Castleton, Mam Tor, and The Great Ridge Walk

Castleton, Mam Tor, and The Great Ridge Walk is a 12.7 kilometer loop trail located near Buxton, Derbyshire, England that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 12.7 km Elevation Gain: 579 m Route Type: Loop

This ridge walk offers amazing views of Edale Valley, Hope Valley, and the edge of Kinder Scout. Leaving from the car park, turn left towards the main road and then right towards the path past the hostel. You will make your way up to the summit of Mam Tor. After leaving Mam Tor, continue on the path to Hollins Cross. Several paths meet here so be sure to keep straight towards Black Tor, crossing a stile and reaching its summit. You will then keep on the path to Lose Hill Pike which offers spectacular views. From here, continue on to Castleton. You will turn right after Spring Bank and follow the path. There will be a few more stiles before meeting a paved lane into Castleton. After passing through Castleton, you will make your way onto the path Cave Dale at the end of Back Street on Bargate. You will cross several caves on your way back to the car park including Nettle Pot.

We did a different route couple of months ago. The view at the too was excellent. Hard at times particularly when you start climbing up near the blue john cavern

Took a slightly different route, but was good overall. Nice views

Great hike. We went a very very long way round and walked through Winnats Pass which is stunning!

great views! very different throughout

Amazing walk! When we went the weather was amazing! Could see for miles, views were incredible. We even got sat and watch 4/5 paragliders from the top, which was amazing to view. Definitely can not wait for another sunny day to venture up there again!

The walk is moderately challenging and we did it with our small dog. There is steep paths at points and we had a rocky descent from Mam tor but it was not strenuous but could be challenging for some. Really enjoyed it and would recommend

It was lovely to see but it was raining and windy. Could not get up mount Tor as it was too dangerous. We will go back when it is dry and warm

Started in Castleton and went clockwise around the trail. The tors were challenging going up but nothing too difficult. Took just over 4hrs including lunch and taking in the wonderful views. My favourite trek so far!

I don't think I'd call this easy... I think the easy bit is navigating it... The hills are challenging though but it is beautiful

beautifull amazing trip

Great walk

Great walk, lovely views, come here often with my dog and not far to Castleton for local ice cream

Really nice walk, but get there early if you wish to beat the crowds, arrived at the car park (£5 for the day) at 8am and no one was about. But when we returned 4 hours later (30 min coffee break) the car park was overflowing. Would definitely walk again.

lovely walk xx

Really pretty, challenging but not arduous. Walked in the snow, invigorating and just enough

This was a lot tougher than I expected as the previous reviews had said it was rated easy. There was about 2 foot of snow when I did it which made it more like a moderate/hard trail. It was really good and some great parts. Passing the castle and cave section was cool. I’d advise that you do it anti clockwise so that you finish at a heigh point.

Marched up this! Foggy at the time but when the sun came out the views were incredible

Watch the weather

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Such a lovely walk, only took around 3 hours

Sunday, June 10, 2018

It was the first hike of my parents both 60 yo. Wasn’t too tiring and they enjoyed fantastic view all the way.

Friday, June 08, 2018

My first hike, and what a lovely one I think I will hike way more often after this !

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Nice walk, great scenery. I followed the app and would rate the walk at least as moderate unless, I went off route. The app performed well, thankfully. It was my only guide, the GPS seems very accurate.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Fab walk on a sunny day. Amazing views. Will be visiting again for sure!

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Lovely walk - Cavedale was a definite highlight!

Saturday, April 21, 2018

good walk, great views but tough for us unfit novices.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Beautiful view. Easy trail to hike and walk. Good for all ages.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Rather easy walk, beautiful scenery. We walked mainly in the rain so there was a lot of mud and even a stream on some parts of the route.