Help keep our trails and parks open during COVID-19 by committing to social distancing. Some trails or park services may be closed so check with local authorities before heading out.
Learn more

Schloss Schweinsburg is a 1.4 mile loop trail located near Crimmitschau, Saxony, Germany that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Loop

hiking

nature trips

walking

running

river

views

wildlife

historic site

Schweinsburg Castle is a moated castle at about 250 m above sea level in Neukirchen in the Zwickau district of Saxony. Remains of the medieval castle are still clearly visible in 1994, it became a hotel annex congress center. As part of the East German colonization in the second half of the 12th century, the city and castle Crimmitschau (Later Schweinburg) was founded by the Lords of Crimmitschau. The basis of the settlement was an older Slavic settlement. The medieval moated castle was referred to in the 13th century as a "vest HUZ cremascowe". Günther von Crimmitschau was elevated to German nobility from 1270-1273. Friedrich von Schoenburg conquered Crimmitschau Castle in 1322. In the 14th century, Schoenburg was forced to transfer sovereignty to the Wettin dynasty. The castle served as the administrative center of this dynasty. In 1486 the name Schweinburg was used for the castle for the first time. In 1743 the castle was destroyed by the Berbisdorf family and converted into a baroque palace. The next owner was Christian Friedrich and Friedrich Emil Robert Meinhold, They were representatives of the 19th century Saxon parliament. From 1908 to 1911 a renovation was done in the style of the neo-baroque. In 1945 the building was expropriated and the bell tower (tower of the castle) demolished. Since then, the historically valuable bell from the Harthau chapel (now Lauenhain) has been lost. Between 1946 and 1989, the castle served as the School Party of the Communist Party / SED, the building then changed considerably; among others, the chapel was converted into a gymnasium with the loss of the historic altar. The castle was renovated in 1998 and was converted into a hotel in the lower castle. This is a small detour around the castle.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!