Samaria Gorge Trail

Samaria Gorge Trail is a 17.9 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Samariá, Crete, Greece that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

17.9 km
3625 m
Point to Point

beach

Mostly downhill on some loose gravel. Easy enough walk but you are occasionally sharing the trail with donkeys. The trail follows a clear creek that you can drink from and passes many Byzantine ruins.

beautiful track with amazing views. the mountains are breathtaking and you can see the details of how the gorges were created.
Long decent to start with as you only get the narrow gorge part around 7km into the walk. really worth it if you are in Crete.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING must do hike while in Crete. Highlight of our 2 week Athens, Crete, Mykinos and Santorini trip!! Tough on the knees. Highly recommend trekking poles and lots of food.Took my daughter(26) and me (64) four and 1/2 hours to get to the beach where we promptly jumped in!! Be sure try to do the last 3km through the old village to the beach which is only slightly downhill!!

The only thing that makes this a hard hike is the length. I have fragile knees and ankles but I took my time and went slow. I wish I had trekking poles and good ankle support but I did this hike just under 6 hours in trail tennis shoes. I was sore for about 3 days. Views were amazing and the ocean at the end is truly beautiful. Great hike, super exotic rock colors, clear pristine mountain streams, amazing ancient shrines and villages. Very cool. Bring snacks, maybe a sandwich and water, but there are fill up point along the way.

Did this 20 years ago, and loved it even more this time!

Great hike. Bring any food you need. Plenty of water along the route but perhaps bring electrolyte tablets to add to your bottles. Make sure to have stable good shoes.

A must-do when visiting Crete! Beautiful views, well maintained and after the hike you can chill in the sea, so take swimming clothes! :)

Absolutely gorgeous. Maintain well and very much so worth the adventure. Rented a car and started at the top, figuring we would be able to hike back up. Which we were not allowed to because of time of day, had to explore the town at the bottom and take a boat to get to another small town lol. I love Crete!

Amazing hike. Took us about five hours. Don't forget to stop and look around once in awhile the views are stunning.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Summer 2008 - Incredible trek through the gorge. Trail is beautiful throughout.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Great and scenic! A beautiful hike! The trail was a little crowed at times but well worth it!

Friday, April 29, 2016

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Steeped in history and a cafe at the trailhead doesn't get much better than that, the gorge was breathtaking.