Ettaler Manndl Trail

Ettaler Manndl Trail is a 6.6 kilometer loop trail located near Ettal, Bayern, Germany that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and rock climbing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

6.6 km
690 m

rock climbing

Hiking to the Ettaler Mandl from Ettal followed by a tour through the monastery, church, a cafe and a lokal cheese shop. The starts in the small village of Ettal. You walk through the forest along a small river. Later you have to continue via ferreta. It takes about 2.5 hours to reach the summit. The view is great in all directions. After the hiking the village of Ettal offers many activities that include relaxation, food, sightseeing and shopping. There a are many provabilities to sleep in the village.

Very STEEP HIKE! There are no flat resting sections on this hike at all. My family hiked this together. We hiked across the Grand Canyon last year so we are not faint of heart. Even my husband was surprised by the moderate label, especially the last rock climbing section. I am sure the views were amazing, but I did not attempt to get to the very top. We all hiked over to the Laber to enjoy the restaurant. Then my daughters and I took the gondola down to Oberammergau, while my husband and sons hiked back down to Ettal for the car.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

This is a great hike, but it's not a moderate one unless 700m of elevation change and a rather steep 15 min via ferrata climb at the end is moderate for you. Children must be experienced to enjoyably make this trek and a safety harness is probably a must for most children. The 360 view, though, is worth the 4+ hours roundtrip to complete this climb.