Plitvice Lakes National Park Loop

Plitvice Lakes National Park Loop is a 11.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Osredak, Licko-senjska, Croatia that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

11.9 km
338 m

cave

Plitvice Lakes National Park is one of the main and VERY popular parks in Croatia. Even in the off season there are a lot of tour buses. Get there RIGHT when they open and get walking around. Nice waterfalls and crystal clear lakes.

We hiked the “E” trail because we arrived in the afternoon - it’s a 2-3 hour hike. Absolutely beautiful - hard to describe with words. A wonderland of flowing water, waterfalls, crystal clear blue water. Worth any time you can spend there. We hope to return some day to hike the whole area - an 8-9 hour experience. We hiked barefoot even on the wooden walkways. Otherwise, good shoes are recommended. We parked in parking lot 2 and started our trail after a short boat ride across the lake.

Extremely photogenic park with a variety of hiking trails. We hiked programme "K" which was about 11 miles long. Get to the park early to avoid the crowds that peak in the afternoon. Here is my trip report with a bunch of pictures: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/croatia-national-parks/

Cool

Wow. Wow. Wow!! If you’re in Croatia, this is a definite must. There are plenty of bus day tours to the park from Split and Zagreb, but I highly recommend spending the night at one of the many nearby chalet-style BandBs. The valley is GORGEOUS and will give you the time to explore the park at your leisure (and also see Slunj!).

I parked and began at entrance 1, doing the entire perimeter of the lakes including the upper lakes (the upper lakes aren’t included in the AllTrails map). This added up to 10-11 miles (ignore my recording; I somehow accidentally deleted my recording mid-trail), but 85% of the path is flat so easy-peasy. Don’t worry: you still earn your beer reward at the end! It took me six hours at a pretty leisurely pace with lots of breaks to take it all in and a ton of photo stops (thank Gawd film is a thing of the past).

Some tips:

- Absolutely start when the park opens (8am spring/fall; 7am summer). Why? Because of those “plenty of bus day tours” I mentioned. The park gets crowded, quick, and you want to jet ahead of the (annoying) single-file lines of tourists taking selfies.

- Wear hiking boots if you have them. You’ll be thankful for the extra grip and carefree slogging through the mud on the legit “K” trail portions.

- Pack your own food! There are a couple places along the paths to pick up coffee and grab a bite to eat, but it’s over-priced and low quality. Besides, you’ll want to picnic here.

- I did (and most do) the path counterclockwise. I read that going in reverse can give you some extra solitude, but I have to tell you... going against the crowds seemed worse than following in line.

- Enjoy! This is one of the most pristine places on earth!

Stunning

On the right side of the trail many parts are flooded so be prepared to climb a bit if you don’t want to get wet.

Excellent trail for everyone to enjoy the water, waterfalls and the leaves color at fall time. Most shady and well marked for directions. Shuttle bus and boat riding are great services. Strongly recommended for any level of physical conditions.

Incredible views, try to avoid the tourist groups as they are very slow moving. Make sure you bring a raincoat!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Water falls everywhere! Very busy though

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Absolutely stunning waterfalls, its an easy loop. There are options along the hike that may be considered moderate, at the time we did this hike my son was three and we had our dog with us.
We went first thing in the morning for most of our time there was only a few other people. We spent the whole day exploring all the separate trails.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Visited the national park three days ago. Really beautiful hike with the magnificent views at all time . You can take many different routes depending on the time allowed and and fitness level. There are hiking trails available for advanced hikers as well near the entrance 2.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Very beautiful. Highly recommended. Not challenging

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Incredibly beautiful

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Husband and I went to Croatia and at the last minute, decided to get a tour to the lakes as we are from the states. It was not a mistake! We were afraid that it would be hoaky and terrible as it was a huge tourist attraction, but it was great! Though it was crowded (brings a large draw of people, especially bus crowds) it was one of the prettiest places I have ever seen. The water is clear and a green/blue I have never seen before.

This place does dr

Sunday, October 11, 2015

This is a nice place to walk around if you get there EXACTLY when they open to beat the crowds. Also, take the orange trails after you do a quick walk around some of the green ones. The orange / dirt trails are way better and only have a couple people on them. Gets you away from the tour bus people.......AHHHHH they are everywhere. Beautiful lakes and falls. I would love to come back here and do some of the other longer paths that head out into the forested area.

Thursday, June 01, 2017