Höllental Loop is a 15.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 15.9 km Elevation Gain: 1,163 m Route Type: Loop

Höllental, which means Hell Valley, is a valley located in the Wetterstein Alps (Wettersteingebirge) and lies under the Zugspitze (the highest peak of Germany) on the German-Austrian border in the northern Alps. It is located in the district of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. This moderate to difficult round trip starts and ends in Kreuzeckbahn Talstation (Garmisch Partenkirchen) trailhead and is about 18 km, gaining about 1080 m in elevation. If you are spending holidays nearby Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Innsbruck and looking for a beautiful, moderate to difficult hiking trip covering moderate altitudes including an attractive gorge and excellent views of the surroundings, then this is the hike for you. It generally takes about 8 hours for average hikers to complete the round trip, allowing a reasonable time to make refreshment stops.

Awesome hike - very rewarding. We hiked this November 1st, 2018 and there was no snow on the trail. We hiked the route counterclockwise, which allows for a nice reveal of the Zug . This was a 5 star hike, coming from a few Canadians with high expectations! One word of advice - if you’re hiking in shoulder season, confirm that access through the gorge is possible.

Hiked the loop trail counterclockwise. I would have to say the first hour of the hike was very steep and not eventful. If you want to shorten the hike, take the cable car up. Once you reach the cable car station, the hike starts to get better. You finally get on a normal hiking trail and the scenery gets much better. It also did help to have the all trails app running to make sure you stay on the trail. Once you reach a ridge line and you look over, the view became spectacular. You hike down a series of switchbacks and work you way down. I would say I was thankful I didn’t have to climb up these switchbacks. Once down in the valley, you start you way through the gorge. Gorge was an amazing experience. Other than the uneventful, painful climb the first couple of miles, the hike was definitely worth it.

Our hike was Wednesday 9/15/18. It was difficult for me but only because I was out of shape from resting a plantar fascia injury several weeks and recovering from a cold 2 days prior to hike. Preikestolen, Trollkirchen and Trolltunga were all more difficult. Also I wore athletic shoes as I didn’t bring my hiking boots and my feet were wet, cold and miserable. We didn’t make the whole loop but did in and out for total of 8.7 miles. Had I been better conditioned we could have done the loop. For reference I am 61yo and my husband is 54 but we both are in great condition and with exception of my recent downtime we work out regular and run. As to the hike it was absolutely stunning! If you are a fan of water, rock, and flora this is a great hike. Tunnels through the rock feel like caves ( watch your head and hang on to rails, rock/wood wet and slick) waterfalls, forest, wooden bridges, rock trails (ankle support recommended) , everything for the explorers heart! I’ve posted pictures for your pleasure . There were families on this trail, baby’s carried, small children, and dogs. There are places to get refreshments, we didn’t partake but it smelled wonderful! Pretty sure I smelled Kaiserschmarrn! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiserschmarrn Bathrooms are 50c at gorge entrance and the fee for entering Gorge was €5. Each. There may be discounts or free for children, not sure since it didn’t apply to us. http://www.hoellentalklamm-info.de/ can provide more information.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Super

Thursday, August 31, 2017

super track best ever

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Best 4 Euro ever spent! The rocks are a little slippery but the adrenaline rush is

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Amazing hike that can be accomplished in one day from Munich if you are pressed for time as I was. From Munich, take the train to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and then the local bus (outside of train station (stage right) to the Kreuzeckbahn Talstation. Walking is also possible and was about 3 miles. I found a local map which I purchased at the train station bookstore to be helpful for the walk on the way to Kreuzeck. As the author mentions, there are several opportunities along the hike to eat and drink so carrying a pack with food is optional. I also recommend a water resistant shell for the Hoellentalklamm portion of the hike, as water sprays vigorously onto the trail at some points.

Saturday, May 26, 2018