Large South Balcony: Flegere to Brevent is a 5.8 kilometer moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

5.8 km
358 m
Point to Point

Gorgeous trail that can be completed in either direction, featuring a lift at the end of each side. Please note that this trail can only be reached by a lift or by walking from other trails in the area. The Brevent-Planpraz lift is easily accessible from the Chamoix Center tourism office and the Flegere lift is accessed outside the Chamoix Golf Course in Le Praz de Chamoix.

I didn't do my hike on this exact trail, but went to the trailhead and hiked trails that are in the area. I spent a winter weekend in Chamonix (14-16 Dec 2018), and the trail I hiked was Le Flegere. A beautiful hike that ended at a ski station with the next stage to the peak being Le Index, but I was not allowed to continue because of skiers on the slopes. So I had a sandwich, and warm wine then took the Flegere ski lift back into town. I am not sure how to upload new trails into here, but there are countless hikes in this area that AllTrails does not show.

For a December hike in this area, you must have walking sticks (I prefer ski poles for their durability), crampons, and good winter boots. Also, you have to be careful and physically fit because the snow can get quite thick on the trails during the winter. The locals advised me against doing the White Lake (Lac Blanc) walk during this time of the year because the snow drifts can get chest deep. Besides, you cannot see the lake during this time of the year.

Recommended Packing List (Winter):
- Ski Poles/Trekking Poles
- Crampons
- Multiple Layers of warm weather clothing
- Cold-weather boots

Superb!

First whole day in Chamonix and we picked a winner of a day to hike. Bluebird skies and nice temps. Constantly looking at Mont Blanc while hiking from Flegere to Plan Praz. Get to câble lift early to avoid lines waiting to head up.

Thursday, July 07, 2016