Fira to Oia

Fira to Oia is a 20.0 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Firá, ΝΟΤΙΟ ΑΙΓΑΙΟ, Greece that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

20 km
835 m

historic site

Taking our time on a scenic hike from Fira to Oia

Amazing views

I did this trek in early-October while staying in Oia, after an unforgettable ten days sailing the Cyclades. I started in Oia and went a little more than halfway, where I rendezvoused with a friend who was staying in Fira; we walked back together to Oia for dinner. This is a walk-hike mix trail with just enough incline to keep your heart pumping. You're exposed the entire time and I underestimated the need for water -- bring a good two liters. This is a perfect trek for beginner hikers and a must-do for photographers. The distant perspective of Oia (and I imagine Fira) is absolutely stunning. I didn't do this during sunrise or sunset, but will make a point of it next time (although watching the sunrise and sunset anywhere in Santorini are among the best in the world!). There's a bus that runs between Fira-Oia and Oia-Fira throughout the day, so you can make this a one-way hike, if you want. Just check the bus schedule -- and know they won't run on time; you're in Greece!

Did this as my first solo hike. So enjoyable! I began at 6pm and met my family for dinner in ammoudi bay at 830pm (drenched in sweat). Beautiful views of the caldera from high on a ridgeline. The path itself is mostly cobblestone, with some dirt path, ending in the white marble sidewalks of Oia. I recommend doing this as a sunset hike, if you can stand the heat!

Did the walk several times. With cameras and interaction with everything/everybody we saw it took 4+ hours. Delightful!! As a (mere) walk it was 1:50 from Fira to Oia. Worth doing it each morning on a trip filled with good food and drink.

Amazing views. Bring a bag for garbage.