Samaria Gorge Trail

Samaria Gorge Trail is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Palaiá Agía Rouméli, Crete, Greece that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

15.9 km
2,809 m
Point to Point

beach

An absolute must-do if you are a hiker and want to experience Crete in it's mountainous glory. The hike begins high in the mountains and for the first few miles it is a winding decent down the slope of the mountain. With all the busses dropping off the tour groups it begins very busy but after the first few miles each team sets their own pace and the slack opens up. As the mountain portion ends, the remainder of the decent is following the path of a dried river bed - so lots of rocks and boulders as the terrain! The mountainous scenery and the cliffside vistas are truly spectacular! Easy enough walk but you are occasionally sharing the trail with donkeys. The trail follows a clear creek that you can drink from and passes many Byzantine ruins.

This is a breathtakingly beautiful hike. The crowds are a downside, but don't let that dissuade you if you have the opportunity. Views along the hike are unrivaled. This is not the hike for testing your pace as most of the trail is wet and/or rocky, but that's a plus because it will allow you more time to focus on the amazing scenery. If you're considering upgrading your boots, now is the time. The long down grade is a beating on knees and toes, so bring out your best socks, boots, insoles, etc. Poles might be in order as well.

In other words, be prepared, but definitely do this hike!

Randonnée des plus variées! Un autobus vous amène au point de départ, c’est-à-dire au sommet des gorges! Magnifiques points de vue, ruines, ânes, et falaises étroites de 300 mètres de hauteur!!! Elle se termine sur une plage de sable noir. Le retour se fait uniquement par bateau, car aucun chemin ne s’y rend!

So beautiful!

Really nice trail. Basically only going downhill with nicely prepared stairs for the first cpuple of hundred meter drop. Good to wall. The is one bus in the morning getting you up their from Chania and one ferry at approx 17:30 to get you back to a different bus stop.

An absolute must-do if you are a hiker and want to experience Crete in it's mountainous glory - I'll echo the sentiments of the others! My wife and I hiked this trail last June (2017) on a vacation tour through Greece and Crete. The hike begins high in the mountains (what a ride just to get up there) and for the first few miles it is a winding decent down the slope of the mountain. With all the busses dropping off the tour groups it begins very busy but after the first few miles each team sets their own pace and the lack opens up. As the mountain portion ends, the remainder of the decent is following the path of a dried river bed - so lots of rocks and boulders as the terrain! The mountainous scenery and the cliffside vistas are truly spectacular! I do recommend you wear suitable hiking footwear (not just sneakers) as I had proper hiking boots and was described as a nimble centaur hopping through the pathway, my wife ended up losing both toenails (after a few months) from the improper footwear damaging her feet on the cobbly downwards riverbed. Truly an unparalleled adventure to remember!

Done in June 2009.

A great big hike downhill until you reach the sea. Easy to do but long. Mostly loose gravel. The wall climbing goats are amazing ;-)

I did this hike with my 19 year son in July 2017. It was definitely the highlight of our Crete vacation. It was not a hard hike but you constantly had to look down as it was very rocky. You had to make sure you stepped right so you didn't hurt yourself. Other than that it was definitely worth it. I highly recommend this hike. Loved every part of the hike as it was very beautiful and scenic. The boat ride from Agia Roumelli to Sougia was also amazing. We used Diana's Travel in Chania. They picked us up & dropped us off at our hotel - Porto Platanias. The guide was great!

beautiful track with amazing views. the mountains are breathtaking and you can see the details of how the gorges were created.
Long decent to start with as you only get the narrow gorge part around 7km into the walk. really worth it if you are in Crete.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING must do hike while in Crete. Highlight of our 2 week Athens, Crete, Mykinos and Santorini trip!! Tough on the knees. Highly recommend trekking poles and lots of food.Took my daughter(26) and me (64) four and 1/2 hours to get to the beach where we promptly jumped in!! Be sure try to do the last 3km through the old village to the beach which is only slightly downhill!!

The only thing that makes this a hard hike is the length. I have fragile knees and ankles but I took my time and went slow. I wish I had trekking poles and good ankle support but I did this hike just under 6 hours in trail tennis shoes. I was sore for about 3 days. Views were amazing and the ocean at the end is truly beautiful. Great hike, super exotic rock colors, clear pristine mountain streams, amazing ancient shrines and villages. Very cool. Bring snacks, maybe a sandwich and water, but there are fill up point along the way.

Did this 20 years ago, and loved it even more this time!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Great hike. Bring any food you need. Plenty of water along the route but perhaps bring electrolyte tablets to add to your bottles. Make sure to have stable good shoes.

Friday, July 21, 2017

A must-do when visiting Crete! Beautiful views, well maintained and after the hike you can chill in the sea, so take swimming clothes! :)

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Absolutely gorgeous. Maintain well and very much so worth the adventure. Rented a car and started at the top, figuring we would be able to hike back up. Which we were not allowed to because of time of day, had to explore the town at the bottom and take a boat to get to another small town lol. I love Crete!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Amazing hike. Took us about five hours. Don't forget to stop and look around once in awhile the views are stunning.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Summer 2008 - Incredible trek through the gorge. Trail is beautiful throughout.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Great and scenic! A beautiful hike! The trail was a little crowed at times but well worth it!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Steeped in history and a cafe at the trailhead doesn't get much better than that, the gorge was breathtaking.

Friday, April 29, 2016