Kinder Scout from Edale

Kinder Scout from Edale is a 14.3 kilometer loop trail located near Hope, Derbyshire, England that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching.

Distance: 14.3 km Elevation Gain: 545 m Route Type: Loop

This path begins with a steady climb into a scramble on your way to the moors up a river bed. There is a clear path on the top of the moors until the right turn toward Kinder Scout. There are no marked paths after this point (make sure to download the AllTrails map). The moors are hard; deep drops to boggy bottoms then short climbs to get out of the stream beds before reaching Pennie Way. From here, the rest of the route is easy.

Stunning, my first time in the peaks. I went to wild camp and Jacobs ladder killed me with my heavy gear. I am ultralight now and hitting another loop this weekend wild camping again. If you do camp then be respectful to the environment.

2nd time doing this route, this time we went anti-clockwise. The scramble up the rock was good but the steep decline from Jacobs ladder was cruel to the knees. This I prefer going clockwise around this one. Also we missed out the marshlands this time (didn’t really enjoy that bit) by cutting the route short and going across to kinder scout instead of around. Really love this trek, it challenging and beautiful.

steep stretches at either end of the loop (Jacob's ladder and the valley stream), but lots of fun and a good view from the top. going clockwise I got a little lost from the most northern point to the south east, but heading in the general direction across the moor, you should find the edge you walk along. very windy on the western edge where we stopped for lunch but well worth the climb.

I thought we were going to die once we made it to the plateau because you have no idea what direction to head too. Take maps, plenty of water and a power bank.

5 star review although we did not (unintentionally) stick to the planned route at all! After not downloading the maps and loosing all signal we knew the general direction, it started off as a beautiful walk, looking back our first ‘off piste’ route took us walking directly up a stream, clambering over rocks, plenty of other people were doing it too and it was great fun, we were just concerned on the ranking of moderate! After about 2 hours of walking we gained signal and realised from our lunch stop, a great view from great heights, we’d set off in the wrong direction and were closer to the start point than the path we intended to go on, we retraced our steps and carried back on the trail, we decided to ‘cut our walk short’ and skipped kinder scout, taking a path straight across the loop to Jacobs ladder. The entire walk including the walk to the charity car park in edale was 17km. The views were beautiful, we’ll definitely be back with either maps downloaded or an old fashioned printed map to make our way around. Enjoy! (Edale charity car park was £5 donation for all day, and the ramblers inn was a great stop off on the walk back)

We took this trail anti-clockwise which is probably the way I would recommend. We started in Edale at the train station and it begins with a steady climb into a scramble at the end of the ascent to the moors up the river bed. On the top, the moors are easy as there is a clear path at first, until the right turn toward kinder scout. There are no paths after this and we picked up another couple doing the same route but we’re hopelessly lost. I had to resort to compass and just cut across the moors when I found I had also been heading in the wrong direction. The moors are hard, deep drops to boggy bottoms then short climbs to get out of the stream beds. We were pleased to finally reach the Pennie Way. The rest of the route was easy from there although we were exhausted from the cross country detour. I recommend this route, but be prepared for the moors. A map and compass here is essential. It is possible to cut the moors out I saw on the map but this does shorten the route and make it a bit easier. All in all though I thoroughly enjoyed the walk.

Went clockwise around the trail, starting off quite easy from Edale up to the bottom of Jacobs ladder. A long incline to the top where we were met with some blistery showers before getting lost in the boggy moors for quite a chunk of the trail. Finally finding the path that lead us scrambling down rocks to get to the bottom. Ending the trek back in Edale for a well deserved shandy. All in all a beautiful trek and the most challenging on yet!

Nice 16km circular walk starting and ending at Edale. Elapsed time was 4 hours, I rushed a bit as I only had change for 4 hours parking at the NT car park in Edale, otherwise I would have taken it a bit more leisurely. I would also avoid the short detour over the moors, not really worth it, I was lucky it was dry, I suggest to stick to the main paths.

lovely walk but very rocky to get to top need good legs to climb up

lovely walk!! V boggy in places..wear wellies or take spare socks

Did this walk on the 24th of Feb, was very busy because it was such a great day but didn't spoil it. Favourite walk this year so far highly recommended

great

A good hike but I’d grade it as moderate to hard, for a couple of sections in particular - it’s a tough-ish scramble up the river valley to get up onto the plateau at the start and once up there some of the route over the top can be very boggy and without much in the way of a visible path. Still worth it for some great views, waterfalls and wildlife though. Allow 4-5 hours.

Did this brother in law his daughter and her friend brilliant adventure and raised money for a charity on the 12 August did rock climb

This is a really nice walk in the Peaks. Depending on fitness of course, some tough(ish) inclines up Jacob's Ladder up to Kinder Scout, then a nice casual decent. This exact trail, half way through, takes you off the official path and across some often boggy undulating moor. Personally I'd suggest sticking to the path.