Learn more

The Crabmill Canal and Country Walk is a 3.6 mile loop trail located near Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, England that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking.

Length 3.6 mi Elevation gain 728 ft Route type Loop

Pub walk

Description
Waypoints (6)
Getting There

A circular pub walk from The Crabmill in Preston Bagot, Warwickshire. The Crabmill makes the perfect spot for refreshments before or after your walk. The walking route joins a stretch of the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal towpath with beautiful old narrow locks, canal boats and wildlife to enjoy. After crossing a small aqueduct, the route leads you through pastures and along tree-lined bridleways to reach a pretty old ford. The final stretch takes in the imposing hilltop Preston Bagot Church. The route includes several steady gradients but there are no steep sections. Whilst many of the paths are firm, some bridleways can be churned, a couple of fields can be boggy and the ford-side path can flood after periods of heavy rain. With this in mind, good boots are a must (or wellies in the winter months). You will need to negotiate several gates and kissing gates plus one stile (this has a gap for small dogs but larger dogs will need to climb over or be lifted). You are likely to encounter sheep in a few of the pastures. There are a few short stretches of road walking along country lanes, but the traffic is normally very light. Allow 1.5 hours.

The Crabmill is located on the A4189, about 1.5 miles west of Claverdon and 1.5 miles east of Henley-in-Arden. The pub has its own car park. Approximate post code B95 5EE.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (39)
Photos (45)
Recordings (20)
Completed (53)
Fran Ullah
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
MuddyOver grown

I did this today with my 5 and 7 year old, and we really enjoyed it! We wore wellies in case of mud, but it wasn't too bad. Beautiful walk, lovely canal, a few animals, and lots of friendly people along the way! We stopped for an ice cream in Henley in our way back as a reward

Mya Glynn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown
View Mya's Recording
Cahn Stannett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020

Great route really enjoyed it

Zydrune T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 24, 2020
WalkingFloodedOver grown

Amazing easy to follow trail. There are few areas that is a bit more over grown and one path where is pretty muddy. I tooky shoes off while passing through, apart that was brilliant walk. Quite and beautiful :)

Julie Goodall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Walked here today but point three after going down the steps, is very overgrown but it says it’s muddy, we had to turn back as it was really boggy, would need wellies or walking boots even then I don’t think i would go through it

Eddie Fowler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 6, 2020
Hiking

Cracking walk, did it this morning and really enjoyed it. We have had a long dry spell, but there are a couple of boggy bits even after that, so I would say boots essential on this route. One where I will go back when the sun's out again

View Eddie's Recording
Kenny Hirst
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Muddy

what a lovely well instructed walk covering various sites from a peaceful canal to tree lined bridleways and a fab picturesque church. one spot was very muddy/boggy and it hasn't rained for weeks so good luck going that way without decent shoes after rain.

David Moseley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020

This was a beautiful, short walk on a sunny Sunday morning during the 2020 coronavirus lockdown .. so we were pleased to find that, despite its beauty, the route was pretty well deserted. There is an interesting mix of terrain here: rolling hills and canalside strolling, with country lanes, open fields and almost-secret tree-roofed alleyways. I could imagine that following this route after a period of rain could present a couple of hairy spots. Firstly, the ford. Whilst there is a small concrete bridge over the river proper, it would not take much water to submerge the approach path to this bridge. Secondly, there is a short boggy section .. if you were not wearing stout and waterproof boots then I would recommend that you bypass this by exploring the brambles .. even after the prolonged Spring 2020 sunshine we still opted for this cowardly bypass. But still, this is definitely one of the prettier walks in our region of Warwickshire.

Catherine Muth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 22, 2020
Hiking

Lovely walk easy and very pretty. The section described as boggy was boggy even after weeks of dry weather so would avoid when it’s been wet

Mickey Rose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 12, 2020
HikingMuddy

Did this route on 12th January and the conditions were comically bad, but I'm still giving the walk 4 stars as when it's dry it will be lovely. I'm off to wash every item of clothing! And the dog...

Clive Kieff
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 2, 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownPrivate propertyWashed out

Started well but for anybody wishing to do this trail never , ever do it following a heavy night of rain , the first 2 legs are fine , it says beware of the sheep but there was no sheep but cows who wasn’t too keen to have me in their field so my walk became a run until I reached the gate before 30 bulls impaled me ! , app says to cross the “FORD” ...not even half way across and I’m up to my waste in water so my new Peter storm boots are saturated! So I turn back slightly to try and hand rail the ford where I end up in a private field where the owners dogs attack me and bite my arm , no serious injuries but I still have a fair way to go ! Trying to avoid overflowing ford i try to cross a stream which I hoped was maybe 2 foot deep .....wrong ,I ended up being up to my neck , now completely soaked , you guessed it my phone Is wrecked and the £30 I paid the day before for the pro version of ALL TRAILS is now completely useless , not knowing fully where I needed to go I was prepared enough to print off a map and water proof it the night before and therefore eventually making it back to the crab mill ! I was toying with the idea of taking my kids with me on this one , so glad I didn’t I may be harsh rating this trail 1 star but based on my experiences I felt the guidance from the app didn’t prepare me for what I had to endure but my previous military history thankfully did ! Definitely a summer walk not any other season !! P.s I was stung by nettles hundreds of times , fully clothed is a must !

Luke Luke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2019
Hiking

Great walk, really picturesque and plenty of variety. There are some beautiful houses along the way, and the fact there is a pub at the end is a great excuse for a cheeky pint :)

Neil Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
Hiking

Nice trail. Enjoyed our dog walk with plenty of off lead opportunities. Has a bit of everything. Canal walk, fields, stone road, tarmac road, ford with water and back to a lovely pub for refreshment. Some nettles to encounter but not too bad even in shorts.

ian ian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2019
Hiking

Great little walk in a beautiful part of Henley in garden. Some of the houses you pass are amazing and the views are lovely too. watch for those nettles though :-)

Alun gold
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2019

There is a section through some woods where there are some very bitey creatures resulting in swollen hand and arm and some anti biotics. Last mile is back village roads but nice village. A very nice walk if you bring some insect repellent

George Jillard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 30, 2019
HikingOver grown

Great walk. Watch the nettles! Maybe wear long trousers. Took us a couple of hours taking in the views and house spotting!

Sian Faustini
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2019
Walking

We had a wonderful little lunch at the Crabmill with our dog and then set out to do the country walk. The directions were very thorough and we didn't get lost once. We saw a fox whilst passing through the Rookery and came across a few riders on Shire horses. I would definitely recommend this walk to others- It can be a bit boggy walking through the pastures, so just make sure you have some sturdy walking boots or wellies :)

Richard J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2019
First to Review

Lovely walk. The Crabmill pub is closed for renovation and is due to reopen on Saturday 4 May 2019.

Baz Mahmood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
View Baz's Recording
Gemma Rumble
View Gemma's Recording
Roland N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
View Roland's Recording
Ian Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
View Ian's Recording
Mya Glynn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
View Mya's Recording