The Great Wall at Mutianyu

The Great Wall at Mutianyu is a 10.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Huairou, Beijing, China that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 10.8 km Elevation Gain: 753 m Route Type: Out & Back

paved

historic site

Go early in the morning, so there are less people. The hike is outstanding however be aware of the steep stairs.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Went on a camping trip with Beijing hikers. Highly recommend as the whole trip was excellent start to finish.

Saturday, December 02, 2017

BEST TRAIL EVER!!!!!!

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Great Wall workout.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

I was visiting Beijing for work, and decided to take some friends to visit the Great Wall. Badaling is almost always filled with tourists, so we went to Mutianyu. Our visit was timed for the finish of three days of solid rain. The sky was incredibly clear, impossibly clear for those who are familiar with the typical pollution levels in north China. We went early in the morning, so there were very few people. We had an outstanding hike along the wall, and I must confess, the steep stairs utterly tortured my legs. I am standing in the airport as I write this review, and days later, my thighs and calves are still stiff. This is a great place to visit, if you are in north China, and a great place for a hike in China. I have hiked Mutianyu a few times over the years, and it never gets boring.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018