Catarata La Cangreja is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bagaces, Guanacaste, Costa Rica that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,085 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I don't think I realized what I was getting myself into when I started this hike lol. It was tough! We hiked it in March which is the hottest month of the year. I made the mistake of just wearing hiking sandals. Some parts were so steep and rocky which is rough on the ankles so I definitely recommend boots if you have. It was a beautiful hike though and takes you in and out of different terrains. The last stretch that descends to the waterfall was quite difficult (especially when knowing you have to climb back up that afterwards). The waterfall itself was stunningly beautiful and felt so refreshing- although you're technically not supposed to swim in it luckily nobody was around to stop us- no way was I gonna go through all that and not jump in! As I expected, the hike back was pretty hard for me as it's a lot of uphill. I'm a pretty avid hiker but do get winded easily. I felt so accomplished though once we got back to the car- like I can do anything now!

This is a wonderful trail! Through the dry forest with huge beautiful trees, into the prairies with beautiful views, then down the rocks to a gorgeous waterfall! Told no way to do it in under three hours, but I made it in two hours and 27 minutes! Have to catch a plane now, and will travel home with a big smile on my face! It's great for solo traveler because you do see others, but at 8 AM it was not very busy! Totally worth the travel :-)

Long trail but good reward at the end with a gorgeous waterfall and some relaxation. The hike back is the hard part! Saw some Iguana and lizards, unfortunately no monkeys! Overall great trail and great workout.

the Rincon de la Vieja it is very hot. The terrain is very arid, almost desert and the soil gives off a very high temperature. So a cool bath can really feel like it. This waterfall is 2,6 km away so a total of 5 km .

Beautiful! Mostly shady but some sunny places. The way back was steeper than the way there. But so worth it after seeing the waterfall. Saw many monkeys, butterflies and even a 10ft+ boa constrictor at the end of the hike!

Tue May 07 2019

Sat May 04 2019

Make sure you pay your $15 at the Rincon de la Vieja National Park office (newer building with modern architecture) at the trailhead, not the private waterfall/swimming hole next door. Nice hike, but very hot and dry in late April/early May. Fortunately, the waterfall was still running strong. We paid an additional $10/each to swim in the lower, private waterfall to cool off after the hike.

Thu Feb 21 2019

Fun hike overall that is moderate difficult level due to a few a few steep portions of the hike. The hike is interesting since the hike includes streams, jungles, and more aired climates. We saw multiple monkeys, lizards, and birds. Many amazing trees along this trail.

Wed Jan 16 2019

It was quite windy in January and the surface is badly eroded. We saw two species of monkeys, capuchin and spider. Swimming is now prohibited by the falls but many ignored that. There is a hot spring that joins the swimming hole. Since the park closes at 4pm you must start before noon. A little over an hours drive from Playa Hermosa.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Great hike through the rainforest

Sun Feb 18 2018

awesome! go first thing to have the waterfall/blue lagoon to yourself (or mostly) :) took me about 1.5 hours to get there with plenty of quick stops to check for monkies.

Tue Jan 16 2018

FYI closed on Monday. We tried to hike and were threatened by the local “security guard” as he insisted we pay him $15 per person. Total shakedown.

Tue Jan 24 2017

Good hike through different vegetation to a gorgeous blue waterfall begging you to jump in. Bring the swim suits!

recorded Catarata La Cangreja