Kochelsee, Jochberg and Walchensee Loop

Kochelsee, Jochberg und Walchensee Rund is a 29.8 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jachenau, Bavaria, Germany that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 29.8 km Elevation Gain: 1,341 m Route Type: Loop

This trail begins with a steep stone road. It meanders through the forest before approaching the lake, Walchensee. It is one of the largest and deepest alpine lakes in Germany. Please note that certain portions of this trail may be prohibited to mountain bikes. This is a system of many interconnecting trails, and trail status may change. Please see signs along trek to see if bikes are allowed. There are many other trails in the area in which to connect to and complete the loop on foot or bike or to shorten or lengthen the journey.

I went to Kochel on the train and then caught the bus (9608) to the beginning of the trail. Note, the bus we caught was packed solid so make sure if getting off the train that you are quick to the bus stop. Also, make sure you press the "stop" button on the Bus for at least a second (Stop FA. Dorst). The trail is a slog to begin with, steep uphill on a stone road for about 1.5 hours. Some nice views along the way and is easy going through the trees. I did look to shorten the trip to the top and this was a bad idea as was the middle of April and there was still a lot of snow at the higher levels (and hence the minor paths disappeared). As I was pushed for time I did not do the summit (Jochbeg) but continued walking. I again tried a shortcut to miss out the long way round at Berg. Again a bad idea as the path disappeared after about .5 mile and I just took the shortcut straight down the mountain on a bearing to pick up the path. This was a bit stupid as is VERY steep and lots of loose material to slip on. Best bit was definitely coming out to the lake at Sacherback. When I got to Urfeld I had problems. The path on the map says "PrivateWeg - no unauthorised access" and there is a barrier to stop cars which you can walk round. I was not sure whether I was allowed up the path so decided not to risk itand did not fancy the even longer detour South on route 11. Going North is absolutely not viable as you cannot walk on the road on the switchbacks up the hill (no side path and just enough room for two way traffic).Therefore no option but to end the walk at Urfeld and I took the same 9608 bus back to Kochel station to return to Munich. I was sort of glad as was quite tired at that point anyway and was abut 10-11 miles in.