Ciudad Perdida

Ciudad Perdida is a 26.7 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Magdalena, Colombia that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and backpacking.

26.7 km
869 m

beach

The Ciudad Perdida (Lost City) Trail is 14.5 miles each way with a fair amount of up and down climbing, and by law, can only be done while accompanied by a guide (about $350). The final 4 miles to the Lost City is a beautiful, ancient stone trail that evokes fantasies of Indiana Jones. An epic jungle journey to the Lost City, the ruins of an ancient city once populated by the Tayrona tribe. Today, the trail passes through land settled by their descendants, the Kogui. It's common to see Kogui along the trail, living as they have for centuries, and their presence only adds to the sense that one is entering another world. Food is both carried and prepared by the guide company, and accommodations are likewise arranged at semi-primitive camps where the groups sleep in either hammocks or cots (w/ mosquito nets). The camps also have showers and flush toilets. Surprisingly, there is also cold drinks for sale at every camp, including beer.

This trail is certainly difficult but well worth the reward along the way and at the end. This trail is close the 40 mi round trip. It is hot and humid but the guides are fun and full of information. i strongly recommend this trip to anyone who is looking for a cultural and spiritual experience. You must appreciate nature and be sure to respect the local tribes.

This trail was just barely worth the struggle. The trail is very steep, up and down, up and down, the whole way to and from, and very very hot. The camps along the way can be crowded and lots of people get sick via a gastro bug. BUT it is a beautiful hike and the Lost City at the end is truly amazing. We used Guias y Banquianos Tours and they were incredible- one of our guides Pedro used to farm the land and was able to give us an authentic history of the region. I have no regrets about doing this awesome hike- just be ready for it!

This was my first multi-day hike. The 2nd day was the hardest, lots and lots of uphill. Arrived in the Lost City the morning of day 3. It was amazing!

Amazing hike!!! I see older reviews talk about hammocks, which is what I thought we would have. My friend and I just completed this 26 Jan - 29 Jan with Guias y Baquianos tour company. we had clean beds that were enclosed in mosquito nets.

Tougher than I expected, but the food and views were amazing!!! I highly recommend.

C’est effectivement un must en Colombie. Nous l’avons fait en 4 jours avec Expotur: compagnie très sérieuse et très organisée.
Le trek commence dans les anciens champs de coca pour se finir dans la jungle à la ciudad perdida. Le retour est finalement bien car on passe à des heures différentes qu’à l’aller avec des éclairages différents.
Conditions d’hébergement rudimentaires mais acceptables.

Must do if you're in Colombia. Can be done in four to five days

Sunday, October 11, 2015

We did the 4 day trail and I would rate hard instead of moderate given that you need to carry your gear and there is quite a bit up & down (we saw several people need to ride the mules back).

Totally worth it but be prepared (you can find several blogs online with lots of good details). It rained 2 of the four days which was a nice break from the heat but made for some slippery trail (and you need to cross the river to the third camp prior to the rain starting.

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

We did the 5 days hikes and we were very happy! 4 days can be really tough! Do not take tour with the indigenous since they are not there to help you if need! One person of our group had a knee problem and had to be treated by an other tour guide. Pack light since it is very hot! Bring a liner because the hammocks are full of ticks. Do it before it get too commercial...!!!

Friday, September 12, 2014

Much more strenuous hike then the guides lead you to believe (we did the 4 day). Especially if it rains. This is one of a small number of trails out there that isn't overly crowded so get in there before it becomes so. Easy to find a guide in Santa Marta which I would recommend over trying to book online. There will be a lot of mosquitos and mud so prepare accordingly. Tip: bring a really light sleeping bag as the hammocks aren't very clean.

Friday, March 01, 2013

One of the best hikes in a lifetime, a classic combo of adventure and beauty.
Went in early February, in the dry season, and mosquitoes were way less an issue than expected.
During the rainy season this trail could definitely get rough, as much of it is steep, soft dirt that would make for tough passage.
Shoot for 4 days, easily doable!
You can check out my trip report in the AllTrails Journal at http://journal.alltrails.com/post/44281243631/hiking-to-ciudad-perdida-colombias-lost-city
GET THERE!!!