Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB) is a 161.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Les Houches, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 161.1 km Elevation Gain: 10,366 m Route Type: Loop

partially paved

The Tour du Mont Blanc or TMB is one of more well known routes in Europe and has segments in France, Italy, and Switzerland. This 11 day walk around Mont Blanc takes a clockwise route. There are plenty of accommodations along the route if you need to shorten or would like to extend any of the days of hiking. Usual start points are Les Houches in the Chamonix Valley or Les Contamines in the Montjoie Valley (in France), Courmayeur from the Italian side, and either Champex or a point near Martigny in Switzerland. The highest points on any variant of the trail are the Col des Fours in France and the Fenêtre d'Arpette in Switzerland, both at an altitude of 2,665 m (8,743 ft). While you probably won't get altitude sickness at those elevations, this route will prove challenging due to the numerous climbs. Weather can change quickly, and hikers should be experienced, prepared, and fit. For a list of segments, see: https://www.alltrails.com/lists/tour-du-mont-blanc--7

July 17 day 3

Eye wateringly beautiful scenery. EPIC EPIC EPIC

excellent took gondola to the variation tmb.

Very nice

I recommend this traill for any one looking for existing & challenge..

It was really great experience! We took a lot of food + tent, but it's not necessarily. Because there were many places where you can buy food or rent a tent for a night. Really best route)

A classic to be done by everyone who loves the mountains and culture. 11 days is a good time limit. memories for a lifetime. lots of people and friends to make along the way. the variants are often the best parts of the Tour.

perfect views awesome

Really nice hike. I would recommend taking 12 days for relaxed hiking and one spare day. No need to pack a lot of food as there are many possibilities to buy food along the way. A lot of elevation sets this trail apart from other hikes in Europe (unsurprisingly, it's in the alps). It's exhausting but worth the effort. Beautiful alpine scenery, some snow and cozy refuges. Great hike!

As good as it gets. Amazing views everywhere you look. Would do again in a heartbeat.

The food, the views, the people and the culture made this trip one I would do every year if I could. I highly recommend doing it anti-clockwise, and if you have the gear, camp it instead of staying in refuges. Camping offers you more privacy, better sleep and a more flexible schedule. If you do camp, map out the official campgrounds to stay at, especially in Italy.

Amazing experience. I highly recommend it! I didn’t want to come home after completing the hike.

This was an amazing hike! The views every day were fabulous. Our Trek was an REI Adventure. We had two guides and a driver. Our support team took care of all the logistics so all we had to do was enjoy the hike. We hiked 8 to 10 miles a day. Elevation gain was in the 2500 to 3000 ft range each day with one 4000 ft day. The climbs were very steep at times so be sure to be in shape if you plan to try this trek! It is an adventure of a lifetime!

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Having this map downloaded saved me on day three of my hike. I was going over Col de la Seigne alone and in very bad weather. It was the beginning of June so the trail at that altitude was still completely obscured by snow. It was pouring rain and there were heavy clouds so visibility was only a few meters. I would pull out my phone and check my location in relation to the trail every five minutes. I safely made it to Refuge Elisabetta and was so grateful for this map!!

Monday, July 09, 2018

Four of us did TMB counterclockwise in July starting from Les Houches. We completed the loop in 10 days/9 refuges (or auberges) without taking any bus/train/cable car. We are in our mid-50s. We each carried a 35-40 cubic liter backpack weighing 20-25 lbs including lunch and water. With proper preparation and conditioning, most people can do this. And one can book all the refuges and make other arrangements by him/herself without needing help from commercial companies.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

If I wasn’t so darn old (71) my knee might not have blown out on the first day. It was gruelling we hiked 2000 meters up hill. Definitely take the gondola to the top and start from there. Took 4 hours out of a 16 hour day hike. It is a beautiful hike so don’t be discouraged by my comments. If your young and “FIT” do it.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Amazing!

Friday, May 25, 2018

the best I ever walked

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I hiked this trail in 4 days in 2014. I would like to go back and spend more time

Monday, January 22, 2018

Absolutely loved doing this hike. The trails are incredibly well marked. If not in shape like I was, it’s tough, but doable. Did the 11 days hike, about 10 miles a day. Did a mix of camping and refuges for overnights.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Once in a lifetime experience!

Sunday, November 05, 2017

6 Days trail running with a great deal of training up front and overnights at hotels with luggage transport between (there are services for this). Pretty much one of the most glorious experiences ever - landscape changes every day and you get sheep, cows, rock goats,marmots, glaciers, rock scrambles, winding paths with fantastic resources along the way: water stops and rest stops with bathrooms and meals to buy.

Monday, September 18, 2017

Very varied Excellent landscapes Fairly effortful. I recommend 100%.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Absolutely one of the best treks I've ever done! We camped so carrying all of our stuff made it more of an adventure and much cheaper! Camp sites were great and the scenery is the best you can get.

Monday, August 14, 2017

Best backpacking trip of my life so far! 9 days mostly tent camping. Almost after there was an incredible view from a high up pass that we worked hard to reach. Challenging but so worth it!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Takes time to enjoy it.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Did this trail in July of 2017. To save money my partner and I backpacked which put alot of weight on our backs with our camping gear, clothing and food supply. We had the proper gear but not the proper experience, however we got through it and got to see all the amazing scenery. For both of us being amateur backpackers it was an experience mentally and physically. Would do it again but stay in the refuges and bring less equipment.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Absolutely one of the best hikes in the world. I've hiked/backpacked in Costa Rica, Kenya, Tanzania, Croatia, Nepal, Japan, Peru, Hawaii, and throughout Colorado. I would hike the TMB again any year. My wife and I took 8 days to complete the tour, staying in refuges along the way. It was every bit as beautiful, poetic, peaceful, and exhilarating as we had hoped for. There are plenty of in depth descriptions online. You can hike with as much or as little support as you like. (We put our own trip together from A to Z.) My advice to you is to go do it. Book your plane tickets this month and make it happen. You'll not be disappointed.

Friday, January 27, 2017

completed this epic hike in 2013 and 2015. Amazing experience on many levels. The scenery is magnificent. We were fortunate to have sunny days throughout our hike. The food served at the mountain huts were hearty and plentiful. Sources for water were abundant.