Minhang Sports Park Loop

Minhang Sports Park Loop is a 3.1 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Shanghai, Shanghai, China that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January.

3.1 km
45 m

wheelchair friendly

city walk

The trail network around Jinxui Lake is located in the Wetland Ecological Area of Minhang Sports Park in Shanghai. There is a wetland ecological garden around the lake, formed by wetland plants and aquatic plants. In the garden, there is a network of paths meandering through trees, lawns, across streams, and along Jinxui Lake. There are wooden paths and trestles that float on the lake, and provide close views of the verdant water flowers. There are viewing decks and benches throughout the park. This nature area is part of Minhang Sports Park development area in Minhang District of Shanghai. The network of trails leads though lush forests, meadows, and along a lakeside, where stunning water plants form beautiful gardens.

I had a free morning, while in Minhang District of Shanghai. Rather than wait around in my hotel for my colleagues to pick me up for afternoon meetings, I decided to find someplace with a bit of green. The area of Minhang where this trail network is located, is truly an unsightly, urban area of soulless light industrial complexes and streets full of heavy traffic. I found this green zone by looking at local maps. It was a considerable walk in the sweltering humidity of this Shanghai summer morning, but it was well worth the effort.

At first, I was truly amazed that I had been frequently visiting Minhang for a decade, and had never heard of this wetland area. But then some locals explained to me that it was a new nature development area that has not been open very long. In any case, the water flowers in the lake gardens are AWESOME! They were impossibly beautiful! The trails surrounding the lake are also topnotch. They are spotless, with full-time caretakers managing them. There is a nice balance between lakeside paths, wooden walkways, and forest paths that meander through lush forests and across streams and bridges.

There is an interesting network of trails that weave through this lovely green area, so that one could spend the better part of an afternoon walking them. I would guess that there are probably 3 miles or so of linear trails in the network. Although this is probably not a destination for a serious hiker looking for intercourse with primal nature, it is certainly a nice walk for anyone in the area, and worth a visit.

I clocked 7.9 miles on my pedometer roundtrip to my hotel, and dripping wet with sweat and humidity by the time I got back. I smiled for the rest of the day, and kept thinking about the beautiful flowers during my boring afternoon meetings.