Barrow-in-Furness to Ulverston via the Cistercian Way

MODERATE 0 reviews

Barrow-in-Furness to Ulverston via the Cistercian Way is a 14.8 kilometer point-to-point trail located near Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, England that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking.

Distance: 14.8 km Elevation Gain: 269 m Route Type: Point to Point

hiking

walking

lake

partially paved

river

views

historic site

The Cistercian Way starts at Grange-over-Sands and continues for 33 miles passing through Cartmel, Ulverston, Dalton, Furness Abbey  and finishing at Roe Island outside Barrow. This route follows in the monks steps from Furness Abbey finishing in Ulverston. Furness Abbey was one of the richest Cistercian monasteries in England (exceeded only by Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire) and has stood on this site for over 700yrs. English Heritage have installed an emergency restraining system following severe cracking in the walls of the presbytery. Ancient stonemasons building on soft ground supported the walls on hue oak timbers which are only now giving way. At 14th century Dalton Castle the tower is believed to be the Manorial Courthouse for Furness Abbey and is in the hands of the National Trust. In front of the castle is a water fountain commemorating the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. The church of St Mary's and St. Michael's at Great Urswick is the oldest in the Furness area and dates from 10th century. Inside are the remains of the 'Tunwinni' cross, dated as 9th century. Great Urswick stands at the side of Urswick Tarn the largest expanse of water in the Furness area and a haven for wildlife. Swarthmoor Hall is an Elizabethan house built in 1586 by George Fell a local landowner. He was followed by his son Thomas whose wife Margaret met in 1652 George Fox, the founder of the Quakers. The hall became the 'powerhouse' behind the Quaker movement , which spread all over the world. It is now a Quaker retreat and conference centre. Ulverston railway station was opened in 1874 by the Furness Railway Co. It's restoration has had the support of the Railway Heritage Trust and numerous local bodies. It is tribute to the early railway builders and still a working station on the Lancaster to Barrow line.

No one has reviewed this trail yet. Be the first!