The Path of the English

MODERATE 0 reviews

The Path of the English is a 90.3 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Granville, Normandy, France that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, nature trips, horses, and backpacking. Horses are also able to use this trail.

DISTANCE
90.3 km
ELEVATION GAIN
1,403 m
ROUTE TYPE
Out & Back

backpacking

hiking

horseback riding

nature trips

beach

forest

river

views

historic site

The Customs Trail, created in 1791, allowed the profession to monitor the coast. Used for a century and a half, it has fallen into disuse. From the Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel to the Bay of Veys, the Sentier des Douaniers walks between land and sea. Walk in their footsteps and you will take the measure of the splendors that are delivered to you. From dunes to harbors, large bays to coves, and rocky capes to swamps, the path leads you to discover these unspoiled areas, fishing ports and seaside resorts that line the course, these islands that stand out . Notable points on the circuit: 32- The fountain of Saint Gaud in Saint Pair sur Mer: A day when they lacked water, Paterne and Scubillon begged Christ to grant them a spring of living water. God answered them: Paterne touched the ground and immediately a spring sprang. It would be the source Saint-Gaud, located near the rock of this name. The many pilgrims who came to devote themselves to the relics of the blessed of this village, went to this fountain. 33- The chapel of "Our Lady of the Little Monastery" in Kairon: Our Lady of the Little Monastery "served as an asylum for the hermits of Scissy, then served as a parish church. At the restoration of the cult in 1802, it was kept as vicarial chapel of Saint Pair. An important medieval furniture has been updated by the restoration campaigns. 34- The fisheries at Jullouville: On the coast, at tide down, we guess a stone construction border: the fisheries, established there since the 15th century. This form of "V" made of piles of stones, is used to capture fish and some crustaceans. The few private fisheries still in use are currently for limited use. 35- The bonsai tree of the Saint Jean Baptiste church in Bouillon: The bonsai apple tree that grows on the bell tower of the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church of the 13th century. It seems to spring from the wall and enjoys a reputation due to both its abnormal position and its exceptional longevity, since 1876, the "Magasin Pittoresque" drew attention to this plant phenomenon. 36- The cliff of Carolles: The Cliff of Carolles, between 2 cabins Vauban, offers incomparable panoramas and evokes many stories: legions of Caesar and soldiers of Hitler, vikings and chouans, St Scubilion and Vauban, Gargantua and Satan, gold diggers and dike builders, naval battles and shipwrecks, silence of the leprous monks of St. Clement and malice facetious fetid caves. 37- The Potrel Manor: The Potrel Manor is dated from the 15th century with its magnificent interior decor and beautiful porch with two circular towers. It was donated to the abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel by Duke Robert II, said the Magnificent, in 1029. 38- The paths of the Bay and Discovery at Bec Andaine: This sandy point bordered by dunes is the point of departure of the pedestrian crossings of the bay towards Mont-Saint-Michel, guided mainly by two organizations: The Paths of the Bay and Discovery. The crossings are made in 1h30 and as much for the return. 39- The Church of Notre Dame and Saint Sebastian with the brooms: The church Notre-Dame and st Sebastien, as well as its cemetery are classified. The bells also served to guide people lost in the bay in foggy weather. On the benches of the charming south porch were formerly treated the affairs of the parish. 40- The points of the southern Grouin and Roche Torin: they form elevations ideal to observe the rising tide. During the equinox tides, they are invaded by a crowd coming to witness the impressive spectacle of the flood invading the strike at the "speed of the galloping horse" and the astonishing formation of the wave of tidal bore. 41- The two tithe barns in Saint Léonard: Observe the 2 Barns dîmières of the XVIIth century: one at the entrance of the borough of Saint-Léonard, the another near the church of Vains has been restored. The Manoir de Vains has an interesting architecture: the North facade (XVIth century was fortified and defensive farm, the South facade (from the 18th century) became a manor house, when peace came back 42- Notre Dame des Champs church Avranches: It was located, as the name suggests, outside the city, south.This church of great simplicity, known thanks to a photo and some engravings, dated from the late seventeenth. Too small, it is expected, around 1855, to build a new building, completed in 1937. when peace has come back. 42- Notre Dame des Champs church in Avranches: It was located, as the name suggests, outside the city, to the south. This church of great simplicity, known thanks to a photo and some engravings, dated from the end of the 17th century. Becoming too small, it is expected, around 1855, to build a new building, completed in 1937. when peace has come back. 42- Notre Dame des Champs church in Avranches: It was located, as the name suggests, outside the city, to the south. This church of great simplicity, known thanks to a photo and some engravings, dated from the end of the 17th century.