Cotopaxi Trek

Cotopaxi Trek is a 7.2 kilometer out and back trail located near Ovejería, Pichincha, Ecuador that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking.

7.2 km
1,262 m

rock climbing

I love Cotopaxi. I’ve always wanted to climb it even last year (where I came so unprepared). I didn’t even make it to the Refugio. This time we signed up with two guides to try to reach to the top. Weather in June is not great. Terrible winds (maybe 40-50 miles per hour). Super intense. I still didn’t make it to the top. The Refugio is nice and clean. They definitely have TP. Although toilets don’t flush but at least they have buckets of (glacier) water so u can use them to flush the toilets yourself. For those that climb the mountain at night they have nice rooms with bunk beds to sleep. They provided dinner ( nice corn soup). Although, I didn’t summit again this time, it was a great experience and I will try it again hopefully next year.

I love Cotopaxi. I’ve always wanted to climb it even last year (where I came so unprepared). I didn’t even make it to the Refugio. This time we signed up with two guides to try to reach to the top. Weather in June is not great. Terrible winds (maybe 40-50 miles per hour). Super intense. I still didn’t make it to the top. The Refugio is nice and clean. They definitely have TP. Although toilets don’t flush but at least they have buckets of (glacier) water so u can use them to flush the toilets yourself. For those that climb the mountain at night they have nice rooms with bunk beds to sleep. They provided dinner ( nice corn soup) although I didn’t summit again this time, I will try it again hopefully next year.

Visited at the end of April 2018. Did not trek to the summit. You need a guide to do so. Did a day hike. Took the Zig Zag trail up to Jose Rivas Refuge and continued on to the Lower Glacier. Quite strenuous due to the high altitude! Not steep, no rock scrambling or anything, just thin air. The slightest movements take effort. Elevation is around 15,000 ft when you start the trail at the parking lot. Never really saw the sun on our hike, clouds rolled in and out (which was neat), got snowed on for about 25 minutes on the way up, but yes, we did see the summit on several brief occasions- magnificent! Loose pebbles on the way down. I slipped and fell a few times. Our hike was 2.6 miles roundtrip, took us almost 4 hours- 1 hour of which was spent chilling out at the refuge and over by the glacier. At the refuge, we used the bathroom (no TP, toilet did not flush) and got our passports stamped inside. Crowded inside, drinks/snacks available, lots of flags hanging on walls- people sign them. We drove up and entered the park via the north entrance- it was sunny along the way, bumpy road, incredibly scenic. Saw llamas and wild horses too! Overall, great experience! Prior to this hike, we did one acclimating hike at Pasochoa (did not reach the summit) and spent one other day in Banos. We were definately effected by the altitude on this Cotopaxi hike. We both felt swimmy-headed and fatigued from the get go. Stuffy nose, massive headache on the way down. I suppose it doesn't help that we are from the flat lands of Florida!

Extremely difficult. Plan 2-3 hours for ascent.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

It is important to stress that my hike include ONLY going to the Jose F. Ribas Refuge at an elevation of 4800m and NOT to the summit of Cotopaxi.
The weather can be unpredictable as it was sunny and warm at the carpark and cold, wet, and rainy on the trail. Some type of head protection, and gloves are helpful. The trail is not technically difficult, but the effects of the altitude on the body become evident rather quickly. Trekking poles are a help. You can take the trail straight up (which is what the locals do) or you can be like us gringos and take the trail with the switchbacks. The smell of sulfur on the air is a gentle reminder that this is an active volcano.
The Refuge offers hot chocolate and a place to rest, but not much else. It is the "base camp" for the summit treks, from what I understand. Photo op with the flag and sign. The route is very heavily trafficked as most of the locals come here - especially on the weekends.