quiet - You can't hear the highway despite the proximity; it feels like you are much deeper in the bush than you really are.Variety - there are lots of different plants and birds to see. The Bad: Almost all of the trail bed is either rocky, rooty, or covered in chunky, unstable lava-rock gravel - a real ankle-turner. It is not a pretty hike. The forest is a dense tangle of undergrowth and fallen dead wood. You can't see far beyond the trail itself, and density stifles any breeze. The air is stagnant and the trail feels closed in and claustrophobic. I can see how it would get a reputation for being haunted. While a lot of fallen trees had been cut clear of the trail, there were a half-dozen or so that hadn't and we had to climb over them. Conclusion: If your time on the Big Island is limited, and you really want to feel like you are deep in the bush, this is a convenient little hike, but it is not particularly enjoyable.

Sun May 15 2016

Great hike. Nice trail Many plants and flowers Few geocaches. Liked it a lot

Fri Feb 11 2011

We hear this area is haunted, aparently featuring a couple of ancient Hawaiian grave markers (?) Some have reported quite violent, paranormal incidents. So although we live only c.20 miles from this trail, we haven't yet attempted this one. Reportedly the native flora is outstanding. This may motivate us to muster enough courage to try it some day!

recorded Manuka Nature Trail