San Gerardo to Cerro Chirripó

San Gerardo to Cerro Chirripó is a 40.2 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pérez Zeledón, Limón, Costa Rica that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December.

Distance: 40.2 km Elevation Gain: 2,886 m Route Type: Out & Back

Trail was a bit slippery. Freezing cold on top of the mountain. Bring rain gear, warm stuff and gloves! Tough hike all around but very enjoyable.

this was the hardest trail I have done but it was so worth it for the views and wildlife. it took me 11hrs to get to the top and 7 to get down. I split it in 2 days. we did it the first week of may which is officially rainy season in Costa Rica but the weather was beautiful both days I was on the mountain. the forecast changes minute by minute so dont let that deter you from doing it or over packing as we did.

Complete the round trip in one day, total 42km and 3000m of d +, we left the morning at 5:45 am and return in the evening just before darkness 18:00! A beautiful 12h of effort, we walked quickly 3.5km / h without really taking time off. There are two points where you can get supplies (water / toilet / food / liquor), the first at 7km and the second at 14.5km. It was very hot do not forget sunscreen and cap! Great trail, very well maintained and great views !!

Sat Jun 17 2017

Extreme difficult for a beginner, but worth the struggles in order to reach the peak during a storm. The trail was washed out from the storm. 14 hours up and 11 hours down, with an overnight stay at base-camp. I'd do it again.