The Tolkien Trail is a 10.8 kilometer loop trail located near Clitheroe, Lancashire, England that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

Distance: 10.8 km Elevation Gain: 270 m Route Type: Loop

historic site

Thoroughly enjoyable - though slightly longer than the distance promised - I recorded it as 8.17 miles! Picturesque throughout with some amazing views! Can’t wait to come and do it again!

I would recommend this trail to people who have a little bit of hiking experience and do not have mobility difficulty. Beautiful scenery especially if you manage to get into the Stonehurst College. Needs more sign posting as we got lost a couple of times and ended up off track for quite a long while.

recorded Tolkien Trail Part 1

Tolkien trail part 1.

Brilliant 2 and a half hour walk with my four and six year old and the two dogs. Beautiful scenic countryside. Lots of field and off road tracks. Easy to follow route. Dog friendly too. Only issue I had was getting my German shepherd over one stile. There was nowhere for him to crawl through or jump over. I had to throw him over a chest high wire fence. All in all a favulous route that I shall most definitely be returning to!

Lovely walk that myself, my partner and the dogs all enjoyed.

Amazing trail, very peaceful throughout. We took our two dogs and plenty of spots for them to cool off in the river. Not overly busy for a bank Holiday weekend. Will definitely be coming back.

Loved it! Parts where very muddy!!

Dog walking friendly lots of fields without sheep and of course the river

Trail was very nice walking through farmers fields and starts at a lovely pub , which will give you a map of the trail .Well worth a visit .

Lovely walk with different varieties. Suitable for all levels and there are few lovely spots for rest. Some of the paths lead through fields so I can imagine how muddy it can be after or on a rainy day so good food wear recommended.

good walk, was quite boggy in places when we did it so good footwear is recommended

Great walk however does get very muddy in inclement weather.

I loved it and will definitely go for a third time. Good for dogs.

Really enjoyable walk, beautiful country side maybe a little be long for my 4 year old as she complained her little legs were tiered towards to end

loved the trail for the varied sections

lovely walk with some great flora and fauna

Very nice and easy walk. could even be a nice easy run.

Great trail and quite flat except in 2-3 places. not sure of it was because of the time of the year, but we had to go through an area of grassland full of sheep and sheep poo!

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Love this route. Can be very muddy in winter so wear proper footwear. Easy in summer - I did in sandals. Some ups and downs but still an easy walk. Enjoy!

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Beautiful walk through a stunning part of the ribble valley , this walk has a little of everything and well worth making the effort to do it

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Lovely walk, easy to navigate, great on a fine day

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Amazing walk. Beautiful surrondings. :)