Oberammergau to Laber to Ettaler Mandl Loop

Oberammergau to Laber to Ettaler Mandl Loop is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oberammergau, Bayern, Germany that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

15.9 km
1269 m

Stunning and strenuous mountain hike.

Bavaria is quite possibly the most beautiful place I have ever visited and my hike up the Laber Mountain indubitably enhanced my Bavarian experience. Located in the quaint town of Oberammergau, the Laber is a challenging hike. I hiked this July 2016 when I was 45 and I consider myself to be in fair to average condition. I had to stop many times to catch my breath but the views were outstanding. I initially took a camelbak full of water and a backpack. Within about 10 min of my hike I wisely realized that I had to lose my backpack, so I hid it and proceeded on my 3 hour hike up the Laber. It was quite possibly the best and most challenging hike in my life. Not challenging in a climbing aspect but in a elevation and degree. I encountered a pack of cows in my initial descent and there was a fair amount of hikers on the mountain. There was an old rustic rest stop that offered cold bier and non alcoholic drinks maybe about half way to the top. The hike gets harder and harder as you ascend but once you reach the top a restaurant awaits offering traditional German food and bier of which I had several. The views at the top were magnificent and I opted to take the cable car back down instead of the 90 minute hike back. Look for the rare Edelweiss flower if you go. INCREDIBLE hike and at night I sat on my friends porch and saw the beacon light at the top of the Laber and smiled because I had been there. Alles in butter. Prost!